MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini Fridges DonJuan General Discussion 5 08-23-2010 10:37 AM
two fridges, one room dumbconsumer Residence & Housing 12 08-19-2010 12:28 AM
Two mini fridges in a double room (Les Prince)? Ohmz Residence & Housing 3 09-12-2009 04:48 PM
Mini Fridges TheAxtmann Residence & Housing 62 09-01-2009 09:49 PM
Fridges spiotrowski Moulton Hall Forum 20 07-21-2008 03:52 PM

Fridges - Continued

Old 07-25-2010 at 04:11 PM   #16
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
It's one fridge per room so if you are sharing then you can split the money b/w your roomies and not pay the full price
I'm in a single room, lol.
Old 07-25-2010 at 04:15 PM   #17
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

I think that for many ppl who think its a great idea arent the ones movin into res next year. its like me telling you cannot have a fridge in your own house and you and ur neighbours have to share one fridge and we're just going to SPRING it on you right after you cant back out
Old 07-25-2010 at 04:39 PM   #18
etoilex3

Liked: 65 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
I think that for many ppl who think its a great idea arent the ones movin into res next year. its like me telling you cannot have a fridge in your own house and you and ur neighbours have to share one fridge and we're just going to SPRING it on you right after you cant back out
Well from the perspective of someone who thinks one fridge per room is a good idea (not the mandatory renting from coldex), I was in residence last year, and will be again this year. Your analogy is definitely NOT the case. Each residence building holds hundreds of people. And if you're in a double, you're in a fairly small room. In this room, you and your roommate probably have your printers plugged in, an alarm clock, lamps, fans, heaters, laptops, cell phone chargers, honestly the list can go ON and ON. This is a MASSIVE amount of energy being generated in ONE single room.

Honestly, my roommate and i both had fridges, but mine was really small (and energystar) so what I did keep in the fridge could have definitely fit in my roommate's fridge, which was never that full.

I agree that having a fridge is a necessity, not a luxury. But needing to have two fridges in such a small area of a room is a luxury, and not necessary (unless you have religious reasons why you should have your own fridge, then that's a different story.)
Old 07-25-2010 at 04:48 PM   #19
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoilex3 View Post
well obviously the one fridge per room thing is not a cashgrab. that is a legitimate way to save energy.
I'm not sure how much I buy Mac's "energy saving" BS. Why install brand new, digital and automatic water fountains, when the other ones worked perfectly fine?
It's weird, because some things at Mac scream "Green, energy saving!" Then other things, I'm left wondering wtf they were thinking.

Anyway, a mini fridge doesn't hold that much food. If you have the need for a fridge in residence, then you're probably going to need most or all of the room in that fridge. They're actually really tiny inside, there's not much room for more than one person's stuff.
Old 07-25-2010 at 04:51 PM   #20
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcars View Post
Question -- is there any information available on what they plan to do if they catch you using your own fridge? Because quite frankly, I have no intentions of paying $110 to rent a freaking 2-foot fridge for a year when I can get a bigger one for the same or less price and get to keep it...
You can get mini fridges at WalMart for almost HALF the price it costs to rent a fridge for one year from Mac.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Black-and-...ingMetho d=rr
Old 07-25-2010 at 04:53 PM   #21
etoilex3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
You can get mini fridges at WalMart for almost HALF the price it costs to rent a fridge for one year from Mac.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Black-and-...ingMetho d=rr
1. that's the american site.

2. that's 1.7 cu feet. the smallest one coldex is offering is 3 cu feet.
Old 07-25-2010 at 05:18 PM   #22
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

anyone order their fridge yet?
I hope they change the rules before school starts, which I doubt it will happen
Old 07-25-2010 at 05:53 PM   #23
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoilex3 View Post
1. that's the american site.

2. that's 1.7 cu feet. the smallest one coldex is offering is 3 cu feet.
Here's one
1. from the Canadian site
2. is 3.2 cubic feet
3. only $130.

http://www.walmart.ca/details?assetI...romSearch=true

If you lived in residence for four years, that's almost $450 you would spend to rent the fridge from Coldex. But it's only $130 to buy and keep from WalMart, and it would probably still work after you graduated.
Old 07-25-2010 at 07:06 PM   #24
etoilex3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Here's one
1. from the Canadian site
2. is 3.2 cubic feet
3. only $130.

http://www.walmart.ca/details?assetI...romSearch=true

If you lived in residence for four years, that's almost $450 you would spend to rent the fridge from Coldex. But it's only $130 to buy and keep from WalMart, and it would probably still work after you graduated.
I totally agree with you, it would be a lot cheaper to just buy a fridge (and a LOT less wasteful because you'd get the full use out of it). Imagine how many fridges coldex has to just throw away..

Unfortunately, the majority of students only stay on campus for 1 year so it really only affects the 20% of upper year students. (myself included).
Old 07-26-2010 at 03:55 PM   #25
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Liked: 115 Times

so any update on the ban on personal mini-fridges rule? i was thinking of ordering my fridge from Coldex soon
Old 07-26-2010 at 04:32 PM   #26
Pay919

Liked: 57 Times

Corruption FTW!
I dont think that they will drop their policy. The school is probably getting some of the profit from coldex.
Old 07-26-2010 at 04:45 PM   #27
drew4008

Liked: 13 Times

haha wish I was living in the dorms, I would have so much fun with this. I would love to see the RAs try to tell me I can't bring my own fridge.
Old 07-27-2010 at 11:46 AM   #28
Lulie

Liked: 18 Times

lol, i know a couple of people that said they were going to bring their own fridge...
but you'd have to be pretty damn sneaky to bring in something that heavy without attracting so much attention... and then theres the winter check-in and moving out.
im going into 2nd year, and living on rez. im probably going to rent a coldex.
it just seems like less of a hassle :/
Old 07-27-2010 at 01:54 PM   #29
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulie View Post
lol, i know a couple of people that said they were going to bring their own fridge...
but you'd have to be pretty damn sneaky to bring in something that heavy without attracting so much attention... and then theres the winter check-in and moving out.
im going into 2nd year, and living on rez. im probably going to rent a coldex.
it just seems like less of a hassle :/
definitley less of a hassle to just rent from coldex but i dont support this stupid policy and i refuse to rent from coldex with the knowledge that some of the profit is probably going to the university - they take enough money from us as it is.