MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Don't be a n00b! jhan523 General Discussion 45 07-04-2009 01:03 AM
Graduate school admission question (easy question) Mac12 Academics 3 09-30-2008 06:27 PM

GO Bus N00B question.

Old 09-25-2009 at 10:13 PM   #16
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
The drivers are obligated to accept cash as long as the bill size is not unreasonable (ie $50's or $100's for a $10 ticket). If you are ever actually rejected by a driver, I would complain to GO Transit, because that is completely unreasonable. Remember, these are employees, not management. They don't have a right to turn away a paying customer.

It's even on their website that you can pay with cash, so there's no excuse for behaviour like that, none at all.

PS: I've been a regular GO bus user for 4 years now, including commuting regularly during 1st year. The drivers commonly will suggest that you buy a ticket in advance, but they really can't turn you away for it.
Exactly. If you have a reasonable sized bill (10s would be best) or exact change they shouldn't say anything but I actually had a driver be extremely rude to me last year for paying w/ a $10 on the bus for a ticket that is like $9.65.

Honestly some people are commuting may not actually have the time or money to purchase a ticket in advance sometimes. If they want a 10 ride or something and they don't have the money for it that day they may have to pay for it. I know when I used to take it on Friday to go home sometimes I only had enough for the one ride and I had straight classes all day and then wanted to boot it to terminal for the bus right after. I just didn't have the time to wait in line at Compass before going to the bus and I bought a $10 for a ride which is almost $10 so there should be no problem with. If I frequently encountered rudeness like that from drivers (I don't, most of them are so nice) I would be weary about using Go Transit and I would definitely complain. Money is money.
Old 10-22-2009 at 03:53 PM   #17
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

I have another really quick Go bus question. I've been told that I can take the go bus/train combination to get from hamilton to toronto faster, using the 01 Lakeshore west or something. I looked at their website, and it kinda confused me even more, especially where to transfer, bus numbers, train transfer, etc. Has anyone actually taken that route before that can tell me what to do? Thank you!
Old 10-22-2009 at 03:57 PM   #18
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
I have another really quick Go bus question. I've been told that I can take the go bus/train combination to get from hamilton to toronto faster, using the 01 Lakeshore west or something. I looked at their website, and it kinda confused me even more, especially where to transfer, bus numbers, train transfer, etc. Has anyone actually taken that route before that can tell me what to do? Thank you!
Someone would probably be able to help you easier if posted exactly where you from to leave from and go to, or do you not know?

If no one here can help you you should just call Go Transit and they will be able to tell you exactly what to do.

This is presumably what you're looking for though.

http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/...&p age=1&new=

That is the schedule for the Lakeshore West Go Train & Bus schedule.

So it looks like you get on either the 15 or 15A at McMaster (this bus stops at the middle section of the bus area by Mary Keyes), depending on which time you wish to leave. Then you get off at the indicated Go Station indicated in pink and you transfer to the train. So between Monday-Friday if you got on the 15A at say 16:10 (4:10) you'd get off at Burlington Go Station at 4:30 and get on the train at 4:45 and the train would take you to all the different Go Stations. If you're going to Union you'd get off the train at Union at 7:38 pm.

As mentioned below the time and date you are traveling may change this. Just look at the schedule and the times along the top and then the location on the side. You will either have to get off at Aldershot or Burlington Go depending on the time and day, but just look at the bus # and the pink and it will show you which station and which time to get on the train there.

One adult single-ride is $9.25, a day pass is $18.50 and this would allow you to go there and back obviously.

This is the fare calculator:
http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/...?New=#frc ity

You just show the bus driver your ticket and get on, this same ticket will be used on the train. With Go Trains though it works on the honour system. You buy the ticket and validating it in advance (the Go Bus driver would do this in your case by punching a hole in it or stamping it depending on the ticket), then they may or may not check. They may not check but if they do and you don't have a ticket there is a large fine. With the train though you just get on it and go, there is no one at the door to check tickets.

I've never actually taken this particular trip but I'm pretty sure that is how it would work. I've taken the train to Union station from one of the Go stations in Hamilton before but I've never started on the bus.

Last edited by sew12 : 10-22-2009 at 04:14 PM.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 10-22-2009 at 04:03 PM   #19
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

The date and time at which you want to travel is also important, since different routes run at different frequencies at different times.
Old 10-22-2009 at 04:05 PM   #20
anubhagat
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

http://gotransit.ca/publicroot/en/sc...&p age=1&new=

perhaps this is it, but it involves taking the bus from mcmaster to aldershot then transferring to a train that goes to union station.

overall it takes ~1 hr and 15 mins, but i think its easier to just go to the intersection at king and dundurn and catch the 16 QEW express to union.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to anubhagat for this post.

Taunton likes this.
Old 10-22-2009 at 04:08 PM   #21
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubhagat View Post

overall it takes ~1 hr and 15 mins, but i think its easier to just go to the intersection at king and dundurn and catch the 16 QEW express to union.
I'd have to agree. I have to go to Union when I take the train home for holidays, and the QEW express generally gets you there in ~45 minutes... it sounds like it's the fastest route.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to Taunton for this post.
Old 10-23-2009 at 12:11 PM   #22
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Someone would probably be able to help you easier if posted exactly where you from to leave from and go to, or do you not know?

If no one here can help you you should just call Go Transit and they will be able to tell you exactly what to do.

This is presumably what you're looking for though.

http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/...&p age=1&new=

That is the schedule for the Lakeshore West Go Train & Bus schedule.

So it looks like you get on either the 15 or 15A at McMaster (this bus stops at the middle section of the bus area by Mary Keyes), depending on which time you wish to leave. Then you get off at the indicated Go Station indicated in pink and you transfer to the train. So between Monday-Friday if you got on the 15A at say 16:10 (4:10) you'd get off at Burlington Go Station at 4:30 and get on the train at 4:45 and the train would take you to all the different Go Stations. If you're going to Union you'd get off the train at Union at 7:38 pm.

As mentioned below the time and date you are traveling may change this. Just look at the schedule and the times along the top and then the location on the side. You will either have to get off at Aldershot or Burlington Go depending on the time and day, but just look at the bus # and the pink and it will show you which station and which time to get on the train there.

One adult single-ride is $9.25, a day pass is $18.50 and this would allow you to go there and back obviously.

This is the fare calculator:
http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/...?New=#frc ity

You just show the bus driver your ticket and get on, this same ticket will be used on the train. With Go Trains though it works on the honour system. You buy the ticket and validating it in advance (the Go Bus driver would do this in your case by punching a hole in it or stamping it depending on the ticket), then they may or may not check. They may not check but if they do and you don't have a ticket there is a large fine. With the train though you just get on it and go, there is no one at the door to check tickets.

I've never actually taken this particular trip but I'm pretty sure that is how it would work. I've taken the train to Union station from one of the Go stations in Hamilton before but I've never started on the bus.
I actually didn't know where it would start. Thanks a ton!
I've been using the Hamilton Go bus QEW, but that takes me 3 hours to get home , including traffic and whatnot. And a lot of people take this route, and told me it's faster. So I'm planning to explore anyway, and see which one works. Thanks for your help though guys!