MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Geog 3ec3 Jason036 Academics 1 06-03-2013 09:42 AM
Should I take Geog 1HB3, Geog 1 HA3, or Health Age 1BB3 gabbynelly First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 24 07-30-2012 09:32 PM

GEOG 3EC3 info?

Old 04-12-2014 at 02:14 PM   #1
khandm2

Liked: 0 Times

GEOG 3EC3 info?
I know that it was a new course this year. Any feedback from people who took it would be appreciated. It seems like a really interesting course.
Old 04-12-2014 at 05:54 PM   #2
lsparrow1

Liked: 10 Times

I took this course this past fall, and it was pretty enjoyable and not too difficult. Every week you focus on a different environmental catastrophe (London Fog, Chernobyl etc.). The material is not very hard its just a lot remembering of events and what happened when.

The mock trials that occur at the end of the term were pretty interesting. Basically what happened was each person got to choose what topic they wanted to research for the mock trial and groups were formed from that. Then a coin was flipped to see which group had to be the defendants and which group was the plaintiffs so it was fair. For example, my topic was Chernobyl and we got assigned to be the defendants (The Soviet Union Government) whereas the plaintiffs were the people of Pripyat where the disaster occurred. Already it is clearly in the favour of the plaintiffs so it was kind of annoying to try and argue the other side and it required us to do a lot of extra research to try and make a case. I'm not sure if it was the same for all topics, but I can only give an opinion on my topic

The mock trials were a fun idea but I feel like the defending side is much harder to argue and required a lot more research since the material presented in lectures on each of the disasters never really talked about other reasons as to why these disasters may have occurred.

Other than the trials there is a midterm, a few lab assignments and a final exam. The material is not difficult at all and I think they mark the trials pretty fairly and if you "lose" the trial it does not affect your mark at all.

All in all I would recommend the course as it is very interesting and not too difficult.

Hope this helps
Old 04-13-2014 at 09:54 AM   #3
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

I think Laura summarizes this course quite well - perhaps she should copy and paste this critique under Course Reviews.