MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Titles debit cjdzl Academics 5 09-07-2010 08:14 PM
3 units=credit? or 6 units = credit Jelmo First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 06-09-2010 05:31 PM
Transfer Credit precious Academics 7 12-30-2009 11:35 AM
We can use debit at Titles right? kenvin100 Academics 6 09-06-2008 07:10 PM
Transfer Credit ! zaidyusufani First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-28-2008 02:12 PM

Food and Debit/Credit

Old 07-31-2009 at 11:43 PM   #31
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
do you get an alert of some kind your funds on the student card are low? (I'm kind of bad at budgeting without money in my hand)

and ferreinm, I'm always find myself in your position, it sucketh greatly
You can check your balance online, but I don't think there's any alert system. Your balance also shows up after you purchase something but the cashiers usually clear it before you have a chance to see it.

sinthusized says thanks to DavidR for this post.
Old 08-01-2009 at 12:42 AM   #32
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
You can check your balance online, but I don't think there's any alert system. Your balance also shows up after you purchase something but the cashiers usually clear it before you have a chance to see it.
You'll also get a letter in the mail when you come back from winter break that tells you how much you have left.

sinthusized says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-01-2009 at 12:52 AM   #33
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

Crap, I totally forgot my Meal Card PIN. Anybody know if there's a "Forgot my PIN" feature?
Old 08-01-2009 at 04:18 AM   #34
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I thought they were adding chip and pin technology to credit cards. In which case it would take the same time as debit.
From watching my dad use his VISA with a chip, it actually takes longer thna my debit card and old school credit cards do.
Old 08-01-2009 at 04:20 AM   #35
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbauman View Post
sometimes I wish Tim Horton's took debit, so I wouldn't get awesome people who sit at my window for OVER A MINUTE counting out nickles and dimes. One day, I will write a book about DT etiquette, but that's another thread altogether.
Some Timmies have it. I know the one at the 401/Brock in Whitby does, and at least one of the 1000 or so in Peterborough does too. Just a matter of time 'til they all do.
Old 08-01-2009 at 06:54 AM   #36
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoozik View Post
Crap, I totally forgot my Meal Card PIN. Anybody know if there's a "Forgot my PIN" feature?
Isn't it your birthday?
Old 08-01-2009 at 08:20 AM   #37
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
I don't think the excuse "debit is too slow" is valid anymore. Debit used to be slow, and places with slow internet connection or old machines are still slow, but at the McDonald's I work for, our debit literally takes >30 seconds to work, and in many cases (people with cash) is faster.

I think the main reason (and this is just speculation) they don't allow debit is because of the cost associated with it, as well as the fact that the student card is so convenient and easy to use.
You're right, the network is just as fast as everything else, the bottleneck would be the user inputting all the required information. No it's not THAT long, but if there's 30 people on each side of the cash register.....
Old 08-01-2009 at 10:05 AM   #38
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
You're right, the network is just as fast as everything else, the bottleneck would be the user inputting all the required information. No it's not THAT long, but if there's 30 people on each side of the cash register.....
I argue that it's no longer than people getting their money/change out at the last minute, as they often do.
Old 08-01-2009 at 11:51 AM   #39
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
I argue that it's no longer than people getting their money/change out at the last minute, as they often do.
I agree, in my opinion it's faster than the people digging in their wallets/purses for exact change.
Old 08-01-2009 at 12:33 PM   #40
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

Oh I have another question, if I put money on my student card, do I have to spnd it all by the end of the year? Otherwise I lose it, right?
Old 08-01-2009 at 12:36 PM   #41
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachill View Post
Oh I have another question, if I put money on my student card, do I have to spnd it all by the end of the year? Otherwise I lose it, right?
Nope, the money goes into your flex/freedom account which means it'll roll over. You can also withdraw the money if you want, you just have to fill out a form.

jachill, sinthusized all say thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-01-2009 at 01:29 PM   #42
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

Ok, great, thanks.
Old 08-01-2009 at 03:56 PM   #43
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

While not officially confirmed but a little birdy told me some secrets/conspiracy theories about the system and why it is so.

a) It's to move lines faster. Debit and credit are slow when compared to cash, or mealcard.

b) It's a ploy to get more people using mealcards. While there is no big financial gain, if we are putting money on our cards, we are way more likely to go to a Hospitality services establishment to spend that money. It's a shrewd tactic.
Old 08-01-2009 at 04:43 PM   #44
Duarch

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachill View Post
This is only for certain plans. The Freedom plan where you can put as much money as you want on your card and use it when you please which doesn't expire and the leftover money can actually be withdrawn afterwards. The Term plan is $55/week or so which MUST be used or it will disappear.

The first plan gives you 5% off your purchases and the second one gives you 13% off.

jachill says thanks to Duarch for this post.