MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grade scale conversion help. KOZAK First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-30-2013 08:34 PM
Percentage Grades and grades on 12 point scale rpg51 General Discussion 7 11-18-2012 02:39 PM
gpa conversion MacJk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 05-28-2012 05:52 PM
Gpa conversion Sel_s Academics 18 03-10-2011 04:53 PM
GPA conversion of 10 to percentage magicalland Academics 1 06-07-2009 08:50 PM

Grades Conversion

Old 01-23-2015 at 02:07 PM   #1
MuFasaChua

Liked: 0 Times

Grades Conversion
I'm considering of continuing my studies in Australia but when I check their grading scheme, it is totally different from Mac's 12 point scheme.

I'm lookin into Queensland University and apparently, their grading scheme is a 7 point scheme.

I've looked up online and there were a number of people saying and explaining it differently.

Can anyone explain this to me??

Thanks in Advance!!
Old 01-23-2015 at 02:17 PM   #2
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

They are using 7 point system, McMaster isn't. Sounds really straight forward to me.
Old 01-23-2015 at 03:22 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

I googled and found this: http://www.classbase.com/countries/A...Grading-System which mirrors what is laid out on the Queensland University website. Since no corresponding percentages are listed, you should contact the school directly to find out how to convert.
Old 01-26-2015 at 11:42 AM   #4
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

Why do students have such a hard time converting between different grading scales? Figure out your CA on the 12 point system, and then equate that to a percentage. I'm sure once you have a specific percentage average, it should be VERY easy to convert that to any other grading system. Its not even as if the addition, multiplication and division required for the calculations is in any way difficult people!
Old 01-26-2015 at 12:43 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Dream View Post
Why do students have such a hard time converting between different grading scales? Figure out your CA on the 12 point system, and then equate that to a percentage. I'm sure once you have a specific percentage average, it should be VERY easy to convert that to any other grading system. Its not even as if the addition, multiplication and division required for the calculations is in any way difficult people!
Well, first you can't actually calculate a percent average if all you have is your grade in the 12-point system, and secondly, the system the OP is trying to convert to doesn't have corresponding percent ranges alongside it. There's not a definition of what each grade point actually is, beyond "high distinction", "distinction", etc. It converts to US grades as well (A+, A, B, C and F are the only options) but the definitions of those letter grades in the US aren't always uniform (e.g. sometimes an A+ is 85+, or 90+).

It's not your run-of-the-mill "I can't convert from 12-point to 4-point GPA" question
Old 01-26-2015 at 02:53 PM   #6
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
Well, first you can't actually calculate a percent average if all you have is your grade in the 12-point system, and secondly, the system the OP is trying to convert to doesn't have corresponding percent ranges alongside it. There's not a definition of what each grade point actually is, beyond "high distinction", "distinction", etc. It converts to US grades as well (A+, A, B, C and F are the only options) but the definitions of those letter grades in the US aren't always uniform (e.g. sometimes an A+ is 85+, or 90+).

It's not your run-of-the-mill "I can't convert from 12-point to 4-point GPA" question
You can at least estimate it to within 3 percent for the most part. Example, if your CA at Mac was something like a 8.3, then you could say you are likely sitting around a 74-76% (Correct me if the numbers are wrong, as i havent been in school a couple years lol).

Thanks for the heads up though about not all systems having percentage equivalents. I was not aware of these at the time. Makes you wish schools would stop trying to distinguish themselves based on who can have the most fucked up grading system tho! Seriously, if percentages work so easily, why need other systems?
Old 01-26-2015 at 07:21 PM   #7
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Dream View Post
Thanks for the heads up though about not all systems having percentage equivalents. I was not aware of these at the time. Makes you wish schools would stop trying to distinguish themselves based on who can have the most fucked up grading system tho! Seriously, if percentages work so easily, why need other systems?
Yes, OP has a fair point. Mac treats an A+ as 90%+, i've seen other schools where an A+ is 85% or even 80%. That's an incredible disparity especially for competitive programs. Its why when you apply for things you should be giving your transcript with a full mark break down on what the conversion looks like, and just pray the person takes the time to understand the marking scheme and doesn't unilaterally try and compare grading schemes.