Professor Rating
90%90%90%
Interest
100%100%100%
Easiness
90%90%90%
Average 95%
Geog 3HH3

I was wondering if anyone had taken the course in previous years? The prof teaching it this year is Niko Yiannakoulia. The mark break down is:

Mid-term exam 25% February 10
Assignment 25% March 14
Final exam 50% TBA

What are his questions like? Is the assignment an essay? what did you have to do for it? Do they mark hard?

Also, I've never taken a geography course before so would it be hard for me to keep up with the class?

Thanx!
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Geog 3HH3!

Old 07-29-2011 at 07:44 PM   #2
albalks

Liked: 16 Times
Hey guys,

I found this course to be very interesting. As a Life Science student, it touched on a lot of the topics that we cover in the life science courses. The course mainly talked about the how diseases can be spread over space, how different places have an effect on someone's health and well-being. We talked about the effects of the environment on health, how society and customs can affect health.

Niko is very fair in terms of testing. There is no textbook so it is completely dependent on lectures and literature articles. The midterm had multiple choice and short answer questions. The exam only consisted of multiple choice questions. Before the midterm, he posted some practice problems.

As for the 25% essay, he is very specific with what he wants. Basically, u are assigned a continent and you're supposed to pick a country. Then he asks u to compare the birth and death rates of that country to another country, comment on why they are different (developing vs. developed etc), he asks you to talk about their health care system (is it private, public, both?). Is there a denomination that isn't able to access this system (rural, female vs. male etc). Basically he breaks it down for you into sections and within a section you have to discuss one or two things. This makes it easier to write the paper because he lets u know what topics to discuss.

Niko is very open to questions and he likes to discuss different topics in class. He's very approachable and he's very fair in terms of marking essays and tests. I would definitely recommend this class. I thought the material was very interesting and I loved learning about it from a social perspective.

oliviakhong, traveler10 all say thanks to albalks for this post.

traveler10 likes this.
Old 08-01-2011 at 10:54 AM   #3
traveler10

Liked: 51 Times
how easy is it to get a 10+ in this course ??
Old 08-01-2011 at 01:42 PM   #4
sf

Liked: 36 Times
I took this course last semester as well and loved it, so much so that I am taking 4HH3 this upcoming year. Niko is a great prof and I found his classes to be really engaging and interesting. The assignment was really straight forward and with a little effort you could easily get a high mark on it. Overall I would highly recommend this class, it is interesting and informative and easy to get a 10+ in.

traveler10 says thanks to sf for this post.

traveler10 likes this.

Old 08-06-2013 at 10:36 AM   #5
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times
has anyone taken this course in the past year that can comment on it?

also, has anyone also taken the 4hh3 course and can make a review for it or also provide a short comment on that course?
Old 08-06-2013 at 08:10 PM   #6
kirsten..!

Liked: 26 Times
i took this course in the fall of 2012 and it was super interesting! it was all about health in relation to geography, we looked at a bunch of stuff - what health is (the meaning of health); health outcomes; defining disease; scale of health/disease; epidemiology; public health; rates/proportions/incidence/prevalence; health vs wealth; infectious diseases; environments and health; mapping disease/infection; and health care systems.

there is a textbook which i found to be helpful but some people found it wasnt needed. there were definitely a couple questions on the midterm from the textbook that wasnt a large part of the lectures though.

there was a 30% midterm (short answer) which wasnt terrible, you need to know your stuff though. there was an assignment worth 30% and you had to pick a disease or something (could be anything from influenza to AIDs to heart attacks) and compare from four different places (could be 4 cities, 4 countries, etc) and look at something specific like the prevalence, incidence, death rates, etc (ex the death rates from influenza in canada vs south africa vs italy vs india)... you had to talk about why there might be differences between them. he was pretty straightforward with what he wanted, it wasn't too hard but was a bit stressful picking a topic. the exam was worth 40% and was long answer, i thinkkkk it was pick like 4 out of 6 questions or something along those lines. again it wasnt terribly hard but you need to know your stuff. overall if youre interested in the content you can get a 10+ in the course. niko is a pretty good prof, no big complaints about him!
Old 12-21-2013 at 01:19 PM   #7
shelbs

Liked: 15 Times
I took this course in Fall 2013 and I loved it. I am in Life Sci and I am interested in Health and Health Care, it was extremely enjoyable.

The beginning was a little on the slow side. We talked about Theoretical Frameworks, the various Epidemiological Transitions, basic definitions of health, disease, etc. We then discussed the difference between data and information, incidence, prevalence, and how geographic information is used to study health. Finally we covered Infectious Disease, Injuries, the history of the Canadian health care system and we compared it to the health care systems in different countries.

The midterm was multiple choice and short answer. It was a little on the long side and I think some people struggled to get it done in time. As a result, the marks were a little on the low side so the professor adjusted the mark accordingly (he changed the denominator, my mark went up about 4 or 5%).

I really enjoyed writing the assignment - it was worth 30% and required you to pick a health measure (i.e. mortality from a specific disease, incidence of a certain infection, etc.) and then compare the health measure across 3 countries. Picking the countries was difficult because they had to differ in the health measure but also had to be similar enough that they were comparable,. You then had to propose possibilities for why the health measure was different between them (but if you had picked Canada, China and Ghana, for example, it would be really difficult to pick 2 or 3 specific reasons for why the health measure differed between them) and use evidence from literature articles to support your theory. It was fun and pretty interesting. I felt that it was marked very fairly but I overheard other people saying their papers were "ripped apart", so I guess not everyone felt the same way. The average was in the mid 70's from what I remember.

The exam was 50 multiple choice and 30 marks worth of long answer (3 questions worth 10 marks each). It was very fair and I felt that the multiple choice was really straight forward. Hard to say because I haven't gotten my mark back yet but I think a 10+ is very easily attained in the course (plus it was interesting).

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search