MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
French 1K06/1A06 Olivia. Academics 8 09-20-2010 07:02 PM
French 1A06 course outline akikokoyoki Academics 4 09-17-2010 11:03 PM
Marks in French 1A06? Soph08 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 07-05-2010 10:34 PM
Forced into French 1A06 Alvand Academics 11 07-27-2008 12:00 PM
French 1a06 shleyaa Academics 12 07-04-2008 06:42 PM

French 1A06

Old 04-09-2009 at 09:23 AM   #16
laurastevens

Liked: 2 Times

French 1A06
It really depends on your previous level of french education because anyone with grade 12 french gets put in this class. So you have a mix of people with core french, french immersion and all french schools in one class, which makes it a little interesting.

I really liked the class...

all say thanks to laurastevens for this post.
Old 07-28-2009 at 11:01 AM   #15
denisa002

Liked: 3 Times
Hi! I'm just wondering if the tutorials are compulsory, and also if you have to be enrolled in a fixed tutorial for the whole year (my timetable's not allowing me to do that). Any help will be appreciated!
Old 07-28-2009 at 02:40 PM   #16
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denisa002 View Post
Hi! I'm just wondering if the tutorials are compulsory, and also if you have to be enrolled in a fixed tutorial for the whole year (my timetable's not allowing me to do that). Any help will be appreciated!
Tutorials are not mandatory, but sometimes they count for marks. For basically all of my classes last year, including French 1K06, going to tutorial and participating was as much as 10-15% of my grade.

So it's up to you if you want to go and get those marks. Personally, I'd go because it's the difference between a B and an A, and so on.

As for French 1A06 and fixed tutorials, if for some reason like your tutorials conflict with another class in second term, then you can ask to switch. I think you can switch tutorials, but you just have to have a valid reason like conflicts and whatnot.

Hope that helps. :]
Old 07-28-2009 at 05:45 PM   #17
denisa002

Liked: 3 Times
Great, thanks feonateresa! Just to clarify though, when you said that tutorials are not mandatory, was that regarding French 1A06? I've already emailed the prof so I hope to hear from him soon Thanks again for your input!
Old 07-28-2009 at 05:57 PM   #18
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisa002 View Post
Great, thanks feonateresa! Just to clarify though, when you said that tutorials are not mandatory, was that regarding French 1A06? I've already emailed the prof so I hope to hear from him soon Thanks again for your input!
Tutorials are never mandatory, professors and TAs are not chasing after you to go. It will just affect your marks in the course. It will REALLY affect you in French 1A06 if you don't go to tutorials because they cover a lot, and really enhances your understanding.
Old 07-28-2009 at 10:01 PM   #19
KRan

Liked: 10 Times
I went to maybe 4 tutorials all year. We pretty much went over the vocab for each chapter, plus some exercises and such. There were one or two quizzes that recapped the vocab during tutorial, and that counted for part of your tutorial mark. The vocab is also tested on the quizzes/midterm/exam, but I didn't find my mark changed whether I went to my tutorial or not.
Old 07-29-2009 at 12:11 AM   #20
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
I was also wondering, since 1A06 is for those in extended/immersion/core French. Would having JUST core french be a disadvantage compared to everyone else :( ?
Old 07-29-2009 at 12:35 AM   #21
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRan View Post
I went to maybe 4 tutorials all year. We pretty much went over the vocab for each chapter, plus some exercises and such. There were one or two quizzes that recapped the vocab during tutorial, and that counted for part of your tutorial mark. The vocab is also tested on the quizzes/midterm/exam, but I didn't find my mark changed whether I went to my tutorial or not.
Well considering that quizzes are written in tutorial, those counted for 20% of my mark last year, aside from just attending tutorials. As well as the oral presentations in tutorial. Participating/attending tutorials alone scored me 10%. Then again that was 1K06 and not 1A06, but I assume that tutorial was at least 10% of your mark in 1A06. It's hard to get a 12 if you never go to tutorial.

Sara, hmm, the more experience you have, the better you will do. It will probably be more difficult for you, compared to someone who has been in Immersion their entire life. There is often a range of fluency in the class, so don't fret. If you're struggling, you let the professor or TA know. You have to say on top of Language classes or you'll get left behind after a time.

Taking the example from the 1K06 class which is not as intensive as 1A06, I breezed through it since I was in Immersion for a long time but stopped before grade 12. Other people in the class, who only took grade 9 French, or were in Core, struggled more than I did. I'm not trying to brag or anything, but the class was easy because I had seen all the topics before and so it was more like review.

Last edited by feonateresa : 07-29-2009 at 12:37 AM.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to feonateresa for this post.
Old 07-31-2009 at 08:47 PM   #22
KRan

This past year, "Travaux oraux et participation" was worth 10% of our mark, but included class participation as well as tutorial participation.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to KRan for this post.
Old 08-13-2009 at 09:26 AM   #23
MarissaK

Liked: 0 Times
I wanted to get into Hanley's French class, because I've read good things about him on threads here, but I was put in Banks' class. Does anyone know anything about Banks?
Old 08-16-2009 at 09:47 PM   #24
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

I'm in the same situation. But to be honest, I heard good reviews about her as well and on ratemyprofessors.com. And class is what you make it out to be, really.
Old 08-17-2009 at 05:55 AM   #25
KRan

From what I've heard, she's pretty good. I actually wanted to take one of her upper year classes but it's full. :(

And a direct quote from my sister (who's going into first year and taking this course), "Why did you have to tell everyone about Hanley? Now I can't get him!" She's in Banks' class right now too.
Old 08-17-2009 at 01:31 PM   #26
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Haha, so true. I've heard so much about Hanley, but it conflicts with my chem core with Lock :(. I've heard good reviews about Banks too!
Old 08-17-2009 at 01:45 PM   #27
feonateresa
Elite Member

Yay! I got into Hanley's class. -dances-
I had Banks last year, and she was good, she's nice and helpful and you can tell that she cares.
Old 08-23-2009 at 02:13 AM   #28
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

I've heard good reviews about her as well, but where there any negative comments I should watch for perhaps ?

PS- Yay to continuing with French! A nice change from seeing so many people that don't like it XD haha
Old 08-30-2009 at 02:09 AM   #29
HG88

Liked: 0 Times
What books have you read in the past, and what books should we expect to read?

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search