MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does this notebook seem good based on the specs and is it a good price considering camelsrfun Computers & Tech 1 01-20-2013 10:22 PM
Open Mic in Hamilton area? n.m.c Music 2 09-04-2012 03:23 PM
what area in Hamilton is good for off-campus housing? twinrainbow First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 06-22-2012 06:44 PM
Microsoft upgrades Xbox Live with 40 entertainment services, live TV, and Kinect voic Chad Gaming 0 12-05-2011 03:33 AM

Is this a good area to live?

Old 10-10-2013 at 04:20 PM   #1
jrol

Liked: 3 Times

Is this a good area to live?
Right now I'm on the corner of Hess and Hunter W. I'm moving because I hate the building and area. The place that I'm leaning towards is on the corner of John St N and Brock St, right beside the HMCS Haida Site. The area seemed better to me, but I need opinions of people who actually know Hamilton.
Old 10-10-2013 at 04:44 PM   #2
oldviking

Liked: 18 Times

Hess and Hunter is close to downtown and bus routes. John Street North is further away, and will increase your bus travel times. The John Street North location is close to the water and waterfront attractions. This is good in the summer, or if you want to go boating. Unfortunately this location is exposed to the elements, which can get a bit nastier in the winter. The building has cheap rents. That has the disadvantage of attracting a certain stratum of clientele. You might be happier closer to the campus. A few dollars more in rent can easily be balanced off with convenience. How valuable to you is your time for studying?
Old 10-15-2013 at 07:06 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I live roughly in that area. Nothing major to worry about, its nearish to Burlington, which is nice, assuming you don't go too close to teh gross industrial areas. Yous got like 3 parks, 3-5 eateries... closest shopping is Jackson square though. You have a bus stop right along burlington, which gets you right to Jakckson. Commute difference time is about 20-30 minutes, accounting for waiting times. Only 10 minutes if you plan when you'll catch the bus, which, unfortunately doesn't matter, because the 4 is late a significant percentage of the time. Advise biking.
Old 10-15-2013 at 07:53 PM   #4
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 199 Times

Wasn't there a shoot out between some drug dealers in that area like 2 months ago?
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/40...reet-shooting/

Also there was this, a month ago:
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/40...n-tim-hortons/

Seems like a great place to live.

Last edited by MrPlinkett : 10-15-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-16-2013 at 07:48 AM   #5
oldviking

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlinkett View Post
Wasn't there a shoot out between some drug dealers in that area like 2 months ago?
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/40...reet-shooting/

Also there was this, a month ago:
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/40...n-tim-hortons/

Seems like a great place to live.
Those were in the area he says he wants to move out of!
Old 10-16-2013 at 09:57 AM   #6
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldviking View Post
Those were in the area he says he wants to move out of!
Oh, ok. Thanks for pointing that out.

West end of the shoreline is a nice area, but there's a rail road there.

Also I can't find any news on someone getting shot there, that's a plus.
Old 10-16-2013 at 07:14 PM   #7
jrol

Liked: 3 Times

Yeah that building that had the shooting was right across the street from me. Thanks for the help though.
Old 10-16-2013 at 07:18 PM   #8
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Is that an expensive area? I never noticed that before, I always though areas on the shore were only mostly shipping docks or something.