MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Odd forum behaviour jackiemac Computers & Tech 4 07-14-2010 07:49 PM
Another forum Jay B. Site Feedback & Suggestions 2 09-12-2009 05:19 PM
Forum Merge Chad MacInsiders Announcements 2 04-19-2008 09:08 PM

Where are the girls in this forum?

Members have rated post #323782 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 06-30-2012 at 11:07 PM   #1
XNtrikster

Liked: 6 Times

Where are the girls in this forum?
I've been reading through some of the threads here about gaming, and I'm just curious as to where are the girls are! So far from what I've seen (and can conclusively tell by many of the real names of posters given), girls are nearly nonexistentent here as the guys dominate. Not that that's a shock lmao, but what can you do? so to any girls who bother to come to this side, what is your opinion of gaming? Have you ever felt that you had to hide your interest in gaming to conform to any groups? What console(s) do you use, and what kind of games do you play? Whatever your thoughts and opinions, go ahead! And this isn't exclusive, guys, I'm curious to know what you think of girls, video games, and girls conforming in regards to video games as well. I'd just like to know what people here think!

Entropy likes this.
Old 06-30-2012 at 11:44 PM   #2
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNtrikster View Post
I'm curious to know what you think of girls
I like girls.

Quote:
I'm curious to know what you think of video games
I appreciate their existence and am quite fond of them.

Quote:
I'm curious to know what you think of girls conforming in regards to video games as well.
If I saw a good looking girl angrily yelling at Call of Duty, I would probably propose...

Old 06-30-2012 at 11:53 PM   #3
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

My girlfriend does yell angrily at BF3.
She yells at how pointless it is compared to how much time I spend playing it.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences

icecubz, Lulie, Vessi, XNtrikster like this.
Old 07-01-2012 at 01:25 AM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

I'm a GIRL (Guy IRL)

But there are some active female users on chat alot.

kaitotst, Silver, Vessi like this.
Old 07-01-2012 at 08:23 AM   #5
apples12

Liked: 91 Times

Vessi likes this.
Old 07-01-2012 at 11:04 AM   #6
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

reporting for duty! Because somehow this is post #6 and no ladies have.

most of my games are RPGs though, I don't like fps much at all.

Last edited by britb : 07-01-2012 at 11:13 AM.

XNtrikster says thanks to britb for this post.

Old 07-01-2012 at 01:51 PM   #7
XNtrikster

Liked: 6 Times

@Philipp31: LOL at your reply, but for the first two I meant it in the context of girls playing video games! However, I agree with your second point and your third point seems to sum it all up I think I'd enjoy Call of Duty because I like shooting games... But I'm not very fond of first person. If they every make an option for third person play, I'd run and buy it

@Rayine: another game I would've liked to have if I could play in third person and pointless? No, there is (almost) always a point! But I actually think it's better to get yelled at for playing a game the person thinks is pointless than to get flak for all the time you spend playing, which is what I get more of haha. What exactly does she find pointless about that game, if ya don't mind?

@Leeoku: however, by that I would think that they are not on chat chatting about gaming, now are they? This is one time I'd like to be wrong

And @britb: FINALLY! Another girl, cool! Yup, seems like the 6th post was the charm here, yet still not a surprise and what do you think of these (irrational) ideas that some have that video games aren't for girls or some girls keeping that hobby to themselves so as to avoid seeming "weird?" Because somehow that still happens

Thanks to all of you who have so far replied!
Old 07-01-2012 at 03:15 PM   #8
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
@Philipp31: LOL at your reply, but for the first two I meant it in the context of girls playing video games! However, I agree with your second point and your third point seems to sum it all up I think I'd enjoy Call of Duty because I like shooting games... But I'm not very fond of first person. If they every make an option for third person play, I'd run and buy it

@Rayine: another game I would've liked to have if I could play in third person and pointless? No, there is (almost) always a point! But I actually think it's better to get yelled at for playing a game the person thinks is pointless than to get flak for all the time you spend playing, which is what I get more of haha. What exactly does she find pointless about that game, if ya don't mind?

@Leeoku: however, by that I would think that they are not on chat chatting about gaming, now are they? This is one time I'd like to be wrong

And @britb: FINALLY! Another girl, cool! Yup, seems like the 6th post was the charm here, yet still not a surprise and what do you think of these (irrational) ideas that some have that video games aren't for girls or some girls keeping that hobby to themselves so as to avoid seeming "weird?" Because somehow that still happens

Thanks to all of you who have so far replied!
I think some games appeal to some girls more, but its a personality, not a gender issue. I'm not sure what all these girls are doing, because what is funnier than taking down a Colossus, essp if you get to use Argo?

Actually, it would be cool to see if strategies differed on average between girls and guys.

