MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Odd forum behaviour jackiemac Computers & Tech 4 07-14-2010 07:49 PM
Another forum Jay B. Site Feedback & Suggestions 2 09-12-2009 05:19 PM
Forum Merge Chad MacInsiders Announcements 2 04-19-2008 09:08 PM

Where are the girls in this forum?

Members have rated post #323782 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 07-01-2012 at 10:29 PM   #16
XNtrikster

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
I think some games appeal to some girls more, but its a personality, not a gender issue. I'm not sure what all these girls are doing, because what is funnier than taking down a Colossus, essp if you get to use Argo?

Actually, it would be cool to see if strategies differed on average between girls and guys.

Umm... I use PS3 mostly now and used to have a GameboyAdv/Colour, N64 and PS2 I played a lot. We have a Wii ("The wii is for women and children!" lol'), but I only played a through a Fire Emblem (the second one with Ike... not sure which lol) and Twilight Princess on it... not a big fan of interactive gaming (though I once was an expert on Guitar Hero until it broke... Rock Band is fun but too easy, and their guitar is heavy and hurts my hands after a while). I've emulated PS1 and N64 on my laptop (all by myself ... including a hook up to my PS3 controller...)... which reminds me, i should get back into that. I would play on my computer, but I don't like the feeling my laptop keyboard gets when I'm on it for so long... all nasty and dirty (it has those shiny plastic keys). Plus I've had it since end of HS (battery doesn't hold any charge anymore), and I don't think its up for it these days.

The only reason I don't have gaming gurlz is because Im pretty introverted, and the friends I have are not really into gaming. Plus, most of my games are single player anyway, so i don't really need to seek out people to play with me.

I'd love to have a boyfriend who gets the references I make and things like that... oh well.
I agree with you that this is about personality thing, but I think that there also is some sort of gender spect that's also pretty influenced by society. That, and the fact that until now, I have not seen many other girls at all around here on this part of MI.

And it's true that wii is the "women and children's console" lol. Most of the games are "family friendly" and mostly have ESRB ratings at E. Not many in comparison that are T or M. I also currently have my ps3 (bought it myself so I'm not obliged to share with my siblings), had a ps2, and before that had an n64. I'm very introverted myself, and although I do have a couple friends I can enjoy gaming with, they are not very many. Also, most of my games are single player as well so I enjoy a lot of my "me time" or time where I don't feel like I could be bothered with others that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
Oh I didn't read OP through clearly. GAMER GIRLS. Dam that's a "rare breed". Gamer girls can be quite hot and studies have shown more "things" happen Try Maclanclub on campus you'll find more gamer girls. As on this forum, you get what you find =s
Haha what you're making me curious to know now is what kind of studies, and what kinds of "things" and thanks, I'll keep a mental note of the maclanclub and the fact that I shouldn't get my hopes too high here, but hey, a few girls have shown up and that counts for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulie View Post
there are a lot of girls playing video games.... maybe more so in the US.
i play games to de-stress. im a SUPER casual gamer; i mostly play games for ppl that dont have time to play others: gw (cant wait for august ), LoL, and d3 .... wish i could be better/play more, but no time :(
ill play console games (wii, ps3) whenever im at my parent's house

um... opinion of gaming? i hate gamer culture sometimes. can be too ragey, too pervy (in terms of the ppl that IM-me in game once they see my username...), and sexist. however, i've met some really great ppl while playing.

in terms of hiding it? im mostly friends with nerds/gamers so its not a big deal
i do approach games differently from my guy friends though. i like lore/story over combat (i dont like initiating fights, will mostly play a support or long-ranged character)
I don't usually play over the online networks for those reasons and for the fact that I've simply almost never felt inclined to. And I also place high importance on the storylines of games, but I do like combat! So I like some of everything, which extends to my pleasure in playing games of almost any genre.

It's good to know that because of your group of friends you never had to feel like you had to hide this as a hobby. Do you think you would have otherwise, or would you still stick to your guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post

relevant?
It's girls like them who sometimes make me ashamed for girls in this regard... If maybe they bothered to join in and play for once instead of yell, complain, and then come to destroying their boyfriends' consoles, then maybe, just maybe, they'd see that they are so worth the 10 hours in a day but nope, they had to go destroy them! Who knows if those guys stayed with them after that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
"some girls keeping that hobby to themselves so as to avoid seeming "weird?"

