MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Summer School Course - Can I still graduate? dr4357 Academics 15 03-02-2013 10:03 AM
graduate school admission MacJk Academics 3 05-22-2012 03:01 AM
Graduate school thebends Academics 6 08-24-2010 06:57 PM
Graduate School (masters) Clematis Academics 6 08-18-2010 11:52 PM
Post-Graduate Series Part Six: Graduate School lorend Post-Graduate Advice Series 2 05-06-2009 12:19 PM

gpa for graduate school

Old 05-05-2015 at 12:08 AM   #1
stars

Liked: 4 Times

gpa for graduate school
what GPA do i need to have in order to be admitted by graduate school like MBA?
Old 05-05-2015 at 12:21 AM   #2
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
What we look for: The completion of a 4-year bachelor’s degree in any discipline, a recommended B average (73-76%) in your two most recent years of university study and proof of graduation (if applicable).
This is the requirement for mcmaster: http://mbarecruit.degroote.m cmaste...ore-you-apply/
Old 05-05-2015 at 12:53 AM   #3
Pendragon

Liked: 2 Times

MBAs are a dime a dozen now. Almost every school offers them and they are quickly dropping in value. If you must do an MBA, do it at a top school like Rotman, Schulich, Queens or Ivey.

Admissions into MBA is different for each school but they want to see at least 2 years of work experience, a good GMAT score and a GPA of B+ and above. Most people get their MBAs after working for a few years. The only benefits it really offers is the networking.

Last edited by Pendragon : 05-05-2015 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-05-2015 at 09:01 AM   #4
shreebee

Liked: 30 Times

Yes use that link posted above, also keep in mind that DeGroote also offers a co-op MBA in which no work experience is required. For obvious reasons that is more competitive.

Im going to write what one of my 4th year profs said:

"You should get an MBA where it is the cheapest and the fastest since all the MBA programs in Canada are regulated, so you learn the same thing everywhere"

but i agree that the school reputation does matter. and DeGroote is well known for their co-op MBA
Old 05-05-2015 at 09:32 PM   #5
stars

have you guys thought about going to the U.S. to do post-graduate school?
Old 05-05-2015 at 09:49 PM   #6
Pendragon

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stars View Post
have you guys thought about going to the U.S. to do post-graduate school?
No because it is far too expensive, especially if you are paying international fees, and unnecessary if you're only going to come back and work in Canada anyways. There are plenty of great graduate and professional programs in Canada and lots of fresh water as well. I like being a Canadian, even though Harper is seeking to ruin our reputation in the international arena.

Can the US really beat our health care system?
Old 05-05-2015 at 10:08 PM   #7
stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
No because it is far too expensive, especially if you are paying international fees, and unnecessary if you're only going to come back and work in Canada anyways. There are plenty of great graduate and professional programs in Canada and lots of fresh water as well. I like being a Canadian, even though Harper is seeking to ruin our reputation in the international arena.

my parents want me to go to the U.S., they think the U.S. has the best graduate schools. I kinda agree with that, but i'm not saying Canada is not good, it's just not as good as the U.S.
Old 05-05-2015 at 10:37 PM   #8
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by stars View Post
my parents want me to go to the U.S., they think the U.S. has the best graduate schools. I kinda agree with that, but i'm not saying Canada is not good, it's just not as good as the U.S.

"The US" is nowhere near good enough to make up for all of the points that Pendragon made, in my opinion.

Also, generalizing to "the US" and "Canada" is way too simplistic. Is Harvard better than Lakehead for grad school? Probably yes. Are UofT or McGill or UBC better than some random non-Ivy leage school in the US? Probably yes. You need to look at the calibre of the program you want at the specific schools you're interested in, and then decide if it's worth going to a school in the US, given all of the negatives.

You can get an excellent graduate degree in any number of disciplines from many schools in Canada. There are some world-class research institutes here. It's not worth tens of thousands of dollars for something that may or may not be marginally "better". And going to the US because your parents think the US has better schools is pretty much the worst possible reason to go international.