MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Material Science 1M03 Ohmz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 01-03-2010 01:35 PM

First year science material

Old 04-25-2012 at 05:55 PM   #16
nadia8

Liked: 2 Times

All of the above is true, first year is really just a review in terms of chem and bio and such! Balance is the most important thing you will learn, and through the year you will learn what kind of studying works for you and how to study for different courses. over the summer, I say volunteer and build some contacts. It really is true, that for med school, grades aren't everything, non-academic experience is important aswell! goodluckk!!
Old 04-25-2012 at 06:24 PM   #17
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

PM me with ur email. I can send u this year's slides and stuff to see what ur dealing with (chem 1aa3, second sem)
Old 04-25-2012 at 08:34 PM   #18
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewKim94 View Post
Hi

I will be coming to McMaster this fall for life science and I was hoping I can get some notes/tests/lectures or anything that can be of some help so I can prepare in the summer. I want to go to medical school and I know grades are important. With that said I hear lots of tragic stories about kids who have 90+ average in high school who fail things in first year. I don't want this to happen to me as this will ruin my average so I want to prepare ahead of time if possible. I already got some material from my cousin but his stuff is 6 years old and I assume a lot has changed. So if anyone has any material they are willing to share or know where I can get very similar things it will be appreciated.

Thanks for your time

Andrew
Do you know how that happens? You have a kid who doesn't know how to persevere and gets discouraged by the first sign of failure (ie. a bad test), and lets it effect they do for the rest of the course.

I have no notes, just advice:

Have no fear of failing. I have confidence in my abilities, and I tell myself I'm smart and logical all the time so I never forget!

britb, Bug324 like this.
Old 04-25-2012 at 08:42 PM   #19
Bug324

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrant View Post
Do you know how that happens? You have a kid who doesn't know how to persevere and gets discouraged by the first sign of failure (ie. a bad test), and lets it effect they do for the rest of the course.

I have no notes, just advice:

Have no fear of failing. I have confidence in my abilities, and I tell myself I'm smart and logical all the time so I never forget!
This is so true. I got in the 60s on my first physics 1B03 midterm in the fall. I wasn't happy about it, but I kept a positive attitude and kept working. I ended up doing even worse on the second midterm (53%), then pulled it together for the final and got a 10 in the course. Never give up!

britb, Swampis, tyrant like this.
Old 04-30-2012 at 02:23 PM   #20
miatomasi

Liked: 15 Times

Here's some more advice:

Your university education is YOURS. There are SO many people in university that take courses just to get high marks so they look good for medical school. DONT be one of those people. You have so many opportunities at McMaster and the only way that you will succeed is if you are interested in the courses you are taking.

Using other people's notes will not help you succeed in any way. The key to a successful university career is perseverence, effort, and passion for what you are studying. Instead of studying what you will learn, practice your time management skills, try and figure out how you will take notes and how you will study for tests and midterms. THAT is what makes a successful student.

Have an awesome summer, and focus on school when you need to! Remember, your university career should be the time when you finally get to pursue education in courses that YOU choose. Make the most of it. The more you worry about your marks, the more likely you are to not enjoy your time in university! Relax and have fun. Make sure you're interested in what you're learning and make sure you use these next four years as an opportunity to grow as both a student and as a person

_____________________ _____
Honours Biology & Psychology III

Bug324, Purple2309 like this.
Old 04-30-2012 at 05:23 PM   #21
mastercool

Liked: 22 Times

Strangely enough, I've started preparing myself as well.

I'm a mature student who will be entering Med Rad this September and obviously I want to do well enough to be competitive enough for my chosen level 2 specialization. I've started reading Cell and Microbiology for Dummies and Biology for Dummies. I know this probably sounds silly, but it's interesting material and the author of these books have even provided interesting tidbits that helps the reader memorize the information.

I know (for me at least) there's no way I'll be able to recall everything I've read, but the tips to memorize the information is definitely a plus. The information is presented in an easy to read manner which is always nice too.
Old 04-30-2012 at 05:43 PM   #22
goldfish101

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewKim94 View Post
Hi

I will be coming to McMaster this fall for life science and I was hoping I can get some notes/tests/lectures or anything that can be of some help so I can prepare in the summer. I want to go to medical school and I know grades are important. With that said I hear lots of tragic stories about kids who have 90+ average in high school who fail things in first year. I don't want this to happen to me as this will ruin my average so I want to prepare ahead of time if possible. I already got some material from my cousin but his stuff is 6 years old and I assume a lot has changed. So if anyone has any material they are willing to share or know where I can get very similar things it will be appreciated.

Thanks for your time

Andrew
Be careful!
You might burn yourself out by the time school starts.