MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone dropping KIN 1Y03? Graduating this year and need for grad school! s_muskat Academics 5 07-14-2010 06:17 PM
Anyone else applying to grad school this year? Kathy2 Academics 4 12-23-2009 12:25 PM
Grad School open houses deangrad MacInsiders Announcements 5 11-04-2009 08:33 PM
Post Grad Series 3.5: Medical School lorend Post-Graduate Advice Series 7 09-12-2009 09:08 PM
bioscience grad school, canada or US? Mikage Academics 3 06-03-2009 01:34 PM

Grad school

Old 12-28-2009 at 04:24 PM   #31
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
We can all forget about jobs at McDonalds now, because we're already overqualified for that... but I would think we're going to university so that we don't end up with a job at McD's. :]
This isn't necessarily a good thing...Take me, I could not get a job this past summer. Why? Because I'm overqualified for most fast food jobs, many of the 'mall jobs,' and I'm underqualified to get a job in industry.
Old 12-28-2009 at 05:40 PM   #32
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo.monica View Post
I'd like to be a high school teacher. Which would I need?
Also, how long is teacher's college in Ontario?
Aite, I'm kinda looking at the same thing right now, so I'll let you in on what I know.

If you're a male, Catholic and have a science degree, you're pretty much set. Ontario's Catholic boards have a surplus of female teachers, so they always jump on the opportunity to get good male teachers, especially in science. But if you're a female with really good marks and a solid volunteer record, you'll do pretty well also.

Science teachers are always needed, but they're starting to look for computer science, business, religion and english teachers too.

Average marks to get in are around B+, but higher is always better. Some schools look for 200+ volunteer hours in a teaching environment as well.

The consensus at my old high school (where I'm getting my volunteer hours) is that the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE) at U of T is one of the best teacher's colleges in the country, with Brock being pretty high up there too.

You can stretch out your B.Ed. if you'd like, but it only takes about 2 years (including placements) to get that. Best jobs always require a Masters and/or a M.Ed. (masters in education). As a department head with all the perks, you can be looking at a cap of $95,000 in the Catholic board.

Hope that helps?

xo.monica says thanks to c.erl for this post.
Old 12-28-2009 at 07:00 PM   #33
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
This isn't necessarily a good thing...Take me, I could not get a job this past summer. Why? Because I'm overqualified for most fast food jobs, many of the 'mall jobs,' and I'm underqualified to get a job in industry.
true but if you really wanted such a job couldn't you just exclude your education from your résumé?
Old 12-28-2009 at 08:46 PM   #34
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
true but if you really wanted such a job couldn't you just exclude your education from your résumé?
I could but then I'd look like I've been sitting around for the last four years doing nothing, and I would look like a bad employee...unless of course I fabricated some elaborate lie, but barring that looks like I'm stuck putting down my educational info. lol

xo.monica likes this.