MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Things that are annoying AelyaS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 582 12-24-2010 02:43 AM
Things need to bring to REZ JeetDevDesai Residence & Housing 32 06-24-2010 11:20 AM
Things To Do in Hamilton On Campus summer Local Hotspots & Travel 0 06-29-2008 09:11 AM

Fun things to do for cheap in Hamilton?

Old 03-06-2010 at 03:25 PM   #1
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Fun things to do for cheap in Hamilton?
My boyfriend and I are trying to save our money, but it gets boring sitting at home every night. What are some fun things to do around Hamilton that don't cost a lot of money? We like to go to the movies or to Tim Horton's, but does anyone have any other ideas? We don't really like spending over $10 each.
Old 03-06-2010 at 03:35 PM   #2
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times

Why not visit Hamilton Harbor/the Waterfront? I love it down there

EDIT: OH I forgot to add! Visit Dundurn Castle! You don't have to go inside but the area is awesome too.
Old 03-06-2010 at 03:46 PM   #3
kangs6

Liked: 20 Times

Hamilton Art Gallery =]
They have some really cool displays, and this "magic bus" fully of characters and stuff, very hard to explain, but you should definitely check it out.
Plus it's free for MAC students and very easy to find.
http://www.artgalleryofhamil ton.com/
Hope you guys have fun there!
Old 03-06-2010 at 03:50 PM   #4
MacLovin

Liked: 1 Time

The Hamilton Harbour/Waterfront is a great idea! Especially with the great weather we've been having.
Also, there's an aviary right near Mac and some other trails although they're probably pretty muddy right now.

Don't forget about the Get Cultured initiative which allows you to get into all of the museums in Hamilton for free with a student card.

And you can borrow movies from the library for FREE! They don't always have the greatest selection, but if you plan ahead you can request certain ones.

Those are my ideas right now, hopefully some other good ones will come up cuz I've been looking for new ideas too

Last edited by MacLovin : 03-06-2010 at 03:53 PM.

finklej says thanks to MacLovin for this post.

finklej likes this.
Old 03-06-2010 at 04:06 PM   #5
Kathy2
Elite Member

Thanks guys!
Old 03-06-2010 at 04:08 PM   #6
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Try Skyline Billiards on Main. It's $10/hr per table. When I'm with a couple friends, we usually split the cost, and pay only $2.50 or less each.
Old 03-06-2010 at 04:29 PM   #7
bieneres

Liked: 2 Times

Some of my favourite things to do is the Waterfront trail which is paved so good for rollerblading or biking too. Princess point, the bruce trail, the hamilton waterfalls
Museum wise there's dundurn castle, whitehern, the art gallery.. museum of steam and technology (where the tv show murdoch mysteries is filmed if you've ever seen it)
you could check out some of the local performing arts theatres.. the staircase theatre is really unique and they might have student discounts but otherwise its around 15 dollars per show
there's also the haunted ghost walk and if you're here over the summer there's wild water works and the african lion safari
and for five laps at the hamilton indoor go kart it's $10
some of these though are in the east end soo they might be kind of far to bus for you
Old 03-06-2010 at 04:48 PM   #8
Kathy2
Elite Member

I live near the east end
Thanks!
Old 03-06-2010 at 08:14 PM   #9
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 36 Times

You guys could go to Dinner at Sizzle in hess. On Thursdays they have this pre set menu for 15$ a person. Its really good, 3 course meals. and $5 dollar martinis. I go there a lot with my parents and it seems popular among couples too...

When its nice out, go to the dundas peak or Webster falls. Its free, and a good spot for a picnic and a bottle of wine (hide it though).

Or if you have pets, theres a doggie park in dundas behing university plaza sort of. Thats also fun, especially on weekends when everyone takes their dogs there.

theres lots of events at mcmaster that are usually cheap or free, like acoustic night every tuesday at 1280, its free. Sometimes they have events for 5-10 bucks.

you said you live in the east end, you could to to the drive in on stoney creek mountain when it gets warmer, I think its like... 7 dolalrs for a car? not sure.. but its always fun too...
Old 03-06-2010 at 08:42 PM   #10
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
My boyfriend and I are trying to save our money, but it gets boring sitting at home every night. What are some fun things to do around Hamilton that don't cost a lot of money? We like to go to the movies or to Tim Horton's, but does anyone have any other ideas? We don't really like spending over $10 each.
You could go to the first tim hortons.
Old 03-06-2010 at 09:19 PM   #11
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Go to the Reptile Store on King st.

They have different types of snakes, a giant turtle, an aligator and a crocodile

Admission is free since it's a store.
Old 03-06-2010 at 10:53 PM   #12
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katia View Post
When its nice out, go to the dundas peak or Webster falls. Its free, and a good spot for a picnic and a bottle of wine (hide it though).
How exactly do you get to Webster Falls? I've been itching to go, no idea where exactly in Hamilton it is! ^_^;
Old 03-06-2010 at 11:33 PM   #13
Katia
Account Disabled by User

It's in Dundas, by my house

Ok well I am not sure what the exact address but it's a 10 minute drive from mac. just go down cootes then pass downtown Dundas and go up the hill (king st), its just.. up there.
Old 03-06-2010 at 11:39 PM   #14
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by marieeeeeee View Post
How exactly do you get to Webster Falls? I've been itching to go, no idea where exactly in Hamilton it is! ^_^;
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...z=17&i wloc=A
Old 03-06-2010 at 11:41 PM   #15
Katia
Account Disabled by User

I see my pool!! haha