MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2nd year math tutorials Serene Academics 6 08-18-2010 07:12 AM
1st year business math needed? jcbr100 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-10-2010 11:26 PM
3rd year math courses?? e-norman Academics 1 05-18-2010 12:20 PM
preparing for first year math adamg6 Academics 4 06-21-2008 05:08 PM

First Year Math Exam Help

Old 11-27-2009 at 01:57 PM   #31
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Oh, I just looked at your web page, and I see you've scheduled 1K03 along with others on the 11th.

About 80% of my 1K03 class is ONLY taking calc for psychology, and the psychology exam is the morning after. =/

If you do decide to keep 1K03 with the other courses, or if you decide to have a separate one, I'd suggest moving it, if possible.

I know you have a tight schedule and this is totally out of the goodness of your heart, so I don't wanna seem like a ***** and tell you what to do, lol, but I doubt many people would show if it was the day before psych. =/
Old 11-27-2009 at 02:01 PM   #32
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Technically then, you'll likely benefit from 1-5...well, perhaps not #2 as much...but regardless, this is because:

-For 1: You need limits to define a derivative
-For 3: You need a definition of a derivative to understand what it is
-For 4: It's helpful to go over the 'rules' for computing derivatives
-For 5: Curve Sketching is essentially looking at regions of increase/decrease (first derivative), and concave up/concave down (second derivative).

Given there isn't much demand for 1K03 (if you can find a group of interested people, let me know), for now let's keep it as one large calculus session. I'll try to accomodate the 1K03 people who attend...and if you don't benefit from the group session, I can always stick around after to answer some of your questions. (:

EDIT: Ok given that's the case, I'll have to think about rescheduling...

But seriously consider finding a group of like 5 students. I'll hold another one, even if there's like 5 or more students present...if you can notify people in your class, I'd be happy to accomodate.
Old 11-27-2009 at 02:12 PM   #33
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Technically then, you'll likely benefit from 1-5...well, perhaps not #2 as much...but regardless, this is because:

-For 1: You need limits to define a derivative
-For 3: You need a definition of a derivative to understand what it is
-For 4: It's helpful to go over the 'rules' for computing derivatives
-For 5: Curve Sketching is essentially looking at regions of increase/decrease (first derivative), and concave up/concave down (second derivative).
Lol, we don't use limits.
we don't sketch curves, either. =/
we have 'steps' we follow to find if it's concave up, down, etc etc.
but yeah.
Like I said, pre-pre-pre calculus.

I'll make an announcement or tell a bunch of my friends to see if they'd be interested.

Going to the general math session would probably benefit us in some way, especially if we could stay back after to ask questions. (Y)
I guess it just depends on how many people would be interested in going.
Old 11-27-2009 at 02:56 PM   #34
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Liked: 128 Times

Mowicz, please count me in for 1Z04! Thanks!
Old 11-28-2009 at 01:22 AM   #35
Mowicz
Elite Member

Don't be alarmed by the things I'm going to say here...I'm not intending to scare you, and infact I'm hoping you'll feel more capable (ie. closer to the people in the quote unquote 'harder calcs')

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo.monica View Post
Lol, we don't use limits.
Yes you do. (; You just perhaps don't realize it, but a derivative is a special limit set up to give you what you're looking for (namely, the slope of a tangent line).

You don't have to be able to calculate limits to appreciate with a limit is...but you do have to appreciate what a limit is in order to appreciate what a derivative is, because it's such a fundamental idea. I really think you (and anyone in the course) would benefit from an explanation, so even if I did hold a separate session for you guys, I'd likely explain this anyway.

Quote:
we don't sketch curves, either. =/
we have 'steps' we follow to find if it's concave up, down, etc etc.
but yeah.
Like I said, pre-pre-pre calculus.
The 'steps' you're describing are the same steps done in curve sketching...except you don't do a full solution if you only look at regions of increase/decrease.

Someone fully sketching a curve would do these 'steps' on the first derivative just as you're required to do...then doing the same thing with the 2nd derivative adds more insight (specifically, it gives you a notion of curvature).

And voila, you've sketched a curve. (:

In other words, if I did a curve sketching problem with the other students and wrote up a full solution, you'd likely be able to follow 95% or more of what I was doing.

Quote:
I'll make an announcement or tell a bunch of my friends to see if they'd be interested.

Going to the general math session would probably benefit us in some way, especially if we could stay back after to ask questions. (Y)
I guess it just depends on how many people would be interested in going.
I appreciate that thanks. (: And as I've noted in this post, I think going to the session with the other students would benefit you more than you realize...I mean the integration/sequence stuff likely won't if you haven't covered that, but the derivative stuff has some pretty solid overlap.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking "I'm a weak math student because I'm taking the course that covers less." You're fully capable of understanding the same stuff, and you'll likely walk away from the session thinking "That's not so hard!" at least once. (:

I'd just like to say: It's not that I'm not willing to meet with people one on one, or I want some kind of recognition, etc...I just don't want to book 2 hours of my time during the busiest part of the semester only to have like one person show up, ask questions for 20 minutes, leave, and then I'm sitting there bored for the rest of the time, when I could be doing other things.
Old 12-02-2009 at 10:00 AM   #36
Mowicz
Elite Member

I just found out that I have a take home exam due on December 11th (the day of the Calculus session), and then another due the following Monday, the 14th...So I'll need to reschedule slightly.

