life sci 2h03 ? 0t10 Academics 4 06-17-2010 01:58 PM

French 2H03

French 2H03
French Linguistics
Published by pmax
12-18-2009
Published by

French 2H03

This course is much easier if you have already completed Linguist 1A03 - Introductory Linguistics.

At the beginning this course covers theories of language and linguistic concepts. It's very simple, and sort of a waste of time. The course covers IPA and phonetic transcription. Then, you move on to pretty easy concepts like syllables, intonation, stress, etc. and lastly there's a bit or morphology.

I had Dr. Kliffer for this class. The textbook and courseware are helpful and necessary. There is daily homework assigned that is checked randomly. It's usually a very short assignment and helps review the main concepts of the lectures.

Dr. Kliffer posts online lecture outlines that are really helpful. It's easier to follow along when you have the notes in front of you. He elaborates on the slides though, so it's important to go to class.

The quizzes are very fair. There are no surprises. They are every other week, 15 multiple choice questions, each one worth 10% of your grade.

The final exam was also very fair. There was a matching question, fill in the blanks, transcribing text, going from IPA transcription to normal orthography, and a 200 word short answer question. Dr. Kliffer gives you the final questions on the last day of class and you choose one question to answer on the final exam.

I highly recommend this course with Dr. Kliffer, especially if you have taken Linguist 1A03. His French is very clear and understandable, and he translates into English when necessary.

asloan, feonateresa all say thanks to pmax for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for French 2H03!

Old 12-19-2009 at 08:18 AM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times
Awesome, I was debating on whether or not I'd take this class next year and I think I will!
Old 12-19-2009 at 01:02 PM   #3
KRan

Liked: 10 Times
Would you still be okay without previous linguistic knowledge?
Old 12-19-2009 at 01:12 PM   #4
pmax

Liked: 0 Times
Yes, you can definitely take this course without any linguistic knowledge beforehand. It isn't a pre-requisite class. If you have already taken Ling 1AA3, a portion of this course is just review so you have a bit of an advantage, although you do learn more vowel sounds that are used in French and not English. Not to worry though, you can absolutely take this course and do well in it if you haven't taken linguistics before.

KRan says thanks to pmax for this post.

Old 05-27-2011 at 11:40 AM   #5
somasv

Liked: 0 Times
I think I'll take this next year as well. Thanks!
Old 09-06-2013 at 02:00 PM   #6
Allana:)

Liked: 46 Times
I'm in this class and I had to miss the first one. :( Does anybody know where to get the courseware? Do you actually have to go and buy it from Copies Plus or does he give it to you in class?

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search