MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
German 1Z06 Ownaginatios 1st Year Course Reviews 10 02-26-2014 07:32 PM
TRADE FRENCH 1Z06 for SPANISH 1Z06 PLZZZ Liz.enriquez Academics 0 09-16-2010 05:57 PM
Chinese 1Z06 & Japanese 1Z06 wani Academics 2 08-14-2010 07:38 PM
French 1z06 and Spanish 1z06 (credit confusion) oli13 Academics 1 07-02-2010 04:48 PM
German 1Z06 Summer Class EasternHeat First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 05-04-2010 04:19 PM

German 1Z06 - Options

Old 03-06-2011 at 11:25 PM   #1
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

German 1Z06 - Options
So they stopped offering this course in the summer when I decided I wanted to take it... Thanks McMaster.

Anyways, moving on: I think my only option (I'm from Brantford) is to take it online from Athabasca. They offer two courses, each McMaster 3 Credit equivalents. From what I understand about 1Z06, it does not get you into a conversation... You can form basic strings of words, but that's about it. And that is what German 202 sounds like, from Athabasca.

German 203 is a second course, also 3 Credits, that is another offering from Athabasca, which is not listed on this list from Mac: http://neva.mcmaster.ca/lop/equiv2.p...UN IVERSITIES
The 203 Course sounds relatively more intense, with the following objectives:
  1. express yourself in written German using the concepts and vocabulary presented in German 203.
  2. read and understand German texts at a similar level of difficulty to those in the course.
  3. speak in German using the vocabulary and language structures presented in the course.
  4. understand German used in everyday situations when spoken at a moderate speed (http://www.athabascau.ca/courses/ger...bjectives.htm)
I'm wondering: Is the 202 course likely going to be enough for me to move into German 2Z03 next year? I've heard 2Z03 is not a cake walk by any means, and frankly, I need something that isn't going to be a massive burden. How about German 1B03? Does the Athabasca course sound like it would satisfactorily lead into that?

I realize this thread will likely be quiet until someone who has taken those courses, is able to respond.
Old 03-06-2011 at 11:58 PM   #2
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
I've heard 2Z03 is not a cake walk by any means, and frankly, I need something that isn't going to be a massive burden. How about German 1B03? Does the Athabasca course sound like it would satisfactorily lead into that?
Oh I beg to differ my good sir. I took that course in second year along with 6 other courses (ya, that's right - I overloaded like a boss).

It was pretty damn easy - got an 11. The only thing that was really annoying about it was this 15 minute presentation we had to do at the end (it was only hard because one of my partners was a massive douchebag who thought he was the shit for taking French, German and Japanese at the same time).

It's one of those courses where the pace is so slow, that if it were going at a normal pace - it could be done in a week.

Also, I'm pretty sure German 1B03 and 2Z03 are the same course listed under different course codes. If you have no prior German experience, you pretty much need to take German 1Z06 or something equivalent to it somewhere else.

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 03-07-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-07-2011 at 12:19 AM   #3
mike_302
Elite Member

That's where I'm not sure about the German 202 course from Athabasca. Is it going to be enough to do 2Z03 after? Also, I'm not 100% sure on 1B03 and 2Z03 being the same course... I know 2Z03 lists 1BB3 as an anti-requisite... Doesn't say 1B03 though.
Old 03-07-2011 at 12:29 AM   #4
mike_302
Elite Member

aaannnnd I need sleep. Here I am typing in my search terms as thread posts.