MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Full Course....??!! giddz Academics 1 08-30-2010 12:35 PM
Why is MUGSI full? Lol MacAttk Academics 7 08-10-2010 05:12 PM
All Labs Full ??? Ruggedman Academics 2 08-21-2009 06:52 PM
full registared guessme First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-14-2009 10:44 AM
Getting into a full course... Wolf11 Academics 1 09-07-2008 12:11 AM

Getting Into a Full Course

Old 12-20-2010 at 09:14 AM   #16
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watoko View Post
And how did you find 1AA3?
I twelved it. It wasn't that bad.
Old 12-20-2010 at 12:28 PM   #17
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

A lot of people are suggesting that you email someone about this - DON'T. The prof can't help you get into a full course, and everyone else will ignore your email. Keep trying for the rest of the holiday break. When we go back to school, if a spot still hasn't opened up, go to the department secretary. Tell her your situation: you need to get into the course for your second year program, you have been trying all break, and the course is still full. They will most likely open a spot for you.(There are always reserve spots for situations like this)
Trust me, I've gotten in many courses this way. This is how I got into 3 of my 5 courses this term.

Watoko says thanks to Kathy2 for this post.
Old 12-20-2010 at 03:35 PM   #18
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
A lot of people are suggesting that you email someone about this - DON'T. The prof can't help you get into a full course, and everyone else will ignore your email. Keep trying for the rest of the holiday break. When we go back to school, if a spot still hasn't opened up, go to the department secretary. Tell her your situation: you need to get into the course for your second year program, you have been trying all break, and the course is still full. They will most likely open a spot for you.(There are always reserve spots for situations like this)
Trust me, I've gotten in many courses this way. This is how I got into 3 of my 5 courses this term.
The original poster can still email the secretary. It's normally the program's name @mcmaster.ca. I did this to get into a course that I wanted (and was kind of necessary for my degree). I wrote down why I wanted to take the course, that I was in the program, and which tutorial I wanted. I received an email back that day saying that I was in.

If anything, I'd want to get this resolved now instead of waiting till later. If no one drops the course (and if it's a required course for a program, that's pretty likely), then even reserved spots might fill up. Better to get in now then find out it's too late.

Watoko says thanks to AlienSummer for this post.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 12-20-2010 at 06:01 PM   #19
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 12-20-2010 at 06:23 PM   #20
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienSummer View Post
The original poster can still email the secretary. It's normally the program's name @mcmaster.ca. I did this to get into a course that I wanted (and was kind of necessary for my degree). I wrote down why I wanted to take the course, that I was in the program, and which tutorial I wanted. I received an email back that day saying that I was in.

If anything, I'd want to get this resolved now instead of waiting till later. If no one drops the course (and if it's a required course for a program, that's pretty likely), then even reserved spots might fill up. Better to get in now then find out it's too late.
I suggest not emailing anyone because more often than not, you will be ignored. I guess it doesn't hurt to try, but I've never gotten an answer that way. I think if they were to email/call/go in to the office now, the answer they will get from the secretary will be "Come back after the break, someone might drop the course over the next few weeks". Usually when I'm trying to get into a full course, the secretary makes me wait until the official "Drop and Add period" (which is the first 2 weeks of the course). If I tried to get into a fall course in the middle of August or a winter course in November, they would just ask me to come back later
Old 12-20-2010 at 06:31 PM   #21
Pay919

Liked: 57 Times

I also took math 1LS3 and then took math 1AA3.
It's not too bad of a transition since 1LS3 teaches you most of what you need to know to go into 1AA3. When I took it there was only one thing I had to teach myself that wasn't taught in 1LS3, and it was quite simple.
If you got an 11 or a 12 without much effort, then I'd recommend taking 1AA3
Old 12-20-2010 at 06:33 PM   #22
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I suggest not emailing anyone because more often than not, you will be ignored. I guess it doesn't hurt to try, but I've never gotten an answer that way. I think if they were to email/call/go in to the office now, the answer they will get from the secretary will be "Come back after the break, someone might drop the course over the next few weeks". Usually when I'm trying to get into a full course, the secretary makes me wait until the official "Drop and Add period" (which is the first 2 weeks of the course). If I tried to get into a fall course in the middle of August or a winter course in November, they would just ask me to come back later
I haven't had that problem. Maybe it depends on the program and secretary? Also, emailing them now about a course that starts in two weeks is different than emailing them two months ahead of time (like emailing about a course that starts in January in November). And it's not like emailing really takes that much effort, so if you get ignored/forgotten, it's really no big deal. But if you email and they deal with the situation right away, you don't have to worry about the problem all holiday. It just seems like a pretty easy thing to do that's not going to hurt anyone, but could fix this.

Anyway, I'd email ahead of time. If they forget or ignore your email, then you can go in on January 3rd and ask.

Last edited by AlienSummer : 12-20-2010 at 06:37 PM.

Kathy2 likes this.