MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRADE FRENCH 1Z06 for SPANISH 1Z06 PLZZZ Liz.enriquez Academics 0 09-16-2010 05:57 PM
french 1z06 3D day jordan19 Academics 3 08-30-2010 04:50 PM
French 1Z06? jordan19 Academics 3 08-25-2010 10:39 AM
French 1z06 and Spanish 1z06 (credit confusion) oli13 Academics 1 07-02-2010 04:48 PM
French 1Z06 bieneres Academics 12 12-16-2009 12:47 AM

French 1z06 labs

Old 08-10-2010 at 03:24 PM   #1
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

French 1z06 labs
I was just curious as to what one does in a language course for labs (mandatory????). Like it says there is a written assignment to it, but a beginners french class cant have a 3 hour long essay each week. Also, can anyone find the times, I know SOLAR says we get to pick them but i don't know what to pick lol
Old 08-10-2010 at 03:37 PM   #2
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

Labs.....in a language class? (head explodes)

In language tutorials ( ), you mainly go over exercises you've done for class, and review some of the grammatical subtleties not mentioned or explained thoroughly by your prof.
Old 08-10-2010 at 03:43 PM   #3
lilkarina

Liked: 8 Times

i took french 1z06 a few years ago so unless they changed it since then there was just three 1hr lectures. i think we had a couple of written assignments but they were take home ones and they were pretty easy.
Old 08-10-2010 at 03:45 PM   #4
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmowen View Post
Labs.....in a language class? (head explodes)

In language tutorials ( ), you mainly go over exercises you've done for class, and review some of the grammatical subtleties not mentioned or explained thoroughly by your prof.
im not sur eif ur mockin me but it clearly says labs

An intensive course for developing basic skills in both written and spoken French. The normal sequel to this course is FRENCH 2Z06. Five hours (two hours lectures, three hours independent personal computer lab assignments); two terms

Students with prior knowledge of the language, as determined by a placement test, may be required to enrol in an appropriate alternative.
Old 08-10-2010 at 03:59 PM   #5
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
im not sur eif ur mockin me but it clearly says labs

An intensive course for developing basic skills in both written and spoken French. The normal sequel to this course is FRENCH 2Z06. Five hours (two hours lectures, three hours independent personal computer lab assignments); two terms

Students with prior knowledge of the language, as determined by a placement test, may be required to enrol in an appropriate alternative.
Nay, not mocking - just surprised at the combination. Labs are more common for science students, not humanities/ social science students.....unless you make French food in French class now.....(I actually did that in gr12 French - what has the world come to?! )

And those are computer lab assignments, not labs; it means you'll be doing online assignments. These are usually quick quizzes and sight-translation exercises (both to and from English)

Last edited by Shmowen : 08-10-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-10-2010 at 04:17 PM   #6
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

I havent taken French 1Z06, so this is just a guess, but my mom's degree is in French and she used to have labs where they'd have to go and sit in a little booth/cubicle thingy and read a passage into a microphone connected to the TA's headset and the TA would switch the channels to listen to different people, and you were marked on pronunciation.

I don't know if that's what these labs are, but labs are possible in a language course--just a different type of lab
Old 08-10-2010 at 04:32 PM   #7
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

hi i took french 1z06 last year. it was just 2 hr sessions a week. the lab is unscheduled; it is just some exercises that you do on a CD each week which you can do on your own time. You don't have to do it but the questions for the exam and midterm come from cd exercises. hope this helps
Old 08-10-2010 at 04:37 PM   #8
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
hi i took french 1z06 last year. it was just 2 hr sessions a week. the lab is unscheduled; it is just some exercises that you do on a CD each week which you can do on your own time. You don't have to do it but the questions for the exam and midterm come from cd exercises. hope this helps
ya it does actually, soit isnt mandatory then. im actually quite good at french and my two best friends are french immersion so i practice quite alot of french with them. if its not mandatory, I prob wont go to it bc its prob gonna be a 3 hours of wasted time

THANKS!
Old 08-10-2010 at 04:48 PM   #9
sinthusized
Elite Member

Quote:
ya it does actually, soit isnt mandatory then. im actually quite good at french and my two best friends are french immersion so i practice quite alot of french with them. if its not mandatory, I prob wont go to it bc its prob gonna be a 3 hours of wasted time

THANKS!
just so you know it's unscheduled. that means you do it whenever you want to (anywhere where there is a computer). It actually takes about an hour or so each week. Basically, you would do the cd exercises as studying for tests if that makes sense.
Old 08-12-2010 at 12:37 AM   #10
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

so it doesnt matter which lab i pick right bc i dont want it to conflict with anything
Old 08-12-2010 at 01:03 AM   #11
sinthusized
Elite Member

Quote:
so it doesnt matter which lab i pick right bc i dont want it to conflict with anything
yep that's right