MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tim Hortons Raises Prices Chad MacInsiders Announcements 30 09-04-2009 03:03 PM
Notebook prices question Afzal General Discussion 19 08-09-2009 04:37 PM
GO transit prices [email protected] First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 09-12-2008 06:59 PM
Oil Prices J-Met Politics 7 06-20-2008 10:03 PM

Gas Prices!

Old 05-18-2011 at 06:43 PM   #1
jennyjenn555

Liked: 0 Times

Gas Prices!
Hello Mac Insiders Community!

I recently read an article in the newspaper and feel the need to share it with the world! As it turns out, gas prices are no longer high because of what was going on in Lybia, turns out that the gas companies are only paying about 3 cents for every litre and charging us those ridiculous prices like 1.41 dollar/L!
Lets not forget that there was a time where gas prices used to be about 70 cents, and now it's twice as expensive.
Anyways, I'm sure you've all head about the "don't pump on May 15th (or whatever date)" on facebook, however, these massive gas companies are not going to go broke if people stop pumping for one day, assuming that everyone will do it. SO what can we do!?
Well thanks to chain letters, I received one saying that there is no point in not pumping for one day, what we CAN do however is pump at the smaller gas companies..(beaver, husky etc..but make sure they have no affiliation with the bigger gas companies) This way the bigger companies will feel obligated to lower their prices in order to compete with the smaller companies which have lower prices anyways..
Petro Canada, Sunoco and Esso have lost my business for life! they are taking advantage of the masses and no one is speaking up! So fellow students, I challenge you to do something about these raging gas prices and contribute only to the smaller companies
It might just work
Old 05-18-2011 at 06:52 PM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

There are no small gas companies near the area in which I live in, so Shell it is.

Krusenik likes this.
Old 05-18-2011 at 07:44 PM   #3
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Dam Petro, why can't you be in high-tech zone of Kanata so I can collect my points :(

Krusenik likes this.
Old 05-18-2011 at 07:45 PM   #4
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

lol, chain letters. Gas hurts no matter what when you have a 4.6L V8. Pay to play

I've actually been filling up at Pioneer lately, 87 octane is a bit cheaper there. Keeping tabs via spreadsheet to account for any mileage differences between brands to see if I'm actually saving money.

jennyjenn555, Krusenik like this.
Old 05-18-2011 at 08:32 PM   #5
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

The majority of the smaller gas stations are owned by big corporation(owned by Suncor)

Last edited by Commie8507 : 05-18-2011 at 08:39 PM.

AmyLia likes this.
Old 05-18-2011 at 08:35 PM   #6
jennyjenn555

Liked: 0 Times

I checked, Husky is its own company. In fact they recently did a quality gasoline test, and Husky had one of the higher scores in Canada
Old 05-18-2011 at 09:26 PM   #7
Twelve Chars

Liked: 318 Times

Yo man I remember when a pack of gum cost 50 cents, wtf Wrigley's? You're about to be boycotted.

And you know what, I'm pretty sure houses didn't always cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. It's not like the houses themselves have changed all that much, they're not made of diamonds now or anything, what is up with that? Housing market, you're just asking to be boycotted.

Old 05-18-2011 at 09:44 PM   #8
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Where are the sources for the claims of Husky? I pump Husky whenever I'm in Hamilton cuz it's right beside my house.

Gas has been alot lower lately. Today was only 1.28!

If you guys are angry about gas costing twice as much as before (0.70$/L in the old days) you have to remember that there's inflation. You have to look at purchasing power, not nominal rates. Minimum wage is $10.25 now where as it was $7.50 quite a few years ago.

I almost never speed now (100km/h on the high way) just to save gas. I get alot more mileage out of a tank of gas when I drive to save gas.

alh24, J. Dorey, temptingf8 like this.
Old 05-18-2011 at 09:56 PM   #9
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjenn555 View Post
Hello Mac Insiders Community!

I recently read an article in the newspaper and feel the need to share it with the world! As it turns out, gas prices are no longer high because of what was going on in Lybia, turns out that the gas companies are only paying about 3 cents for every litre and charging us those ridiculous prices like 1.41 dollar/L!
Lets not forget that there was a time where gas prices used to be about 70 cents, and now it's twice as expensive.
Anyways, I'm sure you've all head about the "don't pump on May 15th (or whatever date)" on facebook, however, these massive gas companies are not going to go broke if people stop pumping for one day, assuming that everyone will do it. SO what can we do!?
Well thanks to chain letters, I received one saying that there is no point in not pumping for one day, what we CAN do however is pump at the smaller gas companies..(beaver, husky etc..but make sure they have no affiliation with the bigger gas companies) This way the bigger companies will feel obligated to lower their prices in order to compete with the smaller companies which have lower prices anyways..
Petro Canada, Sunoco and Esso have lost my business for life! they are taking advantage of the masses and no one is speaking up! So fellow students, I challenge you to do something about these raging gas prices and contribute only to the smaller companies
It might just work
You're such a tool. We've hit peak oil a while ago, and we already stupidly and readily consume gas at ridiculous rates. What do you think would happen if gas was 'cheaper'? Our economy will crash even quicker and harder, when it does happen.