There are girls who do that? How sad :( I game, and a lot of my close girl friends game. Obviously more guys I know game than girls, but it's not something I ever considered "male-only". Never had an issue with it, another than ******* guys who assume you are either bad or not a serious gamer because you are female. That gets irritating.
Yeah, there really are girls like that. I knew a couple. A lot of my closer girl friends also game as well, it's just that there are only a few of them who I can actually enjoy it with. And because I've been playing games since I was 6, I never considered them as a "male-only" thing either. I only began to realize people thought that way at first throughout my years in school, and then on a couple occasions when I'd be at the store buying my games.

I vividly recall in class on a few occasions when a random discussion about video games would come up, and some girl would say "video games are for guys" or "what kind of girl plays video games?" I've also seen some other ones roll their eyes upon hearing the discussion, although I'm quite sure none of them have ever turned the console on or bothered to hold the controller. And then of course were the particular occasions when I bought my ps3 and my games. For some reason, it became automatically assumed that I was buying that stuff for my brother or my "boyfriend," as most girls who set foot in those stores or departments to buy for the guys and not themsleves. And I've also been asked if I "needed help with anything" almost as if I wasn't shopping for myself or if I was looking for the hanna montana game or something -_-

Last edited by Leeoku : 07-01-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 07-02-2012 at 12:01 AM   #17
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Study
http://sighroll.com/a-great-reason-f...ake-up-gaming/
The original study I read was 38% more to non gamers but I guess they solidified it down to 5% more overall =s.

Last edited by Leeoku : 07-02-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old 07-02-2012 at 12:09 AM   #18
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
I'd love to have a boyfriend who gets the references I make and things like that... oh well.
Are you implying your current boyfriend doesn't get your references, or that you're single and looking? :D

Either way, I suspect the problem is that you're either too picky or not trying hard enough, because there certainly isn't a shortage of single, male gamers.
Old 07-02-2012 at 12:19 AM   #19
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Are you implying your current boyfriend doesn't get your references, or that you're single and looking?

Either way, I suspect the problem is that you're either too picky or not trying hard enough, because there certainly isn't a shortage of single, male gamers.
1. Single. :/
2. Not outrageously picky... I mean I have things I like and things I dont, but I'm not a nasty person to just drop someone right there... probably because
3....but not really trying either. irl I find it almost impossible to talk to someone I dont know, i.e. start a conversation. Almost crippling, really.

Last edited by britb : 07-02-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old 07-02-2012 at 12:28 AM   #20
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNtrikster View Post
I agree with you that this is about personality thing, but I think that there also is some sort of gender spect that's also pretty influenced by society. That, and the fact that until now, I have not seen many other girls at all around here on this part of MI.

And it's true that wii is the "women and children's console" lol. Most of the games are "family friendly" and mostly have ESRB ratings at E. Not many in comparison that are T or M. I also currently have my ps3 (bought it myself so I'm not obliged to share with my siblings), had a ps2, and before that had an n64. I'm very introverted myself, and although I do have a couple friends I can enjoy gaming with, they are not very many. Also, most of my games are single player as well so I enjoy a lot of my "me time" or time where I don't feel like I could be bothered with others that way.

Haha what you're making me curious to know now is what kind of studies, and what kinds of "things" and thanks, I'll keep a mental note of the maclanclub and the fact that I shouldn't get my hopes too high here, but hey, a few girls have shown up and that counts for me!

I don't usually play over the online networks for those reasons and for the fact that I've simply almost never felt inclined to. And I also place high importance on the storylines of games, but I do like combat! So I like some of everything, which extends to my pleasure in playing games of almost any genre.

It's good to know that because of your group of friends you never had to feel like you had to hide this as a hobby. Do you think you would have otherwise, or would you still stick to your guns?

It's girls like them who sometimes make me ashamed for girls in this regard... If maybe they bothered to join in and play for once instead of yell, complain, and then come to destroying their boyfriends' consoles, then maybe, just maybe, they'd see that they are so worth the 10 hours in a day but nope, they had to go destroy them! Who knows if those guys stayed with them after that...

Yeah, there really are girls like that. I knew a couple. A lot of my closer girl friends also game as well, it's just that there are only a few of them who I can actually enjoy it with. And because I've been playing games since I was 6, I never considered them as a "male-only" thing either. I only began to realize people thought that way at first throughout my years in school, and then on a couple occasions when I'd be at the store buying my games.

