MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
French 1K06/1A06 Olivia. Academics 8 09-20-2010 07:02 PM
French 1A06 course outline akikokoyoki Academics 4 09-17-2010 11:03 PM
Marks in French 1A06? Soph08 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 07-05-2010 10:34 PM
Forced into French 1A06 Alvand Academics 11 07-27-2008 12:00 PM
French 1a06 shleyaa Academics 12 07-04-2008 06:42 PM

French 1A06

French 1A06
Intro to French Studies
Published by laurastevens
04-09-2009
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
80%80%80%
Professor Rating
80%80%80%
Interest
70%70%70%
Easiness
80%80%80%
Average 78%
French 1A06

It really depends on your previous level of french education because anyone with grade 12 french gets put in this class. So you have a mix of people with core french, french immersion and all french schools in one class, which makes it a little interesting.

I really liked the class size. You have only about 25 people in your core section, and maybe 12 in your tutorial. So you really get to know the prof, and participate in class.

Classes are conducted entirely in french. Rarely does the prof slip in an english word or explanation. You do A LOT of grammar, read a novel each term and go over vocab in tutorials. You have one test, one essay and one oral presentation each term as well as any little assignments your teacher assigns. Nothing you write is ever over 500 words. There is homework every week, as well as reading the novel. There is a midterm exam during first term exams, as well as a final.

The grammar covered is: present, imperatif; passe compose, imparfait and plus-que-parfait and when to use each, verbes pronominaux; pronoms personnelles, disjoints, COD's and COI's, genre et nombre des noms, les articles; le futur simple et le futur anterieur and when to use them; conditionnel and conditionnel du passe as well as phrases conditionnels, adjectifs et adverbes and subjonctif and subjonctif du passe. As well, there are also a bunch of little things like expressions that you cover.

Don't worry if this sounds like a lot, it's spread out over the whole year so it's really manageable. There are three lectures a week + tutorials.

The marking is pretty fair, I know that my prof at least is much more picky in terms of spelling and grammar than my highschool teacher so I've lost a couple of marks there, but that's to be expected when you study french at a higher level.

Overall it's a pretty good course. I didn't find it that interesting because none of the major grammar was new to me. As long as you're willing to put in the effort you should be fine. Profs are very accomodating and more than willing to help you out if you have any difficulties.

Allana:), ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to laurastevens for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for French 1A06!

Old 04-09-2009 at 09:39 AM   #2
KRan

Liked: 10 Times
I LOVED this course, because the 20-30 people was a nice change to all my larger classes. I had Dr. Hanley as my prof and he is very funny and genuinely wants to get to know you. I'm considering taking one of his upper year classes because I liked him so much.

I came in with Grade 12 French Immersion, and found the course really easy. None of the concepts were new, but I understood them better than I did in high school, and definitely improved my written and spoken French.

My class did two days of grammar and one day of literature for both semesters. I didn't find the tutorials very interesting and my mark in our weekly quizzes didn't really change depending on whether or not I had spent the 2 hours learning the vocab.

If you can get Dr. Hanley, I would highly recommend this course!

Last edited by KRan : 04-09-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-06-2009 at 04:16 PM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRan View Post
I LOVED this course, because the 20-30 people was a nice change to all my larger classes. I had Dr. Hanley as my prof and he is very funny and genuinely wants to get to know you. I'm considering taking one of his upper year classes because I liked him so much.

I came in with Grade 12 French Immersion, and found the course really easy. None of the concepts were new, but I understood them better than I did in high school, and definitely improved my written and spoken French.

My class did two days of grammar and one day of literature for both semesters. I didn't find the tutorials very interesting and my mark in our weekly quizzes didn't really change depending on whether or not I had spent the 2 hours learning the vocab.

If you can get Dr. Hanley, I would highly recommend this course!

