MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Print Shop JBeans General Discussion 1 04-26-2011 10:23 AM
MMT presents: Little Shop of Horrors temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-19-2010 02:18 PM
Need a good tat shop reeves General Discussion 15 09-04-2009 01:26 PM

future shop problem

Old 01-26-2013 at 06:08 PM   #1
Ponyo

Liked: 274 Times

future shop problem
I bought a Lenovo laptop at the beginning of the year. A month ago my speakers stopped working. I went to future shop since I have a 3 year warranty, the manager took my laptop to the back, came out after 5 minutes and said it's too slow, and that I broke them because I download so much stuff. I tried telling him I don't download any movies or games, but he just told me to go home and fix it myself. I didn't argue with him because he was angry and a little rude, so I went home. I'm pretty sure if he actually examined my laptop he would have noticed that there are no downloads, I only use it mainly for studying.

How can I get my laptop fixed without paying extra money, since I already have a 3 year warranty that I haven't used ? also has anyone had a bad experience with future shop ?
Old 01-26-2013 at 06:19 PM   #2
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

1) Go to another futureshop. Your warranty is valid at all stores in Canada.
2) After you get it fixed call futureshop and complain. Tell them:
-This manager was horribly rude and denied you your rightful service
-That you were highly offended that the manager would suggest you perform illegal tasks often
-That it would discourage you or anyone you know from buying at any futureshop again

By the way I got a manager at bestbuy like this once. I asked him for his name and employee number and told him I would report him for negligence and disrespect to customers. I got what I wanted pretty quick.

edit: Also add that the manager is a F*C*ING idiot. Downloads break SPEAKERS??? Im still trying to get my head around that logic. Its probably a driver problem with your last update if anything

Ponyo says thanks to qwerty91 for this post.

Old 01-26-2013 at 06:21 PM   #3
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

downloads kill speakers? lol

Old 01-26-2013 at 06:23 PM   #4
mikefung

Liked: 11 Times

Usually its the manufacturer provides the warrenty. Try to talk to the repair department of the laptop's brand and file a RMA. Futureshop (or similar) offer returns usually up to a month or so. After that they are not much help.

I had my Asus laptop sent to their repair center before because the monitor had a dead line. Got it replaced and shipped it back in 1 week without charging me a penny.

Ponyo says thanks to mikefung for this post.
Old 01-26-2013 at 06:30 PM   #5
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefung View Post
Usually its the manufacturer provides the warrenty. Try to talk to the repair department of the laptop's brand and file a RMA. Futureshop (or similar) offer returns usually up to a month or so. After that they are not much help.

I had my Asus laptop sent to their repair center before because the monitor had a dead line. Got it replaced and shipped it back in 1 week without charging me a penny.
This is true. I assumed that by 3 year warrenty you paid extra for a futureshop 3 year warrenty...In which case this is all futureshop, and you only deal with them. If somehow the 3 year warranty is from lenovo (they are usually only 1year) you will probably have to go through them.
Old 01-26-2013 at 06:38 PM   #6
Ponyo

mike i have a 3 year with future and one year with lenovo .. so i could if i want just go straight to lenovo ?

thanks for the advice qwerty91 i think im gonna go back to the same store and stand up to him this time haha
Old 01-26-2013 at 06:53 PM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Stores usually have both. Like a X warranty from retailer and Y warranty which is usually longer from the manufacturer. As above said, take it to a different store and then after fixed complain about that person. This is also why you don't buy stuff from Future shop/best buy (pc's at least)

Ponyo likes this.
Old 01-26-2013 at 07:04 PM   #8
Ponyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
Stores usually have both. Like a X warranty from retailer and Y warranty which is usually longer from the manufacturer. As above said, take it to a different store and then after fixed complain about that person. This is also why you don't buy stuff from Future shop/best buy (pc's at least)
what stores do you recommend for the future ?
Old 01-26-2013 at 07:20 PM   #9
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Costco! Above average specs for the price of my laptop, and there's no way they could be rude since you're a member.

Ponyo says thanks to Watoko for this post.

icecubz, Ponyo like this.
Old 01-26-2013 at 07:22 PM   #10
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyo View Post
what stores do you recommend for the future ?
Never ever buy store warranty. I wish you luck, that FutureShop manager was an asshole and you should've replied to him loudly in the store and said "DOWNLOADING DOESN'T BREAK SPEAKERS! GIVE ME SOMEONE WHO KNOWS SOMETHING ABOUT COMPUTERS!"

Ponyo says thanks to Afzal for this post.

lgdynasty, Ponyo, Watoko like this.
Old 01-26-2013 at 07:28 PM   #11
pavlov

Liked: 72 Times

Wow just wow. I would have had a lot of fun with this incompetent "manager".

Afzal, jim1 like this.
Old 01-26-2013 at 07:32 PM   #12
Ponyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavlov View Post
Wow just wow. I would have had a lot of fun with this incompetent "manager".
i didn't want to make him more angry so i jut left haha
Old 01-26-2013 at 08:31 PM   #13
sinnersdrown

Liked: 89 Times

This is why when I bought my Lenovo at future shop a month ago that I talked to the manager and repair guy and got to feel them out.
Old 01-26-2013 at 08:41 PM   #14
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

wht a moron! Downloads kill speakers! where do they find ppl who know next to nothing besides typing to be managers?

ask him is skyping is a good idea, it might break the camera!

as someone else said, go to some other Future shop (anyone, it doesnt matter). From personal exp. future shop has the worst customer service!

Additionally I had problems with my HDMI and speakers,and best buy took care of it. Plus since its less than a year, and is a hardware issue, it must fall on the manufacturer, provided u didnt actually damage it

Last edited by jon.john23 : 01-26-2013 at 08:46 PM.

Ponyo says thanks to jon.john23 for this post.

Afzal, jim1, Ponyo like this.
Old 01-26-2013 at 09:25 PM   #15
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Also, never take your computer to Future Shop if you have a virus. I think their general protocol is just to wipe the hard drive and install a new copy of the OS. That said, one of the smartest programmers I know worked at FS.