MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prospective Business Student With Some Questions T-Core First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 05-08-2010 03:19 PM
prospective student GraceChoi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 03-21-2010 09:20 AM
Ualberta student wanting to transfer to McMaster Engineering Oilers Academics 1 11-09-2008 02:22 PM
I question if im an engineering student..I have a nice timetable? kenvin100 Academics 4 08-10-2008 07:57 PM
Prospective Student Tours Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-15-2008 01:02 PM

Firt year engineering- prospective student

Old 12-30-2009 at 07:36 PM   #1
stargazer710

Liked: 0 Times

Firt year engineering- prospective student
Hi i was wondering was exactly the engineering 1 program offered at Mac is all about.
I would like to apply for the program, but im not sure if i would enjoy it. So is it a general engineering first year and then when do you get to specialize? Is it similar to track 1 engineering at U of T?
Old 12-30-2009 at 07:59 PM   #2
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

It is SIMILAR to Track 1 at U of T, but not exactly the same in the sense that U of T (I believe, as I also applied there, with no intention of going anywhere but Mac, last year) allows first year students to pick their stream right from Day 1 if they would like, or go Track 1 if they would prefer... Not every first year is doing the same thing at U of T, and consequently, not everyone goes into their program knowing the bare bones of everything engineering.

At Mac (I'm in first year right now), we are all doing the exact same classes, with the exception of 1 or 2 electives, and at the end of year 1, we will all be just a bit further ahead of where we were at the end of high school, but it will be a SOLID, FIRM ground for learning the rest of engineering from there, in any one of your respected courses.

For example: You may end up in civil at Mac, and your first year chemistry meant nothing to you, but you gained two things from it: The strength to live through it and study something you aren't super fond of, and the opportunity to meet more people simply because every one of the other 900-1000 first years are all doing the same thing... Not only 50, 60, 70% (I don't know how many do Track 1) .

If you want, give the engineering office a call at Mac too... They book tours around the engineering side of campus (Even as a first year, I give them every once in a while Volunteer basis kind of thing) and can answer more questions too... But feel free to ask on here too... I did

kanishka likes this.
Old 12-30-2009 at 09:18 PM   #3
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Welcome to MacInsiders!! McMaster Engineering is a great program. You can read more about it and the first-year program here:
http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/future/index.html

Also check out this guide:

Explore Eng @ Mac
Old 12-31-2009 at 12:44 AM   #4
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Go to waterloo eng if you can afford!!!

Otherwise, mac isn't a bad choice.

You'll need to study your butt off in both programs!
Old 12-31-2009 at 01:54 AM   #5
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

waterloo is only known for its computer department and co-op program. so if thats what your priority is then go for it. otherwise MAC ENG ROCKS!
Old 12-31-2009 at 01:55 AM   #6
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

I must also tell you that having a first year general helps a LOT! i came into mac decided for a totally different program than what I am going to take up now from the second year. so it helps!
Old 12-31-2009 at 01:59 AM   #7
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

Get ready for absolutely hating math, no matter if you loved it since birth!
Old 12-31-2009 at 02:29 AM   #8
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

If you want to reduce your workload, there's a not-very-well known Headstart option that lets you get two of the more annoying courses done in the summer:

http://leap.mcmaster.ca/headstart2010.html

It does have a negative effect on your eligibility for second-year programs, but I won't go into that yet. It's tedious to explain, but I can if you're interested.
Old 12-31-2009 at 08:06 AM   #9
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Yea, about waterlooo.......... Thing is, when you have to choose your engineering discipline right from day 1, it's tough. You might grow into the discipline you choose, but you'll never know if some other line of engineering was even more perfect for you.

for example: you might choose chem because you liked chem in highschool, but that is a poor reason to choose chemical engineering... From my understanding of it, chemical engineering has very little do with the chemistry you learn in highschool. (It has more to do with processes and whatnot.) So then you are stuck in chem, but sure, the stuff might grow on you and you adapt to it. But there are tonnes of people who develop a love for another strain in first year... Materials is a great example. Who would think to do materials engineering in first year? Anyone that loved chemistry in highschool SHOULD think of it... But they don't unless they have a general first year. Any physics related strain produces a similar issue between civil, mechanical, or possibly eng phys (if modern physics happens to be your thing)
Old 12-31-2009 at 03:36 PM   #10
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
Yea, about waterlooo.......... Thing is, when you have to choose your engineering discipline right from day 1, it's tough. You might grow into the discipline you choose, but you'll never know if some other line of engineering was even more perfect for you.

for example: you might choose chem because you liked chem in highschool, but that is a poor reason to choose chemical engineering... From my understanding of it, chemical engineering has very little do with the chemistry you learn in highschool. (It has more to do with processes and whatnot.) So then you are stuck in chem, but sure, the stuff might grow on you and you adapt to it. But there are tonnes of people who develop a love for another strain in first year... Materials is a great example. Who would think to do materials engineering in first year? Anyone that loved chemistry in highschool SHOULD think of it... But they don't unless they have a general first year. Any physics related strain produces a similar issue between civil, mechanical, or possibly eng phys (if modern physics happens to be your thing)
totally agree...don't let your high school marks decide what you are good at, rather go with what you like, even if it isn't your highest mark. for the next four years, ur gonna be specializing in something, and if you don't like it, then your life is gonna feel like pure hell.

when i was choosing schools, i was in a delimma between U of T and Mac, I chose Mac b/c of all the different options they offer. for example, you can get a management degree + an engineering degree here in 5 years. In waterloo, it takes five years just to do your bachelors in engineering.
Old 12-31-2009 at 09:38 PM   #11
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...hlight=jackets chech this