MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taking Fourth Year Courses in Third Year beebee2 Academics 1 05-05-2014 06:02 PM
Fourth Year Electives SciGuy Academics 3 06-08-2013 05:17 PM
Biochem third year and fourth year courses lovekblue Academics 6 06-06-2013 02:23 PM
Found this in my fourth year.. Fairweather Introduce Yourself 2 10-11-2012 05:02 PM
Taking second year courses in third/fourth year b.m. Academics 1 07-27-2010 10:37 PM

fourth year is going downhill, help!

Old 10-14-2014 at 08:18 PM   #1
anna.rzez

Liked: 1 Time

fourth year is going downhill, help!
i've always been an okay student, getting marks ranging from 65-85 (I'm a social sciences health studies student), feeling confident in assignments, making good quality notes of my readings, etc. This year though (my final year) i'm struggling more than I ever have since i started university. I cant seem to get out of bed to go to classes, when i try to sit at home and do readings the readings don't make any sense to me, I cant seem to pick out the important information from the unimportant information, all of it seems insignificant. I feel like i'm getting dumber. It discourages me when everyday i try to do readings, don't understand them, and try again tomorrow. I feel like i'm never going to get through it, and if i do read something i feel like i will probably forget it when the test comes along, and scared i'm going to fail all my classes. What do i do??

i'm also going through some personal things at the moment including having to unexpectedly move, but i dont see how it would affect my ability to synthesize readings to this extent
Old 10-14-2014 at 08:57 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

The one thing that really sticks out from your post is that you're having trouble getting out of bed to go to class. There is no way that anyone can possibly say for certain based on a few sentences that someone posts online, but it sounds like you might have depression and/or anxiety. Depression in particular can make people feel like they can't get out of bed, and can also have significant cognitive effects, where it is hard to remember things or pay attention. It might be worth considering, and possibly seeing a doctor and/or counsellor.
Old 10-15-2014 at 03:01 PM   #3
auri

Liked: 3 Times

I agree with what starfish said, it sounds like you could benefit from speaking to a counsellor or doctor in the SWC. Do you know other people in your program? Maybe you could start meeting up with some friends before midterms to talk through the readings and lecture material. Changing your study habits might also help. Instead of studying at home try sitting in a coffee shop, or try out a different library than you usually go to. Instead of worrying about taking perfect notes just try to read to understand the material.

And try to be understanding with yourself instead of getting overwhelmed and frustrated for sleeping in or having to read something twice. It's normal to start feeling burnt out by fourth year, especially if you've got other personal things going on as well. What do you do for stress relief? Taking a break to go for a walk or doing some yoga in the morning before class might help to clear your head and energize you.
Old 10-16-2014 at 10:02 AM   #4
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 164 Times

I don't think it's depression, I think you've just temporarily lost motivation. Try to go out more, take some time for yourself where you don't think about school for a few hours - go see a movie, grab coffees with a friend, just let go of everything temporarily so you feel refreshed. Then push yourself to get started - don't think about how long those essays you have to write will be, but think of the feeling you'll get when you finally get them back and see that kickass grade! get up in the morning to go to school not because you have to, but tell yourself that today could very well be the best day of yourself - you never know what could happen, what opportunities could present themselves.

Good luck with everything
PS, less than 7 weeks left of classes. that's all. Just 7 little weeks... you can undoubtedly do this!

Last edited by SweetyTweety : 10-16-2014 at 10:11 AM.