MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Golden Key News Goce Financial Aid 12 11-29-2009 12:49 AM
Golden Key International Honour Society feonateresa Financial Aid 66 09-03-2009 09:06 AM
Golden Key Society thejason Clubs & Groups 2 10-02-2006 08:37 PM

Golden Key Society

Old 08-26-2010 at 06:52 PM   #1
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Golden Key Society
So, last year I got a letter from the Golden Key Society, inviting me to join. It wasn't the first time I'd heard of them--I'd seen their table at clubsfest--but I wasn't really sure if it was worth the $90 membership fee, so I didn't join. Yesterday, I got another invitation to join, and I am now faced with the same question...is it actually worth the money? They say there are a bunch of scholarships offered, but what exactly do you have to do to get these scholarships? Are they easy or difficult to get? Are there any other solid advantages? When they're talking about all of the advantages in the letter, it seems pretty vague.

Anything anyone can tell me would be much appreciated! I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth my money
Old 08-26-2010 at 06:56 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I also got an invitation and I'm debating if I should join. So far I have come up with this:

Pro: Sounds like a good resume entry
Con: It's 90$

Yeah, I didn't think about it much... Lol
Old 08-26-2010 at 07:00 PM   #3
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Considering membership is based on academics, its probably not worth it other than for a resume. The scholarships are going to be extremely competitive.

Wasn't there a thread a while back? It was entertaining.
Old 08-26-2010 at 07:03 PM   #4
jade177

Liked: 8 Times

Honestly don't bother. I got a couple free desserts out of the like, ceremony for new members. That's it.
Old 08-26-2010 at 07:26 PM   #5
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Im trying to get internship next year so Im thinking of doing it just because itll look good. :-[
Old 08-26-2010 at 07:28 PM   #6
eleduc

Liked: 49 Times

I got the same thing both years. This year my letter came with a separate invitation from Patrick Dean congratulating me on coming in the top 15% and encouraging me to join. I was also a little thrown by the 90 dollar fee and it seemed a little hoaxish to me last year. This year I was a little more curious because of the accompaniment of presidential endorsement. I still don't really know what to think of it. Very vague.
Old 08-26-2010 at 07:33 PM   #7
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Dunno about you guys, but i just put invited to golden key society on my resume, but didn't actuall join. best of both worlds.

Equinox likes this.
Old 08-26-2010 at 07:35 PM   #8
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 256 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeM View Post
Dunno about you guys, but i just put invited to golden key society on my resume, but didn't actuall join. best of both worlds.
I didn't get invited and still did this. Awesome.
Old 08-26-2010
holagurrl
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-26-2010 at 07:40 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldier View Post
I didn't get invited and still did this. Awesome.
You could be asked to provide supporting documentation.
Old 08-26-2010 at 07:54 PM   #10
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

I believe I was in the 700s last year for the invite, this year I was in the 1600s!

Massive grade inflation!

Also, I would never pay like 90$ for this.
Old 08-26-2010 at 08:27 PM   #11
hellohello

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsci View Post
I believe I was in the 700s last year for the invite, this year I was in the 1600s!

Massive grade inflation!

Also, I would never pay like 90$ for this.
LOL?
It invites the to 15% of the students, not students above a certain grade point average. It doesn't imply grade inflation at all.

That the number is in the 1600s would mean that Mac's population grew that much or the standards had fallen (maybe it was top 10% or something last year), but that's some bad logic.
Old 08-26-2010 at 08:30 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohello View Post
LOL?
It invites the to 15% of the students, not students above a certain grade point average. It doesn't imply grade inflation at all.

That the number is in the 1600s would mean that Mac's population grew that much or the standards had fallen (maybe it was top 10% or something last year), but that's some bad logic.
Well, if the poster's average was the same for both years or even higher the second year then it would imply some sort of grade "inflation". Although it's not inflation in general, it's inflation relative to the poster. But I don't think that's what the poster meant.
Old 08-26-2010 at 08:55 PM   #13
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohello View Post
LOL?

Sorry, I was under the impression that invites are sent to people on the Dean's List.

In any case, I was surprised to see that they are sending way more invites this year.
Old 08-26-2010 at 08:57 PM   #14
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsci View Post
Sorry, I was under the impression that invites are sent to people on the Dean's List.

In any case, I was surprised to see that they are sending way more invites this year.
It's not necessarily more invites...you could just be further down on the list. We're not really sure how they are numbered, except that it's likely not alphabetical. Upper years might be lower on the list, or it could be based on academic standing or something.