Professor Rating
90%90%90%
Interest
100%100%100%
Easiness
100%100%100%
Average 95%
Geography 2RC3

This course deal pretty much deals with the whole geography of Canada. You learn about the physical, climate, human and regions of Canada (and among other things). Dr. Walter Peace taught this course and he is a pretty good prof (if I do say so myself). I found this course quite interesting and some became a review from geography courses I took in high school.

The first part of the course is learning about the physical and climatic region of Canada. You learn different physical region of Canada such as the Canadian shield, the Western Cordillera and others. The next will be the climate regions of Canada and afterwards the first people that settle in Canada. So pretty much you learn the history of Canada and how it became a country.

The second part is different themes in Canada's geography. You learn about the social and demographic trend, the economic geography, the aboriginal people and other things. Afterwards Dr. Peace explains things that introduces the different regions of Canada

The third part is going over the different regions of Canada such as the Atlantic Canada, Western Canada, Industrial Heartland, etc. He goes over the history, physical, human, economic, etc. of each region.

The marking scheme is based on three things:
25% - Midterm
25% - Assignment
50% - Final

The assignment for this class is very straightforward. This year is about whether a urban/rural faultline exist in Canada. You have to find evidence whether such faultline exist. This is quite a short paper and quite easy to do. You learn about faultlines in class before doing the actual paper

The midterm and final are all multiple choice about the course material so it's pretty easy.

The textbook is quite useful in this course and Dr. Peace always refers to them in lectures. Materials from the textbook also appeared on the exam, so it is recommended you do the readings.

Overall this course is interesting and it is the course that has the lightest workload I've had than my other courses. The course is somewhat difficult but not too difficult and I recommend this to anyone interested in Canadian Geography
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Geography 2RC3!

Old 12-15-2011 at 11:52 PM   #2
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times
I changed my rating. The one I entered was pretty low scoring
Old 12-17-2011 at 01:38 PM   #3
g.o.p.a.l
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times
If you attend the lectures and listen to what Dr Peace says, there is nothing stopping you from getting at least a 8 in this course without trying too hard. Try harder and you can get a 10-11. TBH the book was good but useless overall I felt since I never really read it that much. Its useful only for your assignment in practicality which btw is only a page and a half single space lol. When u double space goes to 3-5.
Old 12-17-2011 at 03:14 PM   #4
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.o.p.a.l View Post
If you attend the lectures and listen to what Dr Peace says, there is nothing stopping you from getting at least a 8 in this course without trying too hard. Try harder and you can get a 10-11. TBH the book was good but useless overall I felt since I never really read it that much. Its useful only for your assignment in practicality which btw is only a page and a half single space lol. When u double space goes to 3-5.
true, the assignment was quite short. it was 2-3 pages double space
TBH i hardly read the textbook and the only i did though was when I was working on the assignment and studying for the final but that was it.

Old 12-18-2011 at 12:37 PM   #5
g.o.p.a.l
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akikokoyoki View Post
true, the assignment was quite short. it was 2-3 pages double space
TBH i hardly read the textbook and the only i did though was when I was working on the assignment and studying for the final but that was it.
Exactly, so to anyone taking the course: find a way to get the textbook cheap or else your pretty much wasting your money. On that note, if your taking this course message me for the textbook as I am selling it.
Old 12-18-2011 at 09:54 PM   #6
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

me too. I'm planning on selling mine soon. Actually i bought my textbook from another student.
Old 12-20-2011 at 07:38 PM   #7
McUsed

Liked: 7 Times
Like my fellow posters, I as well took Geography of Canada in the Fall 2011 session. However, my ratings for this course may not be as generous. Here are some statistics:

Midterm (25% of final mark):

Of the 475 students who wrote the first and only midterm....

a total of 193 students or 41% of the class scored a mark in the 50-69% range.

only 91 students or 19% of the class received a mark of 80% and higher.

out of these 91 students, only 5 students or 1% of the class got a mark between 90-95% on the midterm.

no student got above 95% i.e. no student, out of a class of 475, got perfect on a multiple choice midterm, in a geography class about the country we live in, Canada.

average: 70.79%

Dr. Peace mentioned after the midterm that roughly 20% of the questions came from the textbook. if you neglected to read the chapters associated with the material (each chapter is about 40 or so pages) then chances are you will be guessing a handful of questions on the test.

