MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Postal code? adt92 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-11-2010 06:53 PM
Best area code to call Toronto/Brampton