MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When can we start purchasing course material from titles? jujumiste General Discussion 9 09-07-2009 03:36 PM
Course Material for Orgo CHEM 2OA3 and 2OB3 Wolf11 Academics 8 07-17-2009 09:14 AM

Material Science 1M03

Old 12-31-2009 at 09:13 PM   #1
Ohmz

Liked: 3 Times

Material Science 1M03
Hi, I was wondering if an upper year engineering student could answer this question. I am trying to decide which edition of the Materials Science Engineering textbook I should purchase, 6th or 7th. I know I should wait until the first lecture, considering Dr. Zurob will tell us which edition to buy, but I was just wondering if there is much of a difference between the 6th and 7th editions.
Thanks in advance

Old 12-31-2009 at 09:49 PM   #2
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

the titles booklist clearly says, you should use 7th edition.

http://titles.mcmaster.ca/text/detai...780 471736967

the basic difference is usually the problems/questions in different editions are arranged in a different order. the content of the textbook is usually the same.

by buying an old edition, you save money. its finally your call.
Old 12-31-2009 at 11:00 PM   #3
Ohmz

Liked: 3 Times

lol, thanks kanishk, I appreciate your reply man. BTW, happy new year!

Old 12-31-2009 at 11:10 PM   #4
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

a very happy and prosperous new year to you too....
Old 01-01-2010 at 06:46 AM   #5
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

No! Don't buy it!

This is one of the few textbooks available in PDF format (you need the 7th edition btw) which is not just a compilation of scanned images of the book. This PDF you can actually search and stuff, which makes the assignments take far less time than if you actually physically searched the book yourself.

Don't bother sending me a private message about it, because I cannot send you a megaupload link to the book .
Old 01-01-2010 at 12:14 PM   #6
Ender

Liked: 30 Times

DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON THE TEXTBOOK. Get it off DC++/torrent sites like user above said! Also there is barely any difference between the 6th/7th editions. I had a hard copy 6th edition last year cause I didn't know about the text being online so I compared it to the 7th which I got off a friend in PDF format and there was really no difference just different pictures.

Plus if you get it in PDF format it makes the assignments a whole lot easier. CTRL-F hahaha.

Last edited by Ender : 01-01-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-01-2010 at 04:52 PM   #7
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

if u can't find it on DC++, you can get it off torrents...thats what i did
Old 01-03-2010 at 03:26 AM   #8
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

It's kind of a shame though. The book is indeed easily found online, but it's one of the better textbooks we used in first year. For some reason, I also like the page and cover quality. It's also a nice size: small enough not to be an inconvenience, but big enough to have all the information you'll need. I obviously bought it and I don't regret doing so, but I'll understand if people don't want to.

I guess I'm just saying that this is one of the few textbooks worth my money (along with Stewart's Calculus). I wish the Physics and Chem books were online though, I didn't really use them much throughout both terms.
Old 01-03-2010 at 06:24 AM   #9
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
I guess I'm just saying that this is one of the few textbooks worth my money (along with Stewart's Calculus). I wish the Physics and Chem books were online though, I didn't really use them much throughout both terms.
I thought the materials textbook was alright, but not really amazing. The chem book was good too, but not really that useful (since almost everything we needed to know was on the slides). The physics textbook was absolute crap though. One of the worst and most convoluted textbooks I've ever encountered.

And ya, Calculus Early Transcendentals was a really good book. The Advanced Engineering Mathematics book we have this year is decent for some chapters, but awful for others.
Old 01-03-2010 at 01:35 PM   #10
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Liked: 128 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
They are. *wink wink*