I vividly recall in class on a few occasions when a random discussion about video games would come up, and some girl would say "video games are for guys" or "what kind of girl plays video games?" I've also seen some other ones roll their eyes upon hearing the discussion, although I'm quite sure none of them have ever turned the console on or bothered to hold the controller. And then of course were the particular occasions when I bought my ps3 and my games. For some reason, it became automatically assumed that I was buying that stuff for my brother or my "boyfriend," as most girls who set foot in those stores or departments to buy for the guys and not themsleves. And I've also been asked if I "needed help with anything" almost as if I wasn't shopping for myself or if I was looking for the hanna montana game or something -_-
Society is in there too. Don't forget its not just girls who sometimes react negatively, but male gamers as well. "boobies or GTFO" "Good, we need a Healer (the girl role)" Not that it would bother me, if I was into that sort of coop play.

Those girl saying video games are for guys are probably the same ones who think male nurses are gay, etc etc.

I've never run into anyone at the store saying anything like that except maybe (oh this is a good game, etc)... probably because I'm too awkward to get into a real conversation with a salesperson or whatever. I get "need help with anything," but that's just a standard thing, I hear that everywhere.
Old 07-02-2012 at 12:43 AM   #21
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulie View Post
...gw (cant wait for august )...
The highest of fives!

Two more months! We should form a MI Guild Wars 2 group (sadly, only a few of my IRL friends play/intend to play Guild Wars).

Also, even as a guy, "gamer culture" pisses me off. The large majority gaming industry markets to guys and objectifies women in doing so. And a female on voice chat will be harassed as if they're going out of fashion.

EDIT:
Also also, I agree with your views on plot. I really can't stand no-brainer games. I wouldn't say this is breaking stereotypes, but as a guy, I can't stand hack-and-slashes or any game that's just pushing buttons, or simply for passing time. I really think that they're an insult to what games are, or can be.

At the very least, there needs to be a plot, or world building, character development, atmosphere created. I want to be touched, or feel loss, or attachment, or have my mind hacked at, or have my senses be overwhelmed and forget the real world, or deeply ponder the human condition. Some games are exceptions, like Team Fortress 2 or Tribes: Ascend (both of which consume the vast majority of my waking, and probably even sleeping, life) – but even then, they take skill and thought to be good at.

(Also also also, if you share my views and want some fantastic, beautiful games to play, check out Bastion, Mirror's Edge, Braid, and Trine).

Last edited by Yogurt : 07-02-2012 at 12:38 PM.

Lulie likes this.
Old 07-02-2012 at 01:01 AM   #22
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

True women are either sexually harassed or just hit on. Also female chars get free equips....
Old 07-02-2012 at 11:25 AM   #23
XNtrikster

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
Study
http://sighroll.com/a-great-reason-f...ake-up-gaming/
The original study I read was 38% more to non gamers but I guess they solidified it down to 5% more overall =s.
OHHH now I know what study and what "things" lol. Interesting, never thought there could be any possible correlation between gamer girls and that... Now my questions would have to be "how?" And "why?"

And then when you connect that to what you said earlier about girls who enjoy their video games being a "rare breed," when taken in any old context whether it is here, the mac community, or in general (and each could be a possible representation of the next), I wonder what that would end up saying about us as well - if there is any real connection. Hmm...

To add to the bit with the "gamer culture" which pisses quite a few people off: not only is it portrayed in those booty-short clad girls irl, or the general harassment, etc... What about the fact it's so heavily included in the games themselves simply in their appearance? You'll find that many female characters who carry some sort of importance for the large part will probably have figures where waist-hip ratio is 0.7, if not very close: busty anywhere from "very" to "how the hell have you not fallen forward or thrown out your back yet;" have tiny waists; shapely hips that will either match the bust or be a bit smaller, but just about never larger; legs that appear long with small feet; and wearing clothes that if they obviously leave little to the imagination, will in some way or another make sure you have an idea of what's under there. And then their faces will always meet or exceed some beauty standard as well in their shape and proportion.

I don't mean to say that every single female character in every single game are like that, and their personality and actions also play a role into how they are portrayed (although it's not often where that's their saving grace either). And not that I'll go and boycott anything either, won't stop me from playing even though it would be nice to see some more realism in these characters that the male ones have the pleasure of catching a bit of a break on (even though the aesthetic standards on them can be pretty unreal as well)

Last edited by Leeoku : 07-02-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-02-2012 at 12:11 PM   #24
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

lols girls on the internet

who are u kidding

Entropy, lizziepizzie, Lulie like this.
Old 07-04-2012 at 02:53 PM   #25
Lulie

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogurt View Post
The highest of fives!

