Golden Key Society thejason Clubs & Groups 2 10-02-2006 08:37 PM

Golden Key International Honour Society

Old 09-02-2009 at 09:52 PM   #61
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
You just had to use your math skills didn't you... Lol. Nicely explained though.
Well, given that one of my possible research areas is Mathematical Logic, I took the logical fallacy thing as a personal challenge.

To Greg: No hate...just stop taking those jabs. It's just plain rude.
Old 09-02-2009 at 09:54 PM   #62
Nosferatu

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsci View Post
It's hardly exclusive though. My envelope number was near the 900 mark. Not really worth it, unless they have awesome socials like every other week...
I wonder if those numbers on the envelope are in any particular order...
Old 09-02-2009 at 09:55 PM   #63
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
I wonder if those numbers on the envelope are in any particular order...
I'm curious as well...could be alphabetized, or by order of selection.

His point however, was that at least 900 people received such letters...so it's not very exclusive.
Old 09-02-2009 at 10:09 PM   #64
Nosferatu

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
I'm curious as well...could be alphabetized, or by order of selection.

His point however, was that at least 900 people received such letters...so it's not very exclusive.
I certainly agree that 15% of our student population of 20,000+ is not exclusive. And even though his point was that this society is not exclusive, I was more intrigued about the number on the envelope (which I had ignored completely until I read his post).

I don't think it is in alphabetical order. I'm too far down the alphabet to have a number in the 500 range.
Old 09-03-2009 at 02:09 AM   #65
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
I certainly agree that 15% of our student population of 20,000+ is not exclusive. And even though his point was that this society is not exclusive, I was more intrigued about the number on the envelope (which I had ignored completely until I read his post).

I don't think it is in alphabetical order. I'm too far down the alphabet to have a number in the 500 range.
Might be by faculty A 1-150, faculty B 151-250, faculty C 251-400, and faculty of science 401-900 lol.
Old 09-03-2009 at 04:15 AM   #66
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Well from my Personal viewpoint putting your GPA into a retail or sales or any minimum wage part time job that has nothing to do with your "career" or academics is slightly pompous.

Though on the other hand any co-op, research oppurtunity on or off campus or anything related to anything that is remotely close to a corporation, it would make sense to have a cGPA onboard, though I would highly prefer Dean's Honour Roll(Which is anything above 9.5) and for the interviewer to ask you what that is(which is rather likely) in the interview then say 11.3/12!

Atleast that's what my Uncle at Cumis told me(he interviewed/hired a few Mac Commerce students for summer jobs/internship thingies). The bigger corporations do care how you do in school because it is somewhat in their long term interest(for example if they want to retain you when you graduate!). However your corner Mom & Pop shop doesn't care.

So to provide a solution to the Epic Greg Vs Mike Debate I guess its alright to put your GPA in after the end of 2nd year for companies with capitalization of over $250,000 and a wage or Oppurtunity Cost Wage(Lol Using a random term which implies the oppurtunity cost of working part time in a big company with the potential for long term improvement or a massive boost to your resume) of over $9.50!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 09-03-2009 at 09:06 AM   #67
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
So to provide a solution to the Epic Greg Vs Mike Debate I guess its alright to put your GPA ...
Et tu Huzaifa? xD

I never said not to put it on...I'm not sure why everyone seems to think that's my stance on the issue. In fact all I was saying was that there's nothing wrong with throwing down Golden Key.

It's like saying "This ice cube is hotter than that burrito." Am I saying the ice cube is hot? No...I'm saying the burrito is pretty damn cold.