Are there major issues with running from say, 10:00-12:00 (on December 11th)? I'd rather get it done earlier in the day so I could work on my exam if I haven't made good progress by then.

Also, for the Linear Algebra session (1B03) I'd like to move it to Friday the 18th at 1:00pm, just out of convenience (I'll already be on campus, invigilating an exam from 9-12).

Again, let me know if there are any major issues.

I apologize for shifting everything around so much, but as was pointed out I'm doing this 'out of the goodness of my heart' (ie. I like to feel helpful :p), but have my own exams etc. going on at the same time. Thanks for your cooperation.
Old 12-02-2009 at 10:03 AM   #37
mellye
Elite Member

Liked: 29 Times

The Math 1X03 is on that friday (the 11th). It's cutting it close, but if there is not other time before then, it's fine. I personally would prefer to have it a day before or so, but that's fine.

And the 18th for linear algebra is fine. I checked with the group of people I invited.
Old 12-02-2009 at 10:12 AM   #38
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellye View Post
The Math 1X03 is on that friday (the 11th). It's cutting it close, but if there is not other time before then, it's fine. I personally would prefer to have it a day before or so, but that's fine.
For the calculus session, I was thinking of putting it a few days earlier for that reason...but I'm not counting on getting much activity from the 1X03 crowd to be honest (let me know if I'm mistaken)...so I'm essentially doing a balancing act:

On the one hand, it's close to the 1X03 exam, (which could be problematic) but on the other, the later exams are so far away (ie. upwards of one week away) and people will likely not have prepared or done any practice if I hold the session so long before.

Trying to optimize the timing (ie. taking its derivative and setting it to zero...kidding...), I think the 11th is about the best we could do.

Of course if you or a small group of 1X'ers want to swing by my office and check if I'm there before the 11th you can feel free to do so...I can offer some support (just please keep my deadlines in mind...I've written them on the calendar page). Other than that, from my experience, you 1X'ers will likely just ask some 'last minute questions' and be able to lead the rest of the students who may not be as well prepared by that point. (In some sense, asking last minute questions may even be more valuable!)

Quote:
And the 18th for linear algebra is fine. I checked with the group of people I invited.
Awesome, thanks. (:

I'm just too lazy to come all the way down to Mac if I don't have to, haha. Plus I may have to have office hours for the course I TA on that day, since their exam is 9:00am on the 18th.
Old 12-02-2009 at 12:03 PM   #39
mellye
Elite Member

I know a few 1Xers that want the review. I can't say I know a lot, but I can safely say about 7 of us. So sure, I'll pm you when we wanna swing by. Any preferred times and dates?
Old 12-02-2009 at 05:17 PM   #40
Mowicz
Elite Member

How is Wednesday Dec. 9th? (In the evening ish...so like maybe 5:00?)
Old 12-02-2009 at 06:23 PM   #41
mellye
Elite Member

sure thing. see you there!!!
Old 12-02-2009 at 08:34 PM   #42
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Okay!! so our professor and TA (MATH 1K03) are going to be holding 2 hour math review sessions to prepare us for the exam, so I guess it looks like you don't have to.

I'm not saying that they're in any way better than you, but I'm looking at it in a way that benefits YOU. No 1K03 session = more time for you to study.

Unless you REALLY want to do one, hahha, but I doubt it. xD It wouldn't be necessary.

Hmm, so I guess all that's left to say is thank you for offering your help to all of us struggling math students, lol, and God bless.

You're awesome! Good luck on your exams!
Old 12-03-2009 at 08:34 AM   #43
Mowicz
Elite Member

Okay I'll keep that in mind. (: But feel free to come by anyway if you have questions.
Old 12-08-2009 at 02:35 PM   #44
Mowicz
Elite Member

For the 1X03 session (tomorrow):

Is it possible to move it to 7:00pm? (And if we do, then I can go until about 8:30, 8:40 instead of just an hour) Again, just a matter of convenience.

Let me know if that's ok Melissa...and otherwise, I'll see you guys tomorrow at 5:00. Feel free to come by ye olde office. (:

EDIT: Actually, I'll just pre-emptively go to the Math Cafe to try to reserve some space...my office isn't equipped to help more than one or two students, so let's meet there instead.

Last edited by Mowicz : 12-08-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-08-2009 at 04:33 PM   #45
mellye
Elite Member

There's 2 or 3 people that have an exam at 7. They were onlyy planning on staying for the first hour, so if we move it, I'm afraid they'd miss out. :( I hope that's alright. I feel kinda bad. :(