MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
once i paid the residence deposit am I guaranteed a spot? 737300173 Residence & Housing 2 06-06-2011 07:29 PM
Guaranteed Residence? Jesssy Residence & Housing 4 05-11-2011 07:18 PM
are you guaranteed a bursary? xsanx Financial Aid 3 01-21-2010 09:28 AM
Residence Guaranteed OceanSpray Residence & Housing 4 06-07-2009 12:27 AM

Guaranteed Admission

Old 03-19-2012 at 04:15 PM   #1
Unregistered

Guaranteed Admission
So I got accepted to McMaster for Business I with an 84.6% average. My offer of admission states that I need to get above 82% in my final grades, otherwise I'm kicked out of the program. I feel like thats a really small difference that I can only drop 2.6%, and that it doesn't really make much sense - or is that just me?
Old 03-19-2012 at 04:29 PM   #2
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

It makes sense to me. 82 is low enough that many, many students with higher averages can easily fill your spot. It's also the same for other programs - not just Business. i.e. Life Sci cutoff is ~87, and you can't drop under 84 or 85, and Health Sci's cutoff is 90, while the minimum post-acceptance is 88.
Old 03-19-2012 at 04:32 PM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

it's a conditional acceptance. they just want to factor in ur second term marks. first time i applied my marks dropped below and i got kicked and had to wait another year. basically, ur in as long as u stay above 82
Old 03-19-2012 at 05:18 PM   #4
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

It's not ridiculous at all. Most students here have a highschool average much higher than 82 and that goes for incoming first years as well, it'd be really easy to fill your spot. Just don't mess up on your finals and make sure you hand in absolutely every single assignment possible, ask for extra credit if you're really worried.

Good luck.
Old 03-19-2012 at 05:48 PM   #5
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So I got accepted to McMaster for Business I with an 84.6% average. My offer of admission states that I need to get above 82% in my final grades, otherwise I'm kicked out of the program. I feel like thats a really small difference that I can only drop 2.6%, and that it doesn't really make much sense - or is that just me?
Congratulations! I think it's just you to a certain degree but then again..I felt the same way when I got my conditional offer of admission. Just try to get extremely high marks on whatever assessments you have between now and your final exams so you have that little "cushion" space just in case something goes wrong in any of your exams. Just stay on top of everything, don't let your guard down, and all the best!
Old 03-19-2012 at 05:56 PM   #6
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This is done at pretty much every university. Simply put, if there is no minimum final grades, what is to stop someone with early admission from completely slacking and doing the bare minimum to pass the rest of their courses?
If there is a very small difference between your average and the average you need to maintain, you're likely close to the cutoff.

sarahsullz likes this.