MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anti duckface lorend Body & Food 1 09-17-2010 10:25 AM
Was the H1N1 virus as big of a deal as people made it? Kathy2 General Discussion 9 03-04-2010 05:59 PM
virus? Charbs Computers & Tech 21 01-29-2010 12:07 PM
Norton Anti-virus 2009 and CCAA RoyK General Discussion 0 10-14-2008 03:03 PM

Free Anti-virus?

Old 07-12-2009 at 05:04 PM   #1
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

Free Anti-virus?
i have heard that we can download a free anti-virus(Sophos) with 1 year free update as Mac students. how many times can we download it? can we download it twice using same mac id and use it on 2 or 3 different computers? and after the first year of free updates get over then do we have to buy the anti-virus?
Old 07-12-2009 at 05:33 PM   #2
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

I don't know anything about one for Mac students, but AVG is both free and a good anti-virus/anti-spyware
Old 07-12-2009 at 05:39 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I use Avast, it's also free unless you want the premium.
Old 07-12-2009 at 05:47 PM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I use AVG as well. It's free and it's been great so far ^-^
Old 07-12-2009 at 05:49 PM   #5
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

but does anyone have any idea abt sophos?how is it?
Old 07-12-2009 at 05:51 PM   #6
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanishka View Post
but does anyone have any idea abt sophos?how is it?
I looked it up online, and it seems to be pretty well reviewed, by mac and windows users alike. I have no personal experience though.
Old 07-12-2009 at 05:55 PM   #7
jeffgreen

Liked: 8 Times

Its a good program, and free through UTS (University Technology Services). I'm not sure about multiple copies, but you can download it at:
https://antivirus.mcmaster.ca /

It reminds me of Norton AntiVirus Corperate Editon (at least when I used it), with a very minimal interface and running silently in the background (unlike Mcaffe or norton home, which are very annoying and intrusive). I havn't used it for the last two years though.

All you need is a Mac ID.

Last edited by jeffgreen : 07-12-2009 at 06:00 PM. Reason: i hate laptops...
Old 07-12-2009 at 05:56 PM   #8
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

Hopefully this will help.
https://antivirus.mcmaster.ca /
You can download a new version after the year is up.

For your other questions, you could always contact UTS.
Old 07-12-2009 at 06:23 PM   #9
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

Sophos is decent. It does the job but the interface isn't all that great. AVG is okay to... for a free antivirus but a lot goes undetected so its good to run ad-ad aware or spy-bot on the side just for extra protection.

For a free antivirus software I would reccomend if your a rogers user to get the antivirus that they offer. Its better than all the other ones that you can get online!

There is one thing I'd also recommend its housecall. Its really, really good. http://housecall.trendmicro. com/

it doesn't offer real time protection but it picks up viruses that other anti-viruses don't. It's a good idea to run it every now and then.
Old 07-12-2009 at 07:07 PM   #10
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelp View Post

For a free antivirus software I would reccomend if your a rogers user to get the antivirus that they offer. Its better than all the other ones that you can get online!
mmm I don't really trust Rogers so easily anymore. I tried to download their latest antivirus program on one of my computers, and it crashed/doesn't load up properly anymore. However, that might be because I had AVG and another sort of spyware protection program on it.
Old 07-12-2009 at 07:18 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh999 View Post
mmm I don't really trust Rogers so easily anymore. I tried to download their latest antivirus program on one of my computers, and it crashed/doesn't load up properly anymore. However, that might be because I had AVG and another sort of spyware protection program on it.
Yeah, it's not recommended to run more than 1 AV program at the same time...
Old 07-12-2009 at 08:09 PM   #12
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

I've been using the Sophos anti-virus provided by mac for about a year now and it seems to do what its supposed to do. Havent had a problem with it at all (ie. doesn't slow down my laptop, error messages etc.) I also tried out NOD32 antivirus http://www.eset.com/products/nod32.php since I heard it was the best available but honestly I couldn't see any difference between the two.
Old 07-12-2009 at 08:12 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I've been using the Sophos anti-virus provided by mac for about a year now and it seems to do what its supposed to do. Havent had a problem with it at all (ie. doesn't slow down my laptop, error messages etc.) I also tried out NOD32 antivirus http://www.eset.com/products/nod32.php since I heard it was the best available but honestly I couldn't see any difference between the two.
Not many people will see the difference as they do not visit sketchy sites or download random programs/applications. Honestly, you don't even need anti-virus if you know what you are doing.
Old 07-12-2009 at 08:19 PM   #14
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Not many people will see the difference as they do not visit sketchy sites or download random programs/applications. Honestly, you don't even need anti-virus if you know what you are doing.
Ya Windows Defender is probably enough, but I guess some people are really paranoid about security lol.
Old 07-12-2009 at 08:20 PM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Ya Windows Defender is probably enough, but I guess some people are really paranoid about security lol.
Definitively, it's nice to have that security so you don't have to worry all the time.