MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to study for microecon cjdzl Academics 7 09-22-2010 12:16 AM
Library to sit and study Juve First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-11-2010 06:44 PM
Study In Australia Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 05-23-2009 04:55 PM
How to study? MacEng Academics 6 09-14-2008 01:04 PM

G1: How & where to study it from?

Old 06-16-2009 at 06:45 PM   #1
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

G1: How & where to study it from?
So as the title states I'm advised to give my G1 ASAP in order to get lower insurance quotes in the long term future. However I was wondering if there is anyway I can study for it without spending cash and buying official guidebooks?(It's the summer, I'm unemployed and broke )

Does anyone here know of any free online source where I can atleast get practice question or rules?

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 06-16-2009 at 06:47 PM   #2
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Pretty much all you need to know:

http://www.apnatoronto.com/ontario-g...tice-test.html
http://www.g1test.com/

The actual road rules are pretty simple. The signs are what's tricky, and you can find them all on-line in different places.

Last edited by Goce : 06-16-2009 at 06:49 PM.

huzaifa47 says thanks to Goce for this post.
Old 06-16-2009 at 06:59 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

I've had my G for nearly three years.

I'm about to be upgraded to full-time insurance (I was an occasional driver before) and I'm supposed to be paying about $2000. I have no accidents, tickets etc.

You're a male, so you're going to be paying more than I am, period.

That and it also depends on where you're from and where you use your car (pleasure vs. going to work/school). If you live in a city you will be paying more, as there is a higher chance you'll be in an accident.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

huzaifa47 says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 06-16-2009 at 07:09 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I'm sure there are a bunch more factors. I even heard somewhere that the colour of your car makes a difference...
Old 06-16-2009 at 07:12 PM   #5
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I'm sure there are a bunch more factors. I even heard somewhere that the colour of your car makes a difference...
I think I heard this too.

I think red cars or something cost more for insurance.
Old 06-16-2009 at 07:12 PM   #6
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
I've had my G for nearly three years.

I'm about to be upgraded to full-time insurance (I was an occasional driver before) and I'm supposed to be paying about $2000. I have no accidents, tickets etc.

You're a male, so you're going to be paying more than I am, period.

That and it also depends on where you're from and where you use your car (pleasure vs. going to work/school). If you live in a city you will be paying more, as there is a higher chance you'll be in an accident.
Lol, I don't plan on driving in the near future either but I am being harrased on a daily basis by parentals to get it. But lol being male= more insurance, how untrue! where I come from its the females who are ponderous/slow reflexed/victims and perpetrators of most car accidents. But then again I come from an anarchic mega city where the traffic laws are non-existant and its more like rules of the jungle back there(Karachi, Pakistan).

@Goce: I know, but I've previously given a test and driven in a "mirrored" road system. So its all very wierd for me unless I get visual pictures showing which way to turn/go in an opposite system

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 06-16-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-16-2009 at 07:16 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I think red cars or something cost more for insurance.
I also heard it was red cars... so it must be somewhat true?

Insurance companies have analysts that do these kinds of things. If red cars cost more for insurance it's because red cars get into accidents more than other cars.

Most of the rules are common sense though. Like the fact that if you get to an all way stop at the same time as other people the person on the right has the right of way. It's because half way through the intersection the car to the left can start going and it clears the intersection faster.

Last edited by jhan523 : 06-16-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-16-2009 at 09:52 PM   #8
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
I also heard it was red cars... so it must be somewhat true?

Insurance companies have analysts that do these kinds of things. If red cars cost more for insurance it's because red cars get into accidents more than other cars.

Most of the rules are common sense though. Like the fact that if you get to an all way stop at the same time as other people the person on the right has the right of way. It's because half way through the intersection the car to the left can start going and it clears the intersection faster.
The colour is particularly a liability for being broken into. Apparently thieves like black and red cars, not so much grey or white.
Old 06-16-2009 at 10:03 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Ah ok, I agree with the thieves, black and red > grey or white ^-^
Old 06-16-2009 at 10:30 PM   #10
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Lol, I don't plan on driving in the near future either but I am being harrased on a daily basis by parentals to get it. But lol being male= more insurance, how untrue! where I come from its the females who are ponderous/slow reflexed/victims and perpetrators of most car accidents. But then again I come from an anarchic mega city where the traffic laws are non-existant and its more like rules of the jungle back there(Karachi, Pakistan).

@Goce: I know, but I've previously given a test and driven in a "mirrored" road system. So its all very wierd for me unless I get visual pictures showing which way to turn/go in an opposite system
lol yes my parents are on my back about not getting G1 too but the book is so boring to read. I don't plan on driving but it kinda sucks to carry around my passport with a pic of me at 14/15 as ID.
Old 06-16-2009 at 11:26 PM   #11
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Yeah....Don't pick the color red for your car. Grey is definitely the best insurance wise.....plus it covers up scratches the best.
Old 06-16-2009 at 11:54 PM   #12
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
There are a multitude of factors that go into determining your insurance.
Yes, the rating system is sexist, males do get charged more, for we are more prone to be "wreckless" drivers. Colours also affect the price as well. Red, bright colours typically found on sportscars may increase the rates.
Also get a 4-door sedan, 2-door coupes you have to pay more since it's "sportier" meaning that they'll assume you're a driver that tends to drive faster.
Condition, make, year, all that jazz about your car determines it as well.

Try to find a chinese test book. I studied from it and it was the exact same questions from the test and had all the answers, same layout and everything. It's a really easy test, really just common sense. I've had friends walk in and pass it without studying.
Old 06-17-2009 at 12:13 AM   #13
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goce View Post
The colour is particularly a liability for being broken into. Apparently thieves like black and red cars, not so much grey or white.
It's true! My dad has a red truck and it costs more to insure than the same truck in a different colour, and I know someone who just got a new (silver) car, and the agent asked about the colour and said that red cars get stolen more.