MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gym Membership hello12311 General Discussion 3 08-04-2012 06:23 PM
Proof of Membership Marooner General Discussion 1 05-14-2012 03:04 PM
Gym Membership revenant First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-14-2010 02:10 PM
Gym membership? kuruczpa Athletics & Recreation 12 09-07-2010 02:25 PM
Gym Membership anthony Athletics & Recreation 8 06-06-2010 01:40 PM

Gym membership and studies for first years. Should i get the membership or not? ...

Old 08-24-2012 at 01:50 PM   #1
lalalola2011

Liked: 4 Times

Gym membership and studies for first years. Should i get the membership or not? ...
Hey so my question is it a good idea to get memebership in first year? cuz i dont know if ill have time to go use the gym or not, it all depends on many things.. So just wanted to know how was ur experience with using the membership during first year? do u recommend it? As in were u able to use the membership regularly and keep up with studies? Also, i am planning to start Yoga but in not sure if itll all go to waste or if ill be able to go and use my membership regularly, cuz im not a very organized person.
Old 08-24-2012 at 01:58 PM   #2
ThatGuy

Liked: 36 Times

Get a membership and go to the gym. You will have time, at most it will take out two hours of your day. Get to the gym 2-3 times a week and you'll feel better and have more energy compared to just sitting and studying all day.

lalalola2011 says thanks to ThatGuy for this post.

keiser=), TheCrucible like this.
Old 08-24-2012 at 02:07 PM   #3
Jenn

Liked: 5 Times

I completely agree with the person above. Trust me, I learned it the hard way.

lalalola2011 says thanks to Jenn for this post.

lalalola2011 likes this.
Old 08-24-2012 at 02:11 PM   #4
kaitotst

Liked: 33 Times

i think I would have never went to the gym without my friend pushing me to go w/ him. We went for the majority of the school year except during midterms/exams and it'd be 2 hours in the evening.

Definitely worth it, unless you have some other method of keeping yourself fit during the year (morning jogs, etc.). I picked the gym because the membership is very cheap compared to places like YMCA and the equipment is top notch. Go with a friend; at the gym you guys can spot each other on the exercises and if you have someone going w/ you, that'll motivate you to go.

donno much about yoga at mac, sorry.

lalalola2011 says thanks to kaitotst for this post.
Old 08-24-2012 at 03:33 PM   #5
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Do yoga!

The fitness classes at Mac are pretty cheap ($30-40 for an 8-10 week session) and they're a lot of fun.

If you're not the type of person who will be motivated to just go to the gym by yourself, then fitness classes are a good idea- they're a fixed time every week, and you can just pick one that works with your schedule instead of consciously finding time for the gym every week.

I've done two dance classes, two yoga classes and (part of) an aerobics class and I enjoyed them all, the instructors were super friendly and they move at a relatively easy pace.

Also, if you're anxious about paying for the gym and then not going, you could start off using the indoor track or the pool. You don't have to pay for those, and if you find that you're motivated to go you can always get a gym membership for upper years or second semester.

lalalola2011 says thanks to Geek for this post.

lalalola2011 likes this.
Old 08-31-2012 at 03:37 AM   #6
ouchie

Liked: 0 Times

do we have to buy membership to use the pool? i didnt do any research on gym membership...
Old 08-31-2012 at 05:25 AM   #7
Arisu4

Liked: 7 Times

pool is free for all students (but I think there are specific times when you can swim though).
Old 08-31-2012 at 07:48 AM   #8
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

The membership is cheap enough that if you go once a week, it is still cheaper than going to other gyms. I found if I have later starting days, I go in the morning to help wake me up and its great to go between classes
Old 08-31-2012 at 08:04 AM   #9
taayholds

Liked: Liked 9 Times

If you're living on campus or close to campus then I think it would be a good idea, but first year I was living on the mountain in east Hamilton and had to take two buses to/from school, so I found it very hard to find time for the gym. But this year I am living in Westdale so I am definitely going to go to the gym!