Two more months! We should form a MI Guild Wars 2 group (sadly, only a few of my IRL friends play/intend to play Guild Wars).

Also, even as a guy, "gamer culture" pisses me off. The large majority gaming industry markets to guys and objectifies women in doing so. And a female on voice chat will be harassed as if they're going out of fashion.

(Also also also, if you share my views and want some fantastic, beautiful games to play, check out Bastion, Mirror's Edge, Braid, and Trine).
i'd love to form an MI GW2 group! had some positive experiences with sharing my LoL account info on MI forums (one of the ppl that added me turned out to be my friend's roomate lol)

and aw, that's unfortunate. for me, im playing games to pass the time UNTIL GW2 comes out. main reason i started playing LoL 3 years ago

will totally check out your games this weekend! recently started playing TF2. yep, totally the exception to my preferences in games
Old 07-04-2012 at 03:07 PM   #26
Lulie

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNtrikster View Post

I don't usually play over the online networks for those reasons and for the fact that I've simply almost never felt inclined to.

totally understand where your coming from. i usually play video games "socially." its rare for me to pick up a single player game (except for zelda). for this reason, i'm used to dealing with idiots online... i guess I complain about the 'gamer' community because I've seen how nice ppl can be...

also, not sure i was being totally honest the first time i answered this question. i've never had to hide the fact that i like video games from my highschool friends and the uni friends i live with.... but i don't vocally tell new ppl i meet at uni that I play video games. its usually something they find out by accident. however, ive discovered that there isnt a reason to hide it (they generally find it endearing lol, or they make plans to play with me), but in the past, ive generally felt that video games as a hobby wouldnt be well received
Old 07-04-2012 at 03:19 PM   #27
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I'm a girl

tee hee

britb likes this.
Old 07-04-2012 at 08:32 PM   #28
alexithymia
I smell chips.

Liked: 47 Times

Opinion of gaming: something fun to pass the time.
I don't really consider myself a 'gamer' mostly cause I don't game very much (although probably more than the average girl). I also don't finish a lot of games I start for various reasons.
I have a N64 and Wii, used to have a SNES emulator on my old comp. I play games on Steam as well.
I don't really have a specific genre of games that I enjoy more than others, I'll play almost anything. I'll just make a list of games I've played: all the SSB, Mario Kart (64 and Wii), FZero, 007 Goldeneye, LoZ: a link to the past (unfinished), Chrono Trigger (unfinished but I was really close), Mario Party 8, Raving Rabbids, DDR, Portal, TF2, Binding of Isaac, Limbo (working on it...), and World of Goo. I think that's all. I'm still in the beginning of Half Life 2 and I have Tribes: Ascend and L4D2 downloaded.

EDIT: I forgot a few other games I started a game but am highly unlikely to ever finish: Demon's Souls, Metroid Corruption, and Windwaker. Oh, and I forgot I finished Mario Galaxy.

Last edited by alexithymia : 07-05-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-04-2012 at 10:03 PM   #29
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexithymia View Post
I don't really consider myself a 'gamer' mostly cause I don't game very much (although probably more than the average girl). I also don't finish a lot of games I start for various reasons.
I have a N64 and Wii, used to have a SNES emulator on my old comp. I play games on Steam as well.
I don't really have a specific genre of games that I enjoy more than others, I'll play almost anything. I'll just make a list of games I've played: all the SSB, Mario Kart (64 and Wii), FZero, 007 Goldeneye, LoZ: a link to the past (unfinished), Chrono Trigger (unfinished but I was really close), Mario Party 8, Raving Rabbids, DDR, Portal, TF2, Binding of Isaac, Limbo (working on it...), and World of Goo. I think that's all. I'm still in the beginning of Half Life 2 and I have Tribes: Ascend and L4D2 downloaded.
Raving Rabbids is aweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeesome

on topic: I don't really find gamerness is an attractice feature in a girl maybe im just losing interests in games though :/
Old 07-04-2012 at 10:30 PM   #30
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexithymia View Post
Tribes! I just started playing when it hit Steam. Great game. Man, I need practice. Capping is the one thing I can't seem to nail, and it doesn't help playing on a trackpad. PM me if you want to play together sometime (although I've heard that T:A's friend's implementation is horrible).