Likewise for the exam, many questions appeared from the textbook. (here's a hint: know your acronyms and make sure to remember irrelevent years and details). if you want to do well, then i would suggest reading each chapter covered in the exam.

regarding the assignment...
basically don't expect your mark to be bumped up drastically. most people i knew got between 60-85%.

finally, if you are in your final year, dr. peace said in lecture that about 169 students who were taking this course were in their graduating year. i'm sure most of these students regretted taking this course and so, i would recommend to stay away from this course and don't come in here thinking that you are guaranteed a double digit or that this course will help bring up your cummulative GPA. i mean, if you are genuinely interested in the geography of canada, or don't mind a single digit grade, then sure, go ahead and take it.
Old 12-20-2011 at 09:45 PM   #8
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by McUsed View Post
Like my fellow posters, I as well took Geography of Canada in the Fall 2011 session. However, my ratings for this course may not be as generous. Here are some statistics:

Midterm (25% of final mark):

Of the 475 students who wrote the first and only midterm....

a total of 193 students or 41% of the class scored a mark in the 50-69% range.

only 91 students or 19% of the class received a mark of 80% and higher.

out of these 91 students, only 5 students or 1% of the class got a mark between 90-95% on the midterm.

no student got above 95% i.e. no student, out of a class of 475, got perfect on a multiple choice midterm, in a geography class about the country we live in, Canada.

average: 70.79%

Dr. Peace mentioned after the midterm that roughly 20% of the questions came from the textbook. if you neglected to read the chapters associated with the material (each chapter is about 40 or so pages) then chances are you will be guessing a handful of questions on the test.

Likewise for the exam, many questions appeared from the textbook. (here's a hint: know your acronyms and make sure to remember irrelevent years and details). if you want to do well, then i would suggest reading each chapter covered in the exam.

regarding the assignment...
basically don't expect your mark to be bumped up drastically. most people i knew got between 60-85%.

finally, if you are in your final year, dr. peace said in lecture that about 169 students who were taking this course were in their graduating year. i'm sure most of these students regretted taking this course and so, i would recommend to stay away from this course and don't come in here thinking that you are guaranteed a double digit or that this course will help bring up your cummulative GPA. i mean, if you are genuinely interested in the geography of canada, or don't mind a single digit grade, then sure, go ahead and take it.
I'm one of those 41% people who got 50-69% on the midterm. I'm pretty much hoping for a B in this course, but I don't know if it's going to happen.
Old 12-10-2012 at 08:04 PM   #9
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times
I heard the prof doesn't post notes on Avenue for this course, is that true?
Old 12-11-2012 at 12:15 AM   #10
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer21 View Post
I heard the prof doesn't post notes on Avenue for this course, is that true?
yup that's true. You literary have to copy the notes he has on the slides.
Old 12-12-2012 at 02:04 PM   #11
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times
Ah ok, always fun
Old 01-07-2013
Cadillax
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 01-08-2013
Warren VS
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 01-10-2013 at 03:37 PM   #12
Sultan

Liked: 3 Times
Out of curiosity, why did people do so poorly on the midterm? Is his testing style hard or is it one of those courses no body bothered to put effort in?
Old 01-11-2013 at 10:46 PM   #13
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sultan View Post
Out of curiosity, why did people do so poorly on the midterm? Is his testing style hard or is it one of those courses no body bothered to put effort in?
his testing style is not hard. It's all multiple choice actually. It's more like nobody bothered to put effort in it. I guess I'm one of those people...

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search