MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taking Grad School Pre Reqs in Summer School? ChhabrN Academics 2 01-01-2013 12:34 AM
Grad School at MAC AztekEscobar Academics 0 08-18-2012 01:37 PM
Grad School with Life Sci? Unregistered First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 16 05-27-2012 09:21 AM
Question about summer school and grad school apps bruni Academics 4 05-05-2012 07:05 AM
Grad school xo.monica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 33 12-28-2009 08:46 PM

Grad School w/ a B.A. in Life Sci

Old 04-01-2013 at 03:03 PM   #1
bahonja

Liked: 1 Time

Grad School w/ a B.A. in Life Sci
Hello,

I was just wondering if it's possible to get into Grad School with a B.A. in Life Science, rather than an Honors Life Science Degree. Does it really depend on the program? Please help me and thank you for your time.
Old 04-01-2013 at 04:48 PM   #2
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahonja View Post
Hello,

I was just wondering if it's possible to get into Grad School with a B.A. in Life Science, rather than an Honors Life Science Degree. Does it really depend on the program? Please help me and thank you for your time.
B.A. in Life science? What kind of program are you in?

Old 04-01-2013 at 05:08 PM   #3
rpg51
Elite Member

Liked: 139 Times

most grad schools require an honours degree
Old 04-01-2013 at 05:09 PM   #4
rpg51
Elite Member

Liked: 139 Times

and i think you mean Bsc
Old 04-01-2013 at 05:56 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Lol.

Grad school in science with a BA? prob not.

With a 3-year general life sci degree? again, prob not.

Research experience is key, and it helps to have an undergrad degree with a focus in the general area of research you plan on pursuing in grad school.

The reason I said probably is because it ALWAYS depends on the individual school and the individual program within each school, so you really need to look up this info/email admissions offices for yourself. I wouldn't get my hopes up too high though, because the reality is that even if they won't automatically reject you because you don't have an honours degree, you'll be competing for admissions against a bunch of people who do have honours degrees. And then even if you DO manage to get in, you'll be pretty behind and have a lot of catching up to do.

If you're interested in grad school, why do you only want a three year degree?
Old 04-10-2013 at 08:45 PM   #6
bahonja

Liked: 1 Time

Sorry I meant B.Sc. I'm in third year life science. I don't know. I just want to get out of the undergrad train sooner.
Old 04-11-2013 at 09:31 AM   #7
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

If you can't stand undergraduate, how are you going to do your masters?
Old 04-11-2013 at 10:34 AM   #8
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

Maybe you could see if you could take some graduate courses while finishing your undergrad...?
Or some more advanced courses/self-study courses...judging from the fact your profile says "second year", I'm guessing you're bored/tired/frustrated by the seemingly repetitive undergrad wheel. Try looking for some different courses...might help you enjoy the experience more.
Isn't there some research Life Sci course they just started?
Old 04-11-2013 at 02:12 PM   #9
celtics_fan

Liked: 12 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
Isn't there some research Life Sci course they just started?
Yeah there's two or three, but from what I have heard, they are full.