MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Textbook question for First Year Life Science lelee890 Academics 1 08-16-2011 05:53 PM
Life Science Schedule Question jon.yoon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-27-2011 05:10 PM
McMaster Life Science Question JonZ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 51 02-04-2011 12:04 PM
General Question about course textbooks/study guide for first year life science? 1styearlife Academics 3 09-09-2010 07:53 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM

First Year Question - Life Science I

Old 08-13-2012 at 11:06 PM   #1
pyravib

Liked: 0 Times

First Year Question - Life Science I
Heey! I just had a question concerning the courses I'm required to take to get into Honours Biology and Psychology.

I was looking at the 2012-2013 undergraduate calender, and after looking through the various second year programs, I realized that most programs allow you to take Physics 1B03 in Level II. However, for the Honours Biology and Psychology program, it says that one of Physics 1B03 or 1L03 is required for admission, and that 1B03 must be completed by the end of Level II. So does that mean that if I don't do either Physics 1B03 or 1L03 in my first year, I won't get into the program? If this is the case, and I don't get in, and get into Honours Life Science or something instead, would I still be able to transfer into the Honours Biology and Psychology program at the end of second year?

If not, then would the department be flexible and add a seat for me for Term 2 if I called in and told them that it's required for admission into the program I want?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-13-2012 at 11:15 PM   #2
Swampis

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyravib View Post
Heey! I just had a question concerning the courses I'm required to take to get into Honours Biology and Psychology.

I was looking at the 2012-2013 undergraduate calender, and after looking through the various second year programs, I realized that most programs allow you to take Physics 1B03 in Level II. However, for the Honours Biology and Psychology program, it says that one of Physics 1B03 or 1L03 is required for admission, and that 1B03 must be completed by the end of Level II. So does that mean that if I don't do either Physics 1B03 or 1L03 in my first year, I won't get into the program? If this is the case, and I don't get in, and get into Honours Life Science or something instead, would I still be able to transfer into the Honours Biology and Psychology program at the end of second year?

If not, then would the department be flexible and add a seat for me for Term 2 if I called in and told them that it's required for admission into the program I want?

Thanks in advance!
If you get accepted into the program and decide to enroll in that program, you will have to complete Physics 1B03 at the latest by the end of second year. I would just recommend taking Physics 1B03 during first year that way in second year, you don't have to waste an elective space taking Physics 1B03.
Old 08-13-2012 at 11:25 PM   #3
pyravib

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampis View Post
If you get accepted into the program and decide to enroll in that program, you will have to complete Physics 1B03 at the latest by the end of second year. I would just recommend taking Physics 1B03 during first year that way in second year, you don't have to waste an elective space taking Physics 1B03.
Ohhh, okay. So, I could get into the Honours Biology and Psychology program without completing physics in first year? And, yeah I get what you mean... I'm just not sure if I really want to do it in first year... I'm not the greatest at physics :( I just wanted to make sure that I did have the option of taking it in second year if I wanted to get into the Honours Biology and Psychology program! But, I'm still debating :$

Thanks a ton!
Old 08-13-2012 at 11:32 PM   #4
Swampis

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyravib View Post
Ohhh, okay. So, I could get into the Honours Biology and Psychology program without completing physics in first year? And, yeah I get what you mean... I'm just not sure if I really want to do it in first year... I'm not the greatest at physics :( I just wanted to make sure that I did have the option of taking it in second year if I wanted to get into the Honours Biology and Psychology program! But, I'm still debating :$

Thanks a ton!
You get a conditional acceptance into the program if you didn't complete physics during your first year. So, you have the option of taking Physics 1B03 during second year if you want. Regardless, you have to take a physics course this upcoming year and since the program you want to go into requires you to take Physics 1B03, that's the reason why I would just take Physics 1B03 now.
Old 08-14-2012 at 10:39 AM   #5
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

You could also always take Physics 1B03 during the summer if you receive a conditional acceptance. I wasn't allowed to take Bio 1A03 until the summer of my first year but required it for entry into my program (Chem Bio), so it was conditional on me completing it in the summer.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences