MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
25 Little-Known Google Tools for Students lorend The Secret Files 4 10-05-2010 09:30 AM
Mac Eng on google maps frzntrkydnnr Computers & Tech 25 09-02-2010 11:23 PM
Play pac man on Google! Melanieee MacInsiders Announcements 6 05-21-2010 07:42 PM
HSR on Google Maps! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 3 06-04-2009 12:45 AM

Google Wave

Old 07-23-2009 at 08:31 AM   #31
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauntobr View Post
I'll be paying attention to Google Wave (since I find it interesting, and am a techie), but the majority of the population won't be, and of that I am sure.
Ya, I doubt I'll ever be in a group with people who can/will bother to figure this thing out. Most people only really know how to use Internet Explorer, MSN Messenger and Hotmail. I tried explaining to some of my group members for a project last year how to set up tables using HTML.... they had no idea what HTML was :(.
Old 07-23-2009 at 08:33 AM   #32
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

What is this? The link is blocked at my work.
Old 07-23-2009 at 08:36 AM   #33
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post
What is this? The link is blocked at my work.
Google Wave is "a personal communication and collaboration tool" announced by Google at the Google I/O conference on May 27, 2009.[1][2] It is a web based service, computing platform, and communications protocol designed to merge e-mail, instant messaging, wiki, and social networking.[3] It has a strong collaborative and real-time[4] focus supported by robust spelling/grammar checking, automated translation between 40 languages[2], and numerous other extensions.[4] It was announced in Google's official blog on Tuesday 21 July 2009 that Google Wave is expected to be released on 30 September 2009. At this point, the current view of the Google Wave Website[1] (which is a preview with the Keynote embedded), will be replaced with wave itself.[2]

From Wikipedia... if you can look at Wikipedia at work, the address is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_wave

Fight0 says thanks to Taunton for this post.
Old 07-23-2009 at 11:24 AM   #34
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

That is all very true. I'm sure they know about how many people use each service. I think they are trying to offer all their services as one service in order to get more people to use it. Right now the services are kind of separated. Sure you can chat in gmail and open documents from gmail in gdocs but I'm sure a lot of people aren't using the many services google has to offer. So I think this is google's attempt at trying to capture more market.

I personally don't use anything from google other than gmail, their search engine and gmaps. But I think that I would be very interested in everything they have to offer in google wave. It makes everything easier to use (seems like it anyways) and if they are successful with this project I will use google wave for the many services it offers.
Old 07-24-2009 at 12:51 AM   #35
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Liked: 15 Times

I'm preparing to use Google Wave. Google has been adrift for a few years, but they appear to have really thought Wave out. When they focus their energies, Google succeeds.
Old 07-24-2009 at 01:21 AM   #36
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Google has pretty much dominated in whatever they come up with. Goodbye Yahoo, goodbye mapquest. G-mail has become pretty popular too. With Wave, they're going to be raking in a lot of cash. :]
Old 07-24-2009 at 01:26 AM   #37
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Google has pretty much dominated in whatever they come up with. Goodbye Yahoo, goodbye mapquest. G-mail has become pretty popular too. With Wave, they're going to be raking in a lot of cash. :]
And how do you think they will do that? Most of their services are free, and they make money by one of two ways:

- offering a "premium version" which you pay for. One example is the professional version of Google Earth, which costs hundreds of dollars.
- Advertising. Google makes pretty much all of it's money through advertising, and I don't want any Google software on my computer which natively supports advertising.

I also argue, from my previous post, that Google's office suite (Google docs) is not very popular, at least in my experience. Google does do well, but again, they feed niches rather than full-on markets.
Old 07-24-2009 at 01:32 AM   #38
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
- Advertising. Google makes pretty much all of it's money through advertising, and I don't want any Google software on my computer which natively supports advertising.
Google Wave will be all online, meaning their advertising will not be on your computer. I'm pretty sure that it'll be somewhat like Gmail, you can barely see the advertising...
Old 07-24-2009 at 01:58 AM   #39
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
And how do you think they will do that? Most of their services are free, and they make money by one of two ways:

- offering a "premium version" which you pay for. One example is the professional version of Google Earth, which costs hundreds of dollars.

I also argue, from my previous post, that Google's office suite (Google docs) is not very popular, at least in my experience. Google does do well, but again, they feed niches rather than full-on markets.
I was thinking about that, hmm. All I know is, they're getting cash from somewhere and there's a lot of it. Being able to buy out Youtube for example and kill all other competition, when it comes to things like search engines anyway, says something.

There's also like, people who have google searches embedded within their sites - do you have to pay for that?
Old 07-24-2009 at 02:07 AM   #40
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
There's also like, people who have google searches embedded within their sites - do you have to pay for that?
I don't think so... I think it's just a shortcut to the google search engine. There's a way to use google to search on 1 specific website but I can't remember what you have to type.
Old 07-24-2009 at 09:22 AM   #41
Fight0
Elite Member

Google's OS is really interesting though, I'd like to think that we'll be knee deep in cloud computing in 5 years.
Old 07-24-2009 at 09:48 AM   #42
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post
Google's OS is really interesting though, I'd like to think that we'll be knee deep in cloud computing in 5 years.
Interesting yes, but again it's designed to fill a niche market (the netbook). I'm NOT interested in a browser-oriented OS (Chrome OS is meant to look a lot like and work closely with the Chrome). Quite frankly, I'm a gamer, and I also use my computer for school related work with programs that frankly are only compatible with Windows, and that's the case for the majority of specialized software used around the world.
Old 07-24-2009 at 10:00 AM   #43
Fight0
Elite Member

Well Chrome OS is open source isn't it? I'm sure most products will be quickly adapted to Google's new OS, but yeah we all know the smaller programs we sometimes use for school which could have issues. As for gaming, everything could be done server side with something like OnLive. But I think you're right that Chrome OS will serve people with netbooks first, but I don't see any reason why in the future it couldn't catch on with notebooks in general.
Old 07-24-2009 at 10:03 AM   #44
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I don't really like the idea of cloud computing. If you don't have an internet connection, the computer is useless.

Taunton likes this.
Old 07-25-2009 at 11:36 PM   #45
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I don't really like the idea of cloud computing. If you don't have an internet connection, the computer is useless.
For a lot of people, if you don't have an internet connection the computer is already useless. Cloud computing definitely won't be used for the most serious things (or will be extremely slow to adapt to it) like music production, software design, graphic design, etc. But for the average user, cloud computing will be a nice step up.

I actually was planning on learning to use Ubuntu and use a netbook with that, but now I'm just going to wait for Chrome OS.

I'm also the only one I know who prefers to use Google Docs over Word or OpenOffice.