MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Social Science for second year... pink_cupcake Academics 4 07-13-2009 10:39 PM
Question for first year social science student DJ_JJ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 05-23-2009 12:27 AM
Social Science 2nd Year Courses...HELP!! Ruggedman Academics 9 04-06-2009 03:22 PM
First Year - Social Science laffand Academics 48 08-09-2007 11:55 PM

First Year Social Science

Old 04-24-2010 at 08:39 AM   #1
Chambini

Liked: Liked 2 Times

First Year Social Science
What is up MCMASTER!!!!?

Hey, Im Dan, mature student (23) just starting my undergrad at mac (then law at osgoode), starting in a social science. My goal is to end with a double major in Economics & Political Science (although the latter is subject to change).

Any tips for first year social sciences? Any pitfalls to watch out for?

Thanks guys!

-Dan
Old 04-24-2010 at 09:05 AM   #2
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

With first year soc sci, you only have to take 4 required courses from a list of like 20-25 courses, and the rest are electives. So it really depends on what courses you take. Check the course reviews page here for an idea of what your classes involve, and pick some courses that will help you adjust to uni life. I'm also a mature student in first year Soc Sci, and because I was out of school for over a decade, I picked courses with no essays, just to ease my way in to things. You haven't been out as long as me, so you may not need (or want) to do that. Any idea of what classes you want to take?
Old 04-24-2010 at 09:46 AM   #3
Chambini

Yes!

I am registered this summer to take Labour Studies 1A03 and Peace Studies: Introduction to War (1B03 I think)

Then in the fall, I think I want Poli Sci 1g06, and Micro & Macro Econ for sure.

Then to top it off I might also take a Commerce course (if they are available to me), possibly a psyche or philosophy course.

I am forced to part time for the next while (til probably September 2011), but I go all year round until they accept me full time (I also work full time as an insurance broker).
Old 04-24-2010 at 10:01 AM   #4
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chambini View Post
Yes!

I am registered this summer to take Labour Studies 1A03 and Peace Studies: Introduction to War (1B03 I think)

Then in the fall, I think I want Poli Sci 1g06, and Micro & Macro Econ for sure.

Then to top it off I might also take a Commerce course (if they are available to me), possibly a psyche or philosophy course.

I am forced to part time for the next while (til probably September 2011), but I go all year round until they accept me full time (I also work full time as an insurance broker).
I cant help with any of those. Despite being in Soc Sci, I'm not taking any Soc Sci classes (yet). Most of those are pretty common though, so someone on here will be able to help you out.
Old 04-24-2010 at 01:11 PM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

If I'm not mistaken there are reviews on the site for all of the courses you listed, so you should be okay.

Out of the courses you mentioned, I have only taken one (Psych) but that was before they re-vamped the course, so I'm of no help to you either. But if you have questions about Anthro, Cultural Studies, English or Indigenous Studies...I'm your girl.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Chambini likes this.
Old 04-24-2010 at 04:31 PM   #6
Chambini

Hey questions, aside from the social science courses (of which I am taking a few), what other courses are required for social science year 1?

Math? Commerce? Am I even allowed to take commerce courses as electives?

I dont have a language requirement do I?
Old 04-24-2010 at 09:41 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chambini View Post
Hey questions, aside from the social science courses (of which I am taking a few), what other courses are required for social science year 1?

Math? Commerce? Am I even allowed to take commerce courses as electives?

I dont have a language requirement do I?
Nope, Soc Sci and Humanties only require a couple of units, so everything else you take can be electives. And you have a lot of options...math, languages, some commerce classes (some you need to be in commerce I for), sciences etc etc.

No, only Linguistics has a mandatory language requirement (Religious Studies, History and Classics might, or may "highly suggest" one). However, getting proficiency in other languages is a good thing, both for job opportunities and graduate work (you need proficiency in a language other than English in many MA programs).

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Chambini says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 04-25-2010 at 11:18 AM   #8
Chambini

Would a second language help with a law school application?

I realize this is a few years off (as I am just starting my undergraduate), however I chose to go back to academia to pursue law specifically.

What would be the most useful language? French?

....I loathe FRENCH!!! ARGH!

Its French, isn't it?
Old 04-25-2010 at 12:38 PM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I'm not really sure...I'm doing (done?) the MA route, so it's a little different.

However, we live in Canada...so it's likely something good to have. It may however depend on what area or area(s) of law you're considering.

Here is an article on law school that may help: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2025 8