MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Freaking out Galleria Academics 5 08-16-2011 10:32 PM
Fine arts students!!? andrew22 General Discussion 6 04-09-2010 07:26 PM
Jon Montgomery is the FREAKING MAN lawleypop General Discussion 8 02-22-2010 04:56 PM
I don't freaking believe this. smiles Residence & Housing 15 01-19-2010 08:46 PM

FREAKING OUT - Library fine of $300 !?

Old 01-10-2012 at 08:48 PM   #1
nour.afara

Liked: 0 Times

FREAKING OUT - Library fine of $300 !?
Okay so I have an email from Mills saying I have overdue books. They've been out for about a month or so because I needed them for a research paper and then kept forgetting to take the big, heavy bag of books back to the library. The email says that the amount of $396.00 is now added to my McMaster amount for me to pay off because apparently I lost all those books. That is untrue. I had asked a lady at the check out desk and she told me there is no penalty for over due books so that's why I did not stress over bringing them back. I'm freaking out. If I return the book tomorrow, will I still have to pay that entire amount??
Old 01-10-2012 at 08:51 PM   #2
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

I would advice taking your books back and talking to the lady about the issue.
Old 01-10-2012 at 09:05 PM   #3
Bug324

Liked: 25 Times

Something similar happened to me once, but not at Mac. What had happened was that, since they assumed I had lost the book, they were charging me the full amount to replace it. Once I brought it back, it went from being "lost" to "overdue", and I only had to pay about $3. Maybe this is what's going on...?
Old 01-10-2012 at 09:46 PM   #4
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

There are late charges as far as I remember . Just go in and speak to them. Not a student , one of the actual librarians
Old 01-10-2012 at 09:55 PM   #5
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Hey Nour!

First off... deep breath. Things will get sorted out

Second, you can review the 'official' library policies about returning books here:
http://library.mcmaster.ca/borrow

It says:
Quote:
If another user has recalled a book you have checked out, you will receive an email notification requesting you to return the book. You have until 14 days from the original loan date or 5 days from the date of recall, whichever is longer, in which to return the book, after which a fine of up to $5 a day or partial day is levied.

If you don't return an overdue item we suspend your borrowing privileges, charge a book replacement fee, and a non-refundable administrative charge per item.
So what they've done is charged your the book replacement fee. Since you still have the books, just return them and ask to wipe the fee off your student record.

AngieC, swarly like this.
Old 01-11-2012 at 12:13 AM   #6
Maitland

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
So what they've done is charged your the book replacement fee. Since you still have the books, just return them and ask to wipe the fee off your student record.
However if I read it correctly, you will still have to pay the non-refundable administrative fee...
Old 01-12-2012 at 01:22 PM   #7
katrinabell

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
There are late charges as far as I remember . Just go in and speak to them. Not a student , one of the actual librarians
Just as an FYI, the people who aren't students who work at the front desk aren't librarians. Not every adult in a library is a librarian and they have nothing to do with the charges so you wouldn't need to go see one.