MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
summer school easy electives for term2? civil First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-23-2010 02:08 PM
summer school easy electives for term2? civil Academics 1 06-23-2010 11:32 AM
summer school easy electives for term2? civil Academics 0 06-23-2010 11:27 AM
Good electives for history? zunizoon Academics 19 06-04-2010 03:34 PM
Good Political Science Electives heavenlyspot General Discussion 2 07-13-2009 09:44 AM

Good electives in summer school

Old 03-09-2011 at 10:21 PM   #1
jcbr100

Liked: 0 Times

Good electives in summer school
I need to take 2 electives in the summer. I want to take multimedia 1B03 and
i am not sure what else to take.

Anyone know of any interesting classes that don't require a lot of writing?
Old 03-10-2011 at 12:39 PM   #2
jh890

Liked: 0 Times

Theatre and Film (cross listed with CMST) 2T03 - Music in Film and TV I want to take this one!

It's in term 1; tues and thurs; night class (630-930)

Last edited by jh890 : 03-10-2011 at 12:40 PM. Reason: term 1
Old 03-10-2011 at 12:47 PM   #3
Lizliz

Liked: 15 Times

I took anthro 1a03 last summer with Cummins. Super easy.
Old 03-10-2011 at 01:11 PM   #4
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizliz View Post
I took anthro 1a03 last summer with Cummins. Super easy.
Dr. Cummins in excellent. I had Arratia for 1A03 - not easy, just frustrating.
Old 03-12-2011 at 11:03 AM   #5
optimism

Liked: 14 Times

I'm just wondering, it's my first year here, do people take electives in summer school to higher up their GPA? or am I confused?

How is the GPA actually calculated? Let's say you take 10 classes in the school year which means 30 units and take 2 classes in summer school and that's 6 units, how would the GPA be calculated then?
Old 03-12-2011 at 12:54 PM   #6
marcie

Liked: 119 Times

Yeah, people take summer courses to either raise their cumulative average, get courses out of the way & take fewer courses during the following year (and devote more time to them, which could also raise your average), or if you're behind in credits and need to make up for courses dropped during the year.

GPA conversion chart: http://careers.mcmaster.ca/students/...nversion-chart

How to calculate cumulative average: http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/ass...ted?format=pdf

An awesome course to take during the summer is Music 1AA3. I loved it, and it required barely any work besides showing up to class and taking decent notes. No assignments, just 3 tests and an exam!

Last edited by marcie : 03-12-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-12-2011 at 03:27 PM   #7
optimism

Liked: 14 Times

so, if I want to get into a specific second year program that requires a certain GPA, do the electives taken in the summer get considered into calculating my GPA and help boost it up to get into the program of my choice?

By the way, thank you so much Marcie for all this information, it really helped
Old 03-12-2011 at 03:49 PM   #8
rcmp1234

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcie View Post
Yeah, people take summer courses to either raise their cumulative average, get courses out of the way & take fewer courses during the following year (and devote more time to them, which could also raise your average), or if you're behind in credits and need to make up for courses dropped during the year.

How to calculate cumulative average: http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/ass...ted?format=pdf

An awesome course to take during the summer is Music 1AA3. I loved it, and it required barely any work besides showing up to class and taking decent notes. No assignments, just 3 tests and an exam!
I dont think that summer courses count toward your GPA. And regardless of whether or not you tkae summer courses, you are still required to take a full course load during the school year.
Old 03-12-2011 at 03:55 PM   #9
hatorade

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcie View Post

Who says summer school rasies cGPA :|
Old 03-12-2011 at 04:03 PM   #10
marcie

Liked: 119 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimism View Post
so, if I want to get into a specific second year program that requires a certain GPA, do the electives taken in the summer get considered into calculating my GPA and help boost it up to get into the program of my choice?
To be totally honest, I'm not sure. If anything I'd check an academic adviser, but the courses that serve as pre-reqs for 2nd year programs (i.e. bio 1m03/1a03 for Honours Biology) will be looked at more seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmp1234 View Post
I dont think that summer courses count toward your GPA. And regardless of whether or not you tkae summer courses, you are still required to take a full course load during the school year.
They don't count towards your Sessional Average of the Fall/Winter 2010/11 term, but I'm pretty sure they count towards your Cumulative Average since that includes all courses you've taken at McMaster. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

As long as you're registered in at least 24 units of courses, you're still considered a full-time student. I took 3 courses last summer, and this year I only took 8 courses (4 each semester) and haven't encountered any problems. Unless I'm doing it all wrong? Lol
Old 03-13-2011 at 01:28 PM   #11
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmp1234 View Post
Marcie's right on both counts. Summer courses count toward the calculation of your CA.

The way that it was explained to me is that your CA isn't reviewed in the summer unless you've completed 18 units since the last review (which happens at the end of the Fall/Winter term), which may be why many people assume it doesn't count.

For example, if your average at the end of the Fall/Winter term was a 7.5 and you take summer courses, your grade report will show how the summer courses have affected your average at the end of the Spring/Summer term. However, your reviewed average (the one by which the school determines your academic standing) will still be a 7.5. This is because you probably completed less than 18 units (unless you overloaded) in the summer, so the school won't review your average until the end of the next Fall/Winter session.

This is all visible on your grade report. If you've taken summer courses before, go look at it, and it'll say "UNREVIEWED AVERAGE" at the end of the section showing the Spring/Summer term you took. Below that, it'll say that it isn't reviewed unless "18 units have been attempted since the last review."

But those summer marks do affect your CA. I've heard this works slightly differently for people on academic probation, but I'm not sure how it works in that case.

Additionally, you can definitely take courses in the summer in order to lighten your workload in the terms to come. Two of my housemates got Organic Chemistry out of the way in the summer so that they wouldn't have to worry about in the Fall/Winter session, and thereby lowered their unit load this year. A good idea, if you've got the time to spare in the summer.

Last edited by alh24 : 03-13-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-13-2011 at 01:53 PM   #12
LukeEngineer

Liked: 5 Times

When can you apply for summer school courses ? and is it SOLAR ? or do you need to fill out some form/ something ?
Old 03-13-2011 at 01:56 PM   #13
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeEngineer View Post
When can you apply for summer school courses ? and is it SOLAR ? or do you need to fill out some form/ something ?
SOLAR opens for registration on March 21st, and it's all online through MUGSI/SOLAR.

LukeEngineer says thanks to alh24 for this post.
Old 03-13-2011 at 04:07 PM   #14
changturkey

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
SOLAR opens for registration on March 21st, and it's all online through MUGSI/SOLAR.
When is SOLAR closed for Registration for the summer term?
Old 03-13-2011 at 04:15 PM   #15
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by changturkey View Post
When is SOLAR closed for Registration for the summer term?
The last day to add term 1 and 3 courses is May 6th. For term 2, June 24th.