MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Earth Sci 2gg3 with Sonnenburg mcmaster12 Academics 7 09-15-2010 01:06 PM
Selling: Earth Science 2GG3 book Ruggedman Academics 3 01-14-2010 10:08 PM
Earth Science 2GG3: Natural Disaters blahishness Academics 14 12-27-2009 03:56 PM

Geog/Earth Sci 2GG3 midterm

Old 10-15-2010 at 11:10 AM   #1
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Geog/Earth Sci 2GG3 midterm
There is a lot of backlash on Avenue about this midterm, which I pretty much agree with 100%. I was wondering if anyone on here had anything to say about it. I'm not brave enough to bash the midterm on Avenue with my full name in view of the prof :/
Old 10-15-2010 at 11:14 AM   #2
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

You're not brave enough to comment on how you thought a midterm was unfair? (or w/e reason it is)

What's he gonna do, expel you? Come on now.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Rakim likes this.
Old 10-15-2010 at 01:02 PM   #3
sycoman

Liked: 9 Times

I took this course last year with Dr. Lopez and I can just tell you what a nightmare it was. There were a million people on ELM last year hating on the prof because of the exam.

Whats happening this year? Why is there backlash?
Old 10-15-2010 at 01:17 PM   #4
doug

Liked: 82 Times

I understand where all the anger and backlash is coming from.

I spent hours studying for this midterm and still felt incredibly lost on a lot of questions. Hell, sometimes I felt like the stuff in a question was new to me. I attended every lecture and did the readings along with it.

I mean, I already know I'm going to poorly on this midterm and I guess I'm more looking on the bright side; the midterm is worth 25% and the quizzes are worth 20%. So I feel like if I do extremely well on the quizzes it can balance out the poor midterm.

Then again there may also be some changes in the marking, I mean, if the whole class felt like it was unfair there might be something wrong...
Old 10-15-2010 at 02:46 PM   #5
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Everything she said about the midterm was misleading. Her attitude about it and everything was totally misleading.

I like how she said that all the mdterm questions came from the same question bank as the online quizes. It really doesn't matter because you cant compare a midterm and an online quiz that students do at home and most likely with their friends. Which is a good thing because many will need the 20% from those quizes after this midterm.
Old 10-15-2010 at 02:56 PM   #6
Kathy2
Elite Member

I agree! I went to every lecture and I studied SO hard, but it was pointless. There were questions on the midterm where I thought "Yes! I know this!", but then I looked at the multiple choice answers and I was like "..What??"
I hope she fixes this, it's pretty messy. I've never seen so many people compain so much on WebCT/ELM/Avenue. They are pretty pissed. She made a post on Avenue too that basically said "Too bad".

It's funny, because I took this class with Dr. Riller when I was in second year, and there were similar problems. Tons of people (including myself) dropped the course after the midterm because it was so messed up, just like this one. I actually really like the course, I hope I don't have to drop it. I'm curious to see what she does once the tests are done being graded. There's no way that the class average is very good, if it's even a pass. I wonder if she will write another test for us to take, or put the marks elsewhere?

Also, did anybody write in MDCL 1305? We didn't even get into the room and start writing until like 2:45pm. We were allowed to have the full 50 minutes and write past 3:20pm, but what about people who had classes/midterms at that time?
Old 10-15-2010 at 03:35 PM   #7
sf

Liked: 36 Times

I took this class last year first semester with Dr.Riller and there were issues with the quizzes and exam that sounds pretty much exactly like what you are talking about. It was completely unfair and people ended up with much lower marks than they should have.
I have the prof for another class and instead of a midterm we have online quizes and so far they have been pretty easy with the occasional question about thing that we didnt learn. I wonder if she has been instructed to make the midterm that hard so that people will realize that it isnt a bird course. If it has been like this for the past few semesters it is probably not something she has comeplete control on since I believe she is only a sssional prof. Either way that sucks but there really isnt anything you can do.
Old 10-15-2010 at 03:43 PM   #8
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Thank god i didnt decide to take this class
Old 10-15-2010 at 04:10 PM   #9
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I agree! I went to every lecture and I studied SO hard, but it was pointless. There were questions on the midterm where I thought "Yes! I know this!", but then I looked at the multiple choice answers and I was like "..What??"
I hope she fixes this, it's pretty messy. I've never seen so many people compain so much on WebCT/ELM/Avenue. They are pretty pissed. She made a post on Avenue too that basically said "Too bad".

It's funny, because I took this class with Dr. Riller when I was in second year, and there were similar problems. Tons of people (including myself) dropped the course after the midterm because it was so messed up, just like this one. I actually really like the course, I hope I don't have to drop it. I'm curious to see what she does once the tests are done being graded. There's no way that the class average is very good, if it's even a pass. I wonder if she will write another test for us to take, or put the marks elsewhere?

Also, did anybody write in MDCL 1305? We didn't even get into the room and start writing until like 2:45pm. We were allowed to have the full 50 minutes and write past 3:20pm, but what about people who had classes/midterms at that time?

I wrote in 1305. She should have come there before the students and let us know to wait outside or told us in class or on avenue, instead of letting us all come in then kicking us out. Shes not very organized. Maybe some students find her amusing, but after 4 years I've become irritated by profs who can't do something simple as setting up a class for a midterm.

Rakim likes this.
Old 10-15-2010 at 04:15 PM   #10
sf

She was teaching class right before your midterm, she actually left the class early to set up, so in her denense that would make it challening. completely agree its frustrating to be writing a test and have it go overtime and not be very organized...happened to me today.
Old 10-15-2010 at 05:35 PM   #11
Kathy2
Elite Member

I don't see how she still got there after 2:30pm if she left her previous class early? And she said we could stay over time to get our full 50 minutes and the next class in the room would just have to wait, but what if they had a midterm? :/
The whole thing was very disorganized and frustrating.
Old 10-15-2010 at 07:08 PM   #12
sf

Was there just one room for writing or two? Because if there was two maybe something happened that slowed down things in the other room...I know I have had several midterms start late because there was a class in the room before and by the time the previous people left and the midterm was set up it was already after when we were supposed to have started. It definitely is frustrating though being the ones delayed when writing and as the class after the midterm.
Old 10-15-2010 at 11:27 PM   #13
Kathy2
Elite Member

There were people writing in a bunch of rooms. There was a class in 1305 before us, but we got in by like 2:25pm. The prof didn't arrive until after we were all sitting down.
Old 10-15-2010 at 11:36 PM   #14
sf

Then I would assume you guys were the last room she went to which is probably why she was late. That definitely is bad luck being in the room the prof goes to last. That's why I like small classes where everyone writes in the same room.
Old 10-16-2010 at 03:54 PM   #15
Kathy2
Elite Member

I agree, I hate being slipt up for midterms. Especially in the winter, when you have to wait out in the cold outside of T28 and T29. That's the worst.