Its not a popular opinion, but I have nothing but contempt for people who complain about gas prices or just drive everywhere willy-nilly because its affordable.. in the end, it may be that 'gas companies' price gouge, but I think its for the better.

tldr: prices are high for a reason, its probably better that way, and your 'boycotting' will not have a meaningful impact

dsahota, J. Dorey, Mahratta like this.
Old 05-18-2011 at 10:02 PM   #10
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusenik View Post
Where are the sources for the claims of Husky? I pump Husky whenever I'm in Hamilton cuz it's right beside my house.

Gas has been alot lower lately. Today was only 1.28!

If you guys are angry about gas costing twice as much as before (0.70$/L in the old days) you have to remember that there's inflation. You have to look at purchasing power, not nominal rates. Minimum wage is $10.25 now where as it was $7.50 quite a few years ago.

I almost never speed now (100km/h on the high way) just to save gas. I get alot more mileage out of a tank of gas when I drive to save gas.
Thank you. It's surprising to me how few people are aware of this. I remember learning it in first-year Macroeconomics and thinking "why have I never considered this a possiblity?" You may as well boycott grocery stores because food is more expensive these days.

It's not all negative - with gas prices at a high, people are less likely to drive unless it's necessary. Less carbon emissions, less oil depletion.

Last edited by alh24 : 05-18-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-18-2011 at 10:41 PM   #11
temptingf8
Elite Member

Quote:
People always cringe when I tell them that I drive a full size sedan with a Cadillac V8 engine. I have my fun when I let 'er rip occasionally, but most of the time I take it easy like a granny on the roads.

Nobody believes me when I say I don't get much worse mileage than a V6-powered Toyota Camry or Honda Accord, and that I definitely still do similar or better than most SUV's that are SMALLER than my car.

**** the boycotts, just drive smarter.

RyanC likes this.
Old 05-18-2011 at 11:44 PM   #12
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

I once made a back and forth trip between hamilton and toronto on a QUARTER tank of gas on my 2000 Honda Accord.

TROLL FACE! (not because i'm trolling but that was the face i was making when I saw how fuel efficient I was)
Old 05-19-2011 at 09:39 AM   #13
AmyLia

Liked: 28 Times

While there is some truth to the fact that gas companies make profit out the ass off of us, it's silly to try to boycott them. And of course there is always inflation, but inflation does not fully account for the prices. There is some truth there, but I look at it this way, I live in a city with a shitty public transit system where I can't even go to the grocery store without a car...we're dependent on gas and due to this we're stuck paying the price for it, however unfair that may be.

Also, there is no such thing as a "small" gas company. They're all owned in part by larger companies or they wouldn't even have been able to enter the market. Why? Because the oil fields where they get their resources from are owned by the big companies. Use some common sense people, we don't live in a free market world.

Icecream likes this.
Old 05-19-2011 at 10:25 PM   #14
temptingf8
Elite Member

Quote:
I once made a back and forth trip between hamilton and toronto on a QUARTER tank of gas on my 2000 Honda Accord.

TROLL FACE! (not because i'm trolling but that was the face i was making when I saw how fuel efficient I was)
I did the same with my old car with a supercharged 3.8L V6 on less than a quarter tank. Big engine loafing on the highway getting 7.5 L/100km for the win.

The V8 struggles to do 9.0L/100km :(
Old 05-19-2011 at 10:34 PM   #15
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
You're such a tool. We've hit peak oil a while ago, and we already stupidly and readily consume gas at ridiculous rates. What do you think would happen if gas was 'cheaper'? Our economy will crash even quicker and harder, when it does happen.
1) Personal Attack ? "You're such a tool". But I am not surprised that Mahratta liked your post because you were using this fallacy. And you are not consuming gas Ryan, so the "we " does not apply. I know you take the bus.

2) At ridiculous rates ? Maybe, but folks need gas for cars, and need cars to take their children to sports event/facilities, market transportation, get to work on time, services, and the list goes on.

3)Rising gas prices ---> Rise product price. If a delivery truck has to pay more, the outcome will be seen on the price of most products you buy in the supermarket.

You seem to think gas consumers are only people who like to drive around for no reason...

"Prices are high for a reason" ?

No shit sherlock. There is a reason behind every action.

Here is a link for you to learn some economics http://www.investopedia.com/articles...gas-prices.asp Not really a good one, but its good for a beginner.

No offense but I also suggest you to take the course Macroeconomics 1BB3.

Last edited by Icecream : 05-19-2011 at 10:50 PM.