Umm... I use PS3 mostly now and used to have a GameboyAdv/Colour, N64 and PS2 I played a lot. We have a Wii ("The wii is for women and children!" lol'), but I only played a through a Fire Emblem (the second one with Ike... not sure which lol) and Twilight Princess on it... not a big fan of interactive gaming (though I once was an expert on Guitar Hero until it broke... Rock Band is fun but too easy, and their guitar is heavy and hurts my hands after a while). I've emulated PS1 and N64 on my laptop (all by myself ... including a hook up to my PS3 controller...)... which reminds me, i should get back into that. I would play on my computer, but I don't like the feeling my laptop keyboard gets when I'm on it for so long... all nasty and dirty (it has those shiny plastic keys). Plus I've had it since end of HS (battery doesn't hold any charge anymore), and I don't think its up for it these days.

The only reason I don't have gaming gurlz is because Im pretty introverted, and the friends I have are not really into gaming. Plus, most of my games are single player anyway, so i don't really need to seek out people to play with me.

I'd love to have a boyfriend who gets the references I make and things like that... oh well.

Last edited by britb : 07-01-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-01-2012 at 04:13 PM   #9
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Oh I didn't read OP through clearly. GAMER GIRLS. Dam that's a "rare breed". Gamer girls can be quite hot and studies have shown more "things" happen Try Maclanclub on campus you'll find more gamer girls. As on this forum, you get what you find =s

drpatel, XNtrikster like this.
Old 07-01-2012 at 05:31 PM   #10
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

relevant?

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 07-01-2012 at 05:40 PM   #11
Lulie

Liked: 18 Times

there are a lot of girls playing video games.... maybe more so in the US.
i play games to de-stress. im a SUPER casual gamer; i mostly play games for ppl that dont have time to play others: gw (cant wait for august ), LoL, and d3 .... wish i could be better/play more, but no time :(
ill play console games (wii, ps3) whenever im at my parent's house

um... opinion of gaming? i hate gamer culture sometimes. can be too ragey, too pervy (in terms of the ppl that IM-me in game once they see my username...), and sexist. however, i've met some really great ppl while playing.

in terms of hiding it? im mostly friends with nerds/gamers so its not a big deal
i do approach games differently from my guy friends though. i like lore/story over combat (i dont like initiating fights, will mostly play a support or long-ranged character)

XNtrikster, Yogurt, yummy! like this.
Old 07-01-2012 at 05:43 PM   #12
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Just watching some of the presentations at E3 this year emphasized that a lot of video game publishers still aren't really taking their female audience seriously.

For example, Ubisoft's show.
Now, I love Ubisoft to bits and pieces. I live and breathe Assassins Creed, and Prince of Persia isn't too bad either. Their presentation at E3, however, didn't make me all that happy. They use fanservice towards their male audience very heavily; the just dance back up dancers were all female (in short-shorts, if I recall correctly), the female host was too fake and plastic in her attempt to sound like a "Gamergirl" by claiming that she plays shooters and doesn't play the lighter games, and farcry 3's trailer with its racy sex scene from the male POV shows once again that servicing the male audience is really important to ubisoft.

I don't consider myself a hardcore gamer by any means; just a casual gamer at best. I do own an xbox, which I pretty much bought only to play assassins creed. FPSs really aren't my thing. Keeping that in mind, I know that I'm not part of the huge niche that most video game publishers profit from. But I just wish that publishers could be a little more conscious towards female gamers, on a deeper level, not just on a superficial level like "OH LOOK WE HAVE A FEMALE HOST WHO PLAYS SPLINTER CELL LOLZ. now the girls won't compain about sexism!!!111"

Faer, XNtrikster all say thanks to anon491 for this post.

Old 07-01-2012 at 05:52 PM   #13
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post

relevant?

I guess there are lots of videos related to this. I think the missing variable here is "balance". People need to learn how to balance their daily activities.

EDIT: if the videos are not showing, here they are:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf9IQ6Te6ss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej4Ru...feature=relmfu
Old 07-01-2012 at 06:35 PM   #14
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
I guess there are lots of videos related to this. I think the missing variable here is "balance". People need to learn how to balance their daily activities.
That's good advice, but also don't date girls who look at your hobbies as a crutch. Best case scenario would be dating someone who has a good common ground of interests. I'm not saying find someone who's more or less a clone of yourself, but at least enough that you don't stick to doing things apart.

EDIT: I almost forgot. If you see someone walking in the room with a baseball bat in hand like that, and they aren't a basseball player, chances are, it's going be used.

EDIT x 2: I took out the embedded YouTube link because it really hurts to have that much on one page.

Last edited by justinsftw : 07-02-2012 at 12:05 AM.

drpatel, jim1 like this.
Old 07-01-2012 at 06:44 PM   #15
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

"some girls keeping that hobby to themselves so as to avoid seeming "weird?"

There are girls who do that? How sad :( I game, and a lot of my close girl friends game. Obviously more guys I know game than girls, but it's not something I ever considered "male-only". Never had an issue with it, another than ******* guys who assume you are either bad or not a serious gamer because you are female. That gets irritating.