MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
American GPA conversion question hyperthermia Academics 15 04-10-2010 09:53 PM
Conversion from 12-point scale to 4.0 troubles dynast Academics 36 02-02-2010 10:08 PM
GPA conversion of 10 to percentage magicalland Academics 1 06-07-2009 08:50 PM

Gpa conversion

Old 03-07-2011 at 11:33 AM   #16
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

Liked: 110 Times

Question:

If you are in honours and your CGPA drops below 6. Will you get kicked out of Honours and force you to graduate?
Old 03-07-2011 at 11:38 AM   #17
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Well, looking at the other posts, it seems people have different answers. Which is why I asked the question. So no, not facepalm.
The facepalm was given that you quoted the part where I answered your question. I figured either you're trolling or not paying attention, if I was wrong I apologize. It's a bit sad that my first impulse on MI is to accuse people of trolling but it's an unfortunate reality.

To reiterate, - letter grades are absent because they're not given out at York...it doesn't mean your B- is anything but a B-...it still is. When you're comparing grades on a course by course basis you have to convert to the standardized measure (eg. 4.0). The only way to know whether you got a C+ or B would be to look at your raw percentage...but this is information that was _lost_ when your grade was converted into the 12-pt system (see my first post in this thread for details)

Does that clear things up?

Last edited by Mowicz : 03-07-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-10-2011 at 04:45 PM   #18
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

Liked: 110 Times

bump

to the top
Old 03-10-2011 at 04:53 PM   #19
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuderia View Post
Question:

If you are in honours and your CGPA drops below 6. Will you get kicked out of Honours and force you to graduate?
The way it was explained to me is that if your CA is less than a 6.0 (and that is, in fact, what is required for you to be in Honours for your program), you're in a regular degree. You can simply not satisfy the requirements to graduate, and you won't. So if you're in third year and just got kicked out of Honours, don't take one of the courses that's listed in the degree requirements for the regular program.

EDIT: I just heard that from another student, though. If you're worried that you may be forced to graduate and are trying to find a way out of it, talking to an academic advisor is probably better.

Last edited by alh24 : 03-10-2011 at 04:57 PM.