MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Was the H1N1 virus as big of a deal as people made it? Kathy2 General Discussion 9 03-04-2010 05:59 PM
where can I get an H1N1 shot? Mac12 General Discussion 2 11-27-2009 09:16 PM
Putting H1N1 Into Perspective Taunton General Discussion 23 11-06-2009 11:14 PM
Human Papilloma Virus Vaccine: Gardasil Eva C Misc 8 07-23-2009 03:06 PM

H1N1 Vaccine ?

Old 11-18-2009 at 12:13 AM   #16
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

i read an article that said the amount of mercury in the vaccine is less than that in a can of tuna. unfortunately i can't find the article, but just add me to the consensus that you shouldn't worry about the mercury in the vaccine.
Old 11-18-2009 at 02:25 PM   #17
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Whoa... Canada ordered 50 million vaccines? That's like 15 million more than the population...

I would assume the possible side effects are the same of that of the normal flu shot.
that's how GlaxoSmithKline earns money, release the virus then sell the cure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I'm a little more worried about the long term. How do I know what kind of side effects this shot will have in 25 years? Has that even been tested?
weren't kids and elders most susceptible? anyways, i'm not getting one either
Old 11-18-2009 at 04:17 PM   #18
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
weren't kids and elders most susceptible? anyways, i'm not getting one either
The "normal" seasonal flu affects the very young and very old. However, H1N1 affects those in between.
Old 11-18-2009 at 05:38 PM   #19
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
The "normal" seasonal flu affects the very young and very old. However, H1N1 affects those in between.
I believe that older individuals (i.e., not teenagers) are more suspectable to H1N1. I remember hearing 35 and above....

EDIT: I found the article (http://www.healthzone.ca/health/news...-risk-for-h1n1). It is people in their 30's. Apparently, pregnant women, really young children, mothers with new babies and HIV patients are also at high risk.

Last edited by rrtt : 11-18-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-18-2009 at 06:11 PM   #20
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

Quote:
Whoa... Canada ordered 50 million vaccines? That's like 15 million more than the population...
It's only good for 24h. They've already been throwing some away.

Oh, and don't forget illegal immigrants...
Old 11-18-2009 at 09:26 PM   #21
tee33

Liked: 0 Times

don't knock it until you've tried it?

- for those who think Swine flu has been hyped up you are right in that the Media has constructed a lot of fear over the flu but take it from someone who has recently had swine flu it sucks big time. i've had the flu before and it's not the same it came on very quickly and it really messed with my body i couldnt even keep water down i missed 4 days of classes and midterms during a time we all know is really packed with deadlines.

- i didnt want to get the shot and i would be considered high risk due a preexisting heart condition and I wouldn't still even if i hadn't gotten the flu but right now is not a time that most of us can afford to get sick.
Old 11-19-2009 at 01:49 AM   #22
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
It's only good for 24h. They've already been throwing some away.

Oh, and don't forget illegal immigrants...
Really? Only 24hours? I thought they packed those vaccines with a bunch of preservatives...
Old 11-19-2009 at 06:28 PM   #23
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

Quote:
Really? Only 24hours? I thought they packed those vaccines with a bunch of preservatives...
Source: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/0...carded_ shots