Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
virus? Charbs Computers & Tech 21 01-29-2010 12:07 PM
H1N1 Vaccine ? Kathy2 General Discussion 22 11-19-2009 06:28 PM
Free Anti-virus? kanishka General Discussion 20 07-12-2009 11:13 PM

Human Papilloma Virus Vaccine: Gardasil

Human Papilloma Virus Vaccine: Gardasil

BY EVA CHAN

Gardasil. We’ve all heard it on television commercials, from our doctors or from our friends talking about it. So what is it? Gardasil is a cervical cancer vaccine for protection against four major strains of the sexually transmitted human papilloma virus (HPV).

HPV is a DNA-based virus and is estimated to be one of the most common sexually transmitted infections (STIs) in Canada. Many types of HPV have been identified, with some leading to cancer and others to ano-genital warts. Seventy-five percent of Canadians will have some form of HPV during their lifetime. This is so high because you may become in contact with the virus, but it will stay dormant and active in your body system forever. In addition, HPV is transmitted by skin-to-skin contact and thrives in warm, moist areas, such as the genitals, thighs, groin and anus.

There are over 100 types strains of HPV and about 35 types of HPV infect the genitals and reproductive organs. Within these 35, there are high-risk and low-risk types of HPV. Gardasil protects against infection with two high risk types of HPV (Type 16 and 18) and two low risk types (Type 6 and 11). HPV types 16 and 18 cause approximately 70% of cervical cancers while HPV types 6 and 11 cause approximately 90% of ano-genital warts.

Gardasil is given as 3 injections into the upper arm or thigh muscle over a period of 6 months. The second dose is given 2 months after the first dose, and the third dose is given 6 months after the first dose. The injections are given by a health care professional in a clinic or similar setting. The vaccine does not contain the virus, but only particles from part of the virus. Also, the vaccine does not contain any preservative or antibiotics.

So is this vaccine right for everyone? Gardasil is for girls and young women ages 9 to 26. It is recommended for girls and women before their first sexual encounter. But keep in mind that woman who have taken the HPV vaccine is not protect against diseases caused by other HPV types not protected by this vaccine.

To reduce your risks of HPV, barrier methods of protection (such as condoms) are still necessary to prevent HIV/AIDS and other types of infection not prevented by the HPV vaccine during sexual activity. Regular Pap screening is still required to check for cervical abnormalities. This vaccine is not suitable for woman who has already been exposed to the HPV virus type that the vaccine is preventing.

The vaccine is also very expensive, at approximately $405 Canadian per woman for the three injections. The side effects include pain, swelling, itching, and redness at the injection site, fever, nausea, dizziness, vomiting, and fainting.

If you are interested in this vaccine, speak to your doctor to see if it is appropriate for you. If you are worried about HPV, consult a doctor and get a Pap screening. HPV can be quickly detected through routine pap tests. Studies are currently being done to develop a vaccine for males.

If you want more information, check the following source:
Gardasil: http://www.gardasil.com/

.:callen:. likes this.
Published by
Elite Member

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 07-22-2009 at 10:49 AM   #2
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times
Eva, are you still a PHE next year? : )

Old 07-22-2009 at 07:58 PM   #3
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
Eva, are you still a PHE next year? : )
No I am not.

Old 07-22-2009 at 10:14 PM   #4
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times
Nice article

There is A LOT of controversy surrounding this vaccine though. The company that makes it currently has a monopoly on the market. Other companies are in the process of developing comparable vaccines but it seems like there's a huge push to get everyone vaccinated NOW as opposed to comparing the vaccines to see which is best. This is pretty typical of the pharmaceutical industry though IMO.

Some groups are also raising concerns about the vaccine 'promoting promiscuity'. They're pushing against the vaccine being made mandatory for middle school girls.

Health care drama rama as always.

Old 07-23-2009 at 01:58 PM   #5
daisy

Liked: 51 Times
The cost of this vaccine is often covered by extended health care benefits, if one, or one's parents subscribe to a plan.

Old 07-23-2009 at 02:01 PM   #6
daisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:callen:. View Post

Some groups are also raising concerns about the vaccine 'promoting promiscuity'. They're pushing against the vaccine being made mandatory for middle school girls.

The vaccine is not mandatory for middle school girls in Ontario . It is provided under OHIP, for free, to girls in grade 8; other young women have to pay for it.

One of the main reasons it is offered to girls in this age group is that it is often likely that they will have a sexual encounter of some kind during their adolescence, and the vaccine needs "a certain amount of time" (don't ask me how long, I don't have the stats on hand!! ) to provide protection, due to the spacing of the shots.

Old 07-23-2009 at 02:22 PM   #7
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:callen:. View Post

Yes, a vaccinnation against HPV was exactly what I was waiting for before going on my massive promiscuous sex-spree, with no thought for the many, potentially much worse consequences.

*rolls eyes*

People are dumb.

adrian, daisy, Lois like this.

Old 07-23-2009 at 02:41 PM   #8
janeller

Liked: 3 Times
I would be very upset if this was made mandetory for middleschool-aged girls. Did anyone read the article in Macleans about the vaccine? According to that article, the innoculation doesn't seem too safe yet. Not only that, but it doesn't promise to protect against even HALF the strains of known HPV. I don't necessarily think it PROMOTES promescuity but I think in order for young girls to understand that it doesn't excuse promiscuous behaviour, it would have to be reallllyyy dug into them. I don't think I would have understood at that age.
I just have this gut feeling that in 20/30 years, we're going to find out that this vaccination had some awful side effects (much like the medication that was given out for morning sickness to pregnant women..i think it's was 50s/60s?)

Old 07-23-2009 at 03:06 PM   #9
daisy

You may or may not find this of interest: http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/

Article Tools