What about the other profs.. Banks.. Rosner.. etc
Thanks for the Review btw! Looking forwad to continuing with French!
Old 06-16-2009 at 02:09 PM   #4
laurastevens

Liked: 2 Times
I had Rosner for the second half of my course, and she was very nice. Marked a little harder than Kabonda, but was more competent and more organized. She made hand-outs to summarize and worksheets for the grammar.

Kabonda was kind of crazy. His notes on the board were very disorganized, but he marked easy. As long as you are comfortable doing a little bit of learning by yourself you'll be fine.

Old 06-17-2009 at 09:23 PM   #5
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times
I had Dr Posthumus and she was really good. She knew everything she was talking about and was willing to accommodate for those who don't understand the grammar rules or whatever right away. She was also very organized.

Old 07-03-2009 at 01:02 AM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Guys! For some strange reason, this course is full on SOLAR?! even though I was set to take it.. What should I do?! I don't want to wait till August and risk the possibility of it NOT opening.. BUt if I contact the faculty to open up a spot for me.. would it actually work?! =S Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2009 at 01:04 AM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara_h216 View Post
Guys! For some strange reason, this course is full on SOLAR?! even though I was set to take it.. What should I do?! I don't want to wait till August and risk the possibility of it NOT opening.. BUt if I contact the faculty to open up a spot for me.. would it actually work?! =S Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Seats aren't guaranteed. You can try to ask them for a seat, you should have a good reason though.

In the meantime look for electives that you wish to take to take the spot of French 1A03. That way if you don't get French you got your backups already registered. If you keep on checking and manage to get a seat in French 1A03, you can sign up for it and then drop the other courses.
Old 07-03-2009 at 11:04 AM   #8
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Thanks Jeremy. I was actually surprised that it was full.. since there's 5 or 6 sections I believe. I guess I'll just wait till August to see if anyone dropped it. But if not, can I e-mail them then.. or would it be too late?
Old 07-03-2009 at 11:06 AM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Thanks Jeremy. I was actually surprised that it was full.. since there's 5 or 6 sections I believe. I guess I'll just wait till August to see if anyone dropped it. But if not, can I e-mail them then.. or would it be too late?
E-mail then now and see what they say.

People can even drop the course in their 7 day period, so I would check from time to time while SOLAR is still open.
Old 07-03-2009 at 01:53 PM   #10
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times
That class is actually full? Damn... things just aren't right in the world. Last year, but it was 1K06, there was probably like 50 people in my class.
Old 07-03-2009 at 02:09 PM   #11
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

That's still a decent number for it to be full :S .. especially for 1A06 since it has 5 or 6 sections or so.. and judging by numbers from previous years, each class had about 30 people.. so they should be accepting at least 150 or so people.. Can't believe it's actually full ='(. It was the only course I wasn't worried about in terms of getting in.
Who should I e-mail if I want to ask for a seat? and Is wanting the course for a minor a good enough reason?
Old 07-03-2009 at 02:21 PM   #12
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times
Quote:
That's still a decent number for it to be full :S .. especially for 1A06 since it has 5 or 6 sections or so.. and judging by numbers from previous years, each class had about 30 people.. so they should be accepting at least 150 or so people.. Can't believe it's actually full ='(. It was the only course I wasn't worried about in terms of getting in.
Who should I e-mail if I want to ask for a seat? and Is wanting the course for a minor a good enough reason?
Hmm, e-mail the french department which I think is within Linguistics and Languages but I'm not sure... hmm, yes I think mentioning that you want it for a minor will win them over. It's worth a shot.
Old 07-03-2009 at 02:39 PM   #13
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Thanks a lot! and I'll double check about the contact info for the french department.
Old 07-03-2009 at 05:41 PM   #14
KRan

Liked: 10 Times
When I picked my courses last year, this course was full, but I got a spot sometime in July after SOLAR reopened. So keep trying!

~*Sara*~ says thanks to KRan for this post.
Old 07-03-2009 at 06:12 PM   #15
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

KRan Thanks for yoru post! You actually gave me hope! I'll keep checking this week, and in August when SOLAR opens again. Thanks a lot!

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search