MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
French 1K06/1A06 Olivia. Academics 8 09-20-2010 07:02 PM
French 1A06 course outline akikokoyoki Academics 4 09-17-2010 11:03 PM
Marks in French 1A06? Soph08 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 07-05-2010 10:34 PM
Forced into French 1A06 Alvand Academics 11 07-27-2008 12:00 PM
French 1a06 shleyaa Academics 12 07-04-2008 06:42 PM

French 1A06

Old 04-09-2009 at 09:23 AM   #31
laurastevens

Liked: 2 Times

French 1A06
It really depends on your previous level of french education because anyone with grade 12 french gets put in this class. So you have a mix of people with core french, french immersion and all french schools in one class, which makes it a little interesting.

I really liked the class...

all say thanks to laurastevens for this post.
Old 08-30-2009 at 02:52 AM   #30
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
I also had a question about this course, there are a ton of novels listed on the Titles course materials page. Yet, they're listed as optional =/ e.g. Zadig by Voltaire. Do we get those as well, all of them, or what exactly happens?
Old 08-30-2009 at 10:27 AM   #31
laurastevens

Liked: 2 Times
Don't buy any books yet! Wait until the first day of class when your professor will tell you which book your class will be using. They list all the books that different sections use, but you will probably only end up needing 2.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to laurastevens for this post.
Old 08-30-2009 at 11:53 AM   #32
KRan

Liked: 10 Times
I read Les Grandes Mareés (Jacques Poulin) and Zadig (Voltaire) last year. You have to write an essay based on the book you read for the exam. Each prof chooses different books.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to KRan for this post.
Old 08-30-2009 at 04:00 PM   #33
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Ohh thanks guys, that makes so much sense. I was wondering how it takes 8 months to read so many books . Ah, essay in French =/ .. can't wait
Old 12-19-2009 at 10:44 PM   #34
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

We saw last year's exam as practice. But I had a question relating to the writing portion on the exam, how much/what kind of preparation do you need to do to be completely ready for the long answer/essay question on the exam. Since it's 500-600 words, I would assume you need to know in-depth information, I just don't know where to start in general.
PS-More specifically, in my section, we read Maupassant's short stories.
Old 06-14-2010 at 01:23 PM   #35
t.dot

Liked: 0 Times
I took grade 12 french and it wasn't too bad and my friends who took grade 12 french and did quite well say that french in university is very difficult. Why could that be?

Also, there seems to be quite a bit of homework in this course... Is it very time consuming... like how many hours should I expect to be spending on this course per week??

thanks
Old 06-14-2010 at 01:28 PM   #36
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times
I took french until grade 12 and I didn't have any trouble with this course. That might be because I've spoken french since i was 5 but I didn't find there was a whole lot of homework in the course, but everybody has their own idea of what makes a course hard so don't base it only on the opinions of a couple of people. I'm sure there are people who find it really hard and time consuming and others that have to do little to no work in the course and get really good grades anyways.

Old 06-14-2010 at 02:08 PM   #37
t.dot

Oh ya thats true. Everyone's different. I have another question... is it possible to be able to do a minor in french by taking french 1a06 in summer school???
Old 06-14-2010 at 03:58 PM   #38
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

As long as you take enough units of the subject then you should be able to get the minor, no matter when you take the courses (during the fall/winter or spring/summer).

Old 06-14-2010 at 07:08 PM   #39
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times
You'll need 24 units to complete a minor usually, but check your faculty/department to make sure. It usually says somewhere on the Undergraduate Calendar.
Old 06-23-2010 at 11:49 PM   #40
MTK3

Is it possible for any student to take the 1A06 course as an elective? Will it count as 2 electives since it has 6 credits?
Old 06-24-2010 at 12:42 AM   #41
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Yup it does. That's what I took it as.

Old 06-25-2010 at 11:39 AM   #42
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times
No, it'll only count as one elective. 6 units just means that the course takes place throughout the year.
Old 06-26-2010 at 01:15 AM   #43
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
No, it'll only count as one elective. 6 units just means that the course takes place throughout the year.
It's one elective that covers the unit count for normally two electives. You would get the same thing as if you were to take 2 electives that are only 3 units.

Old 07-05-2010 at 09:59 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRan View Post
I LOVED this course, because the 20-30 people was a nice change to all my larger classes. I had Dr. Hanley as my prof and he is very funny and genuinely wants to get to know you. I'm considering taking one of his upper year classes because I liked him so much.

I came in with Grade 12 French Immersion, and found the course really easy. None of the concepts were new, but I understood them better than I did in high school, and definitely improved my written and spoken French.

My class did two days of grammar and one day of literature for both semesters. I didn't find the tutorials very interesting and my mark in our weekly quizzes didn't really change depending on whether or not I had spent the 2 hours learning the vocab.

If you can get Dr. Hanley, I would highly recommend this course!
I heard something about a spoken presentation did you have to do a spocken presentation?

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search