MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When you put books in to your 'shopping bag' in titles do you reserve that book? memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-26-2010 10:16 PM
Grocery nonikhanna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-01-2010 06:24 PM
Are any grocery stores open tomorrow? Kathy2 General Discussion 4 04-04-2010 04:16 AM
grocery stores? twitterbird General Discussion 48 08-12-2009 01:31 PM
School shopping soon...what to buy? shleyaa General Discussion 48 09-02-2008 11:15 PM

Grocery Shopping

Old 08-22-2008 at 01:50 PM   #1
katie_batt

Liked: 9 Times

Grocery Shopping
Does anyone know what the closest groercy store(s) is to campus, and specifically where it is? (I want to look it up on map quest) Also, how far is it? like walking distance, or bus?

While we're talking about buses, is there any efficient way of figuring out he bus system besides just slowly trying to learn it? lol because I'm from Guelph where buses are easy: they all go downtown. Hamilton's a lot bigger, so I'm worried about being able to go places on the bus. I dont even know where a mall is in Hamilton! Is there like some sort of mac orientation for learning about hamilton or anything? thanks!!
Old 08-22-2008 at 02:19 PM   #2
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

There is fortinos on Main St West and it's about a 10 minute walk from the Main St Entrance. There's also the Barn just outside westdale which is about a 15-20 minute walk (depending on how fast you walk) from the Sterling St Entrance.

By bus? Well unless it's cold it's not really worth the wait to go to fortinos, but the bus trip back (when you're loaded down) is less than 5 minutes to the main st entrance. Unfortunately the 52, nor the 5 will take you into campus from that end. The 10 beeline does go into campus from that entrance but it won't stop at the bus stop outside of fortinos cause it's an express.

From the Barn: it's about a 10 minute ride and you can take the 5, the 51, the 10 or the 1 King. All of these stop at the stops ON CAMPUS.

HSR website

The trip planner works sometimes, other times it's a little stupid.

Fortinos on Main

The Barn in Westdale
Okay, after trying the Barn link, it's not taking you back to the actual store. The barn that you want is: Hamilton- 845 King St. W

Last edited by kokosas : 08-22-2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-22-2008 at 02:42 PM   #3
katie_batt

wow thanks so much kokosas, that was a really thorough reply!
Old 08-22-2008 at 03:07 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Buuuut...

They're discontinuing the B-Line route...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-22-2008 at 03:29 PM   #5
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Buuuut...

They're discontinuing the B-Line route...
They are?
http://www.myhamilton.ca/myhamilton/...ute10BLINE.htm
Old 08-22-2008 at 03:41 PM   #6
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

You can try to take a look at the "System wide" hsr map and figure out where you want to go in relation to the university. So you'd look on Google Maps, figure out the closest intersection and then open up the system wide map.

We're in the west part of the city.
Old 08-22-2008 at 04:56 PM   #7
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

To answer your question about where the mall is in Hamilton! The best one is up on the hill (you'll know soon enough what I mean), it's called Limeridge Mall. It's about 30 to 40 minutes on the bus and you have to transfer once. It's not too hard though. You would take the 5 going off campus (towards Sterling ave) then you would get off of that one at McNab St (Just look for the Canadian Football Museum, it's right after that), then you would walk (in the same direction as you were going on the bus) to James st, turn right onto James st and there's a few bus stops there, one is the 25/26 stop. Take the 25, it takes you right to the mall. That should be all right, there are other buses you can take off campus but I can't remember which other ones go to the same place.
Old 08-22-2008 at 05:11 PM   #8
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

They're not discontinuing the B-Line, they're just not having it stop actually on campus anymore. There was an article in the Spectator about it today - http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/423104

Basically, it'll just stop along Main St., so you'll have to walk from there. It's part of the ongoing showdown between Mac and the city regarding the number of vehicles passing through the centre core of campus - the city now demands trucks not use Sterling St. because of complaints from residents, so they have to pass through the pedestrian core to get into campus. As a result, Mac said some HSR buses can't pass through campus anymore to keep traffic down.
Old 08-22-2008 at 05:11 PM   #9
katie_batt

thanks alyssabriere, I'm sure I'll get used to it quickly.
Old 08-22-2008 at 05:13 PM   #10
katie_batt

does anyone know where the nearest Hamilton Public Library branch is to campus?
Old 08-22-2008 at 05:16 PM   #11
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Nearest HPL branch is Westdale. It's maybe a 15 minute walk from the Sterling St. gates. It's not a very big branch, but they can order items in from any branch in the system if you find something you want in their online catalog. The biggest branch is Central, which is downtown, and very easily accessible by bus from campus.

Joey says thanks to Cippi for this post.
Old 10-04-2008 at 07:08 PM   #12
opensky

Liked: 2 Times

Does anyone know about the Fortinos shuttle bus? I heard about it one year but I didn't pay attention because I was on campus and didn't need to grocery shop often or work out busing.

Anyways, I can't seem to find any information about it online so I was wondering if this shuttle still operates or if it was discontinued. I think it used to operate on Monday evenings.
Old 10-04-2008 at 08:18 PM   #13
bauhaual

Liked: 0 Times

They're no longer having the Fortinos Campus Shuttle. I asked them when they came to Sidewalk Sale - and they said that they didn't get enough students using it last year so they stopped doing it. :(

opensky says thanks to bauhaual for this post.
Old 10-05-2008 at 03:43 PM   #14
opensky

Liked: 2 Times

Oh, that kind of sucks. There was a stop right by where my house is, that would have been convenient.