MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good bubble tea place in Hamilton? killerbeatz General Discussion 4 10-01-2011 10:41 AM
good restaurants in Hamilton? chinadian Body & Food 0 02-13-2011 12:08 PM
Good ISP's in Hamilton Leeoku Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 23 02-12-2011 05:04 PM
The Hamilton Good Neighbour Campaign temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 0 11-21-2009 07:56 PM
Any good flea market in Hamilton? ayinaim General Discussion 3 03-15-2009 12:45 PM

Good, safe neighbourhoods in Hamilton

Old 09-13-2013 at 02:51 PM   #1
jrol

Liked: 3 Times

Good, safe neighbourhoods in Hamilton
I have an apartment right now but I've gotten out of the lease and I'm looking for something else. After murders, stabbings, drug busts I'm sick of this area. Especially coming from a really safe city. What areas are good, that you can find apartments or rentals in without breaking the bank? Everything seems to be downtown.
Old 09-13-2013 at 04:03 PM   #2
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 201 Times

What area are you living in right now? I need to know to tell you if there are areas safer than that.

Also there are barely any neighborhoods around the campus where something didn't go down in the past.
Old 09-13-2013 at 04:07 PM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

I'd also like to know the generalization of "streets/areas" A neighbour I know wants to know and wants to know which areas are louder, nicer, etc
Old 09-13-2013 at 05:29 PM   #4
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

From my experience, the Aberdeen/Dundurn area is pretty nice and "safe". Never had issues, even when walking a dog at 2am or walking down Longwood at 3am or 4am.

Old 09-13-2013 at 05:32 PM   #5
jrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlinkett View Post
What area are you living in right now? I need to know to tell you if there are areas safer than that.

Also there are barely any neighborhoods around the campus where something didn't go down in the past.
I live just off Hess, on Hunter W.

Something in the past isn't a big deal. But murders, stabbings and drug busts across the street, constantly dealing with druggies trying to talk to you, get money, ask questions, etc., dealing with the drunks every weekend, not great. Obviously every area has had issues, but this is ridiculous.
Old 09-13-2013 at 05:38 PM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

I know there have been some issues in Westdale, but I've always felt safe walking around there even alone at 2am.
Old 09-13-2013 at 05:43 PM   #7
jrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
I know there have been some issues in Westdale, but I've always felt safe walking around there even alone at 2am.
I don't. Even with my 100 lb (teddybear of a) dog
Old 09-13-2013 at 06:09 PM   #8
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

I live on Main West across from White Chapel Cemetery, pretty quiet there.
Old 09-13-2013 at 08:04 PM   #9
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 201 Times

Quote:
I don't. Even with my 100 lb (teddybear of a) dog
Good, luck favors the prepared ones.

I live just off Hess, on Hunter W.

Quote:
Something in the past isn't a big deal. But murders, stabbings and drug busts across the street, constantly dealing with druggies trying to talk to you, get money, ask questions, etc., dealing with the drunks every weekend, not great. Obviously every area has had issues, but this is ridiculous.
That is the general problem with Hamilton, especially downtown.

Hmm, yeah, Westdale is the safest part for a student's rent. The only thing I head about it is an assault of some teenager at a buss stop a year or two ago, nothing beyond that.
Old 09-13-2013 at 08:24 PM   #10
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlinkett View Post
Hmm, yeah, Westdale is the safest part for a student's rent. The only thing I head about it is an assault of some teenager at a buss stop a year or two ago, nothing beyond that.
Westdale has also had break-ins/robberies and several sexual assaults (by different perpetrators) throughout the past couple of years.
Old 09-13-2013 at 08:32 PM   #11
Kinder

Liked: 13 Times

Anything around big busy main street near the university is a good location to find a place. You have to look early though since this is considered as premium space. As several people have mentioned, you just have to take precaution when walking home at night, especially as a girl.
Old 09-13-2013 at 09:45 PM   #12
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

I live in the East End, just on the outskirts of downtown and feel very safe in my neighbourhood, even in the middle of the night (with no dog). King/Gage area, lots of buses close by.
Old 09-13-2013 at 10:23 PM   #13
Strategy

Liked: 46 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleighp View Post
I live in the East End, just on the outskirts of downtown and feel very safe in my neighbourhood, even in the middle of the night (with no dog). King/Gage area, lots of buses close by.
lol.. don't live in the East Hamilton OP, that's probably the worst part of Hamilton in general. Your best bet is living in one of the apartments on Main St W and the surrounding streets. These may be more expensive (might not be though, if you look hard enough), but good areas come at a premium for a reason (and bad areas are cheaper for a reason)