MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
French 1A06 laurastevens 1st Year Course Reviews 73 06-09-2015 02:33 AM
French 1A06 course outline akikokoyoki Academics 4 09-17-2010 11:03 PM
Marks in French 1A06? Soph08 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 07-05-2010 10:34 PM
Anyone looking to drop French 1A06 nlobo Academics 2 06-14-2010 01:17 PM
French 1a06 shleyaa Academics 12 07-04-2008 06:42 PM

Forced into French 1A06

Old 07-05-2008 at 05:55 AM   #1
Alvand

Liked: 39 Times

Forced into French 1A06
I'm interested in taking a language course next year as part of my electives, but since I graduated high school through French Immersion, the only french course I can take is French 1A06 Intro to French Studies: Advanced Level. I want to keep working on my french,but I believe that my french speaking, writing, and grammar abilities are not strong enough to do well in this course, and I am not allowed to take a language assessment test to see if i will be a better fit in less-difficult course.

I was put into Edwards Hall, which has the Lifestyle Theme of La Maison Francaise and International House, so I presume I will be speaking french there anyways.

I am also considering starting Spanish from scratch. I doubt I will lose my french-speaking abilities if I do not take a french course, and this way I can also learn a new language.

I have another option, which is not taking any language course and opening my timetable to two more electives.

Any advice from any students would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
Old 07-06-2008 at 10:41 AM   #2
Alvand

I decided to switch French 1A06 to Beginner's Spanish but I found out it is full. Then I thought about Italian or Japanese, but those are full as well, so I'm thinking about German.

Any comments are still appreciated!

Last edited by Alvand : 07-06-2008 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-09-2008 at 03:20 PM   #3
jag6232

Liked: 0 Times

I had the same issue... whether to do a language or open up two more electives... and I decided that if I decide I really want to pursue language studies I can always do that in year two. Right now I just want to experience all the different classes out there and see what I like... once I've picked a major I can throw in a language class to spice up my timetable.
Old 07-09-2008 at 05:35 PM   #4
ms. mandazi

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvand View Post
I'm interested in taking a language course next year as part of my electives, but since I graduated high school through French Immersion, the only french course I can take is French 1A06 Intro to French Studies: Advanced Level. I want to keep working on my french,but I believe that my french speaking, writing, and grammar abilities are not strong enough to do well in this course, and I am not allowed to take a language assessment test to see if i will be a better fit in less-difficult course.

I was put into Edwards Hall, which has the Lifestyle Theme of La Maison Francaise and International House, so I presume I will be speaking french there anyways.

I am also considering starting Spanish from scratch. I doubt I will lose my french-speaking abilities if I do not take a french course, and this way I can also learn a new language.

I have another option, which is not taking any language course and opening my timetable to two more electives.

Any advice from any students would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
Hey Alvand,
I was terrified when I was forced into FE 1A06 but the prof Muriel Walker was fantastic. our class was multi-level, we had people who really struggled with basic grammar and pronounciation and quebecois people who made me feel inadequate lol.
She did an assesment test to figure out our individual levels and basically all we had to do was put in some effort, show some improvement to do well in the class. I don't know about the other profs. The grammar is basically a revision of stuff u probly learned in highschool.
For me it's the literature that I sort of struggled with. Start reading the book asap, if you can get an English translation of the lit book, you will ace it! If u got to tutorial , do your assignments and read the literature book, are active in class and show that you are trying, you will I think do FANSTASTIQUE.

[email protected] likes this.
Old 07-10-2008 at 10:31 AM   #5
Alvand

I chose to keep French in my timetable over switching it for Problems of Philosophy and the 2nd Psych couse. I really wanted to take the 2nd Psych course and now I do not know when I can take it as my timetable is in a way that all my 2nd semester courses are mandatory and cannot be switched with a 1st year elective if I chose I wanted it over the other elective. I suppose if I really want to get into further psychology, I can take the course in the summer or in 2nd year.

Jag6232, I know what you mean but since I am in Business it is useful to take a language and I wanted to do it soon so I don't forget what I know!

ms. mandazi, what you said really made me look forward to the course so thanks lol!
Old 07-22-2008 at 12:34 PM   #6
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

I had the exact same problem this year!
I'm in third year.

Going into first year, the prerequisites for first year French were different. I had taken Grade 12 U French and got 77%. Anyone who got 80% or more was placed in Advanced French. Anyone who got 50-79% was placed in Intermediate French. Anyone who failed or didn't take Grade 12 U French was placed in Beginners.

I took Intermediate, thinking I could handle it. It was WAY too hard - I ended up dropping it after the first week. The following year, a friend of mine was in Intermediate French and she told me the course was completely changed and it was much easier now.

I wanted to take Intermediate French THIS year, but the prerequisites had changed again and I was forced into Advanced (which I knew I couldn't handle: I haven't spoken French in three years). I emailed several French Academic Advisors and asked for a "waiver", to be allowed into Intermediate French. They all said no since I had taken Grade 12 U French.

For some reason, SOLAR let me into Intermediate French anyway. I'm assuming, after first year, highschool prerequisites don't necessarily still apply.

My only advice is email an academic advisor. I talked with Michael Kliffer ([email protected]), though he is the one who turned down my waiver.
I also talked to the professor of Intermediate French and Advanced French, Paula Banks ([email protected] om) - this email is provided on a McMaster.ca page, so it should be okay to email her. I asked her to explain the outline of the courses, to see which is better suited for me. She was very helpful. This is what she told me:

"If you are interested in how 1K06 works, it is taught mostly in
French, though at the beginning there is some English. The textbook
explanations are pretty much all in English though. It starts
literally at the very basics, ie how to say hello and conjugate the
present tense etc. but it is also pretty intensive and manages to
cover a wide spectrum of grammar and vocabulary by the end of the
2nd term.

IA06 is taught pretty much exclusively in French. It's the course that 1K06 students would take upon completing 1K06, so it reiterates and expands upon the grammar and vocabulary taught in 1K06.
The text is entirely in French.
There is also a literature component in 1A06: one day a week is devoted to discussion of a novel or a play, so your reading skills would have to be there as well."

I hope this helps! My suggestion is to email Michael Kliffer, explain your situation and ask for a waiver. Or try your best at Advanced French. If it doesn't work out, you should be able to get into Intermediate French in second year.
Old 07-22-2008 at 02:17 PM   #7
Alvand

Thank you for your thorough reply Heather! I did exchange emails with Michael Kliffer about one week ago, and he also turned down my requests for a language assessment test to better place me in the course relative to my abilities. I'm just going to review my French over the summer and put in a lot of effort when classes start. Hopefully I wont have to drop it, but if it comes down to it, I might take it 2nd year.
Old 07-26-2008 at 05:59 AM   #8
Biee

Liked: 1 Time

Same Problem
I really want to take Japanese 1Z06 for one of my electives but it's full right now. I was just wondering if there will be room later ? Thanks.
Old 07-26-2008 at 12:38 PM   #9
magicalland

Liked: Liked 2 Times

well, i am so seeking to french 1A06 but all classes seem to be full. i have mailed Michael kilffer. He was very helpful and i am still waiting to see if any space becomes avaliable.
Old 07-26-2008 at 01:54 PM   #10
Alvand

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicalland View Post
well, i am so seeking to french 1A06 but all classes seem to be full. i have mailed Michael kilffer. He was very helpful and i am still waiting to see if any space becomes avaliable.

I am planning on keeping this course, but if I do not I will contact you. However, I am pretty sure that it is impossible to give your spot to someone else.
Old 07-26-2008 at 05:54 PM   #11
eycc11

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biee View Post
I really want to take Japanese 1Z06 for one of my electives but it's full right now. I was just wondering if there will be room later ? Thanks.
Hey Biee, here's something that might help you.

Good luck!

Biee says thanks to eycc11 for this post.
Old 07-27-2008 at 12:00 PM   #12
magicalland

Liked: Liked 2 Times

thanks. you are right..unless someone knows the exact timing someone is leaving and someone else gets the course at exact time.