MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DC++: Getting Started sjager Computers & Tech 70 11-04-2010 04:06 PM
readings/summarizing kirsten..! First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-17-2010 12:38 PM
Jon Montgomery is the FREAKING MAN lawleypop General Discussion 8 02-22-2010 04:56 PM
I don't freaking believe this. smiles Residence & Housing 15 01-19-2010 08:46 PM

First year, started my readings and freaking out!?

Old 09-13-2009 at 08:09 PM   #16
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby66 View Post
I've learned not to care anymore, and it work out fine so far.
Likewise.

Very few people actually go to the lengths suggested by professors in a course. Don't be proactive, be reactive. Seriously. It's a bad habit that will save your life and sanity.

I used to be as keen as you at the beginning of my first year. This is it.. big bad University, gotta study 943435 hours a day and do everything or else I'll die!!

Don't worry about it too much, do what you need to do, not what they expect you to (because frankly, its literally impossible with a full course load), and I don't think any normal person has an attention span long enough to do it all, even if they had the time.

Pre-readings? Heh..haaah..hah..heh. Read it 2 days before the midterm and distil out the parts that matter.

10 hours per week per course outside of class? You'll find its more likely 10 hours per term.

You'll learn the way of the student... soon. Good luck

lizziemcg says thanks to ViktorVaughn for this post.
Old 09-13-2009 at 08:13 PM   #17
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziemcg View Post
I'm in commerce but I was reading for labour studies 1C03, computer science, geography 1HA3 and microeconomics.
If you have Mercier for geo and Holmes for econ than the textbooks are a waste of money. Never opened either. Just go to class and take lecture notes for geo. For econ I never even went to class Holmes's lecture notes were very detailed and easy to follow and she also posted podcasts of the lectures.

Last edited by syaseen : 09-13-2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-13-2009 at 10:34 PM   #18
ghostanime20

Liked: 0 Times

I have ECON 1B03 C02 <--- "Core 2" not "Carbon dioxide"

my teacher is HOLMES, H

is there alot of oral presentations? If there are.... I really despise presentations. I know its a major requirement in a vast majority of courses but that dislikeness has been with me since childhood. I still am not used to it. HELP !!!!!! It's not that I'm nervous I just don't know how to talk to 300+ audience.
Old 09-13-2009 at 10:35 PM   #19
syaseen
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostanime20 View Post
I have ECON 1B03 C02 <--- "Core 2" not "Carbon dioxide"

my teacher is HOLMES, H

is there alot of oral presentations? If there are.... I really despise presentations. I know its a major requirement in a vast majority of courses but that dislikeness has been with me since childhood. I still am not used to it. HELP !!!!!! It's not that I'm nervous I just don't know how to talk to 300+ audience.
There are no presentations in econ all there are tests and assignment.

Last edited by syaseen : 09-13-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-13-2009 at 11:14 PM   #20
ghostanime20

how about Envir Sc 1G03
Old 09-13-2009 at 11:22 PM   #21
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I remember that feeling. I remember I spent 3 hours straight reading the most boring book of my life on the engineering design process at the beginning of the term. Generally I've found that when a professor says "read these chapters" he or she means "skim these chapters".

For engineering 1P03 I studied about 2 hours total before the final exam, only reading bolded things, figures and tables. I got an 11 in that course and found the final exam very easy.
Old 09-13-2009 at 11:25 PM   #22
syaseen
Elite Member

Quote:
how about Envir Sc 1G03
Check your course outline.
Old 09-13-2009 at 11:28 PM   #23
ghostanime20

I am taking these courses:
Biology 1A03 - Kajiura, Boreham
Chem 1A03 - Britz McKibbin
Math 1A04 - E. Martinez

For those who have had these teachers in the past what are your opinions on them?
Old 09-13-2009 at 11:31 PM   #24
Juicebox

Liked: 179 Times

Quote:
how about Envir Sc 1G03
Good question, apparently I have a lab tomorrow with 3 chapters worth of readings.
I don't even have a textbook right now hah, no idea whats going to happen to me.
Old 09-13-2009 at 11:38 PM   #25
sweetrachel

Liked: 6 Times

I'm a little worried about this whole "Assumed Knowledge" thing for chem 1A03. Haven't the profs learned never to assume? hah! Oh well, many before me have done it, so I guess I just have to relax.
Old 09-13-2009 at 11:43 PM   #26
syaseen
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetrachel View Post
I'm a little worried about this whole "Assumed Knowledge" thing for chem 1A03. Haven't the profs learned never to assume? hah! Oh well, many before me have done it, so I guess I just have to relax.
Its not that bad. I found Chem was actually not that far in difficulty from gr.12. For the quizzes try googling the questions and looking for past quizzes online/DC++. Do the practise tests for the midterms and you should be fine.
Old 09-13-2009 at 11:51 PM   #27
ghostanime20

I spend my whole summer doing chem problems. I just had a broad understanding in topics like acid-base, redox and enthalpy probs during grade 12 but never knew it thorougly. So I spend my summer doing that other half. I feel good in chem class but not in math ....... ugly, twisted, wrecked, sweaty, hardwork, bloodshot eyes, hotness in my arms from writing and erasing, frusteration feelings. That's what I remember of grade 12 math. And here I am revisiting those past feelings. I know I had a bad attitude towards math from the start but it never changes...especially in math.
Old 09-13-2009 at 11:52 PM   #28
sweetrachel

Oh ok, thanks! As for the DC++, I have a Mac and I can't find a step-by-step process on how to set up Shakespeer. Any ideas?
Old 09-13-2009 at 11:54 PM   #29
syaseen
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetrachel View Post
Oh ok, thanks! As for the DC++, I have a Mac and I can't find a step-by-step process on how to set up Shakespeer. Any ideas?
Open the program go to preferences then the identities tab and add a nickname (can be anything). Then go to the sharing tab and add folders you want to share (I think you have to share atleast 500mb). Close the preferences window when done. Then click the connect to hub button on the main window type in the hub address machub.dyndns.org and connect.
Old 09-14-2009 at 12:04 AM   #30
sweetrachel

Omg, it worked. Wasn't that simple? lol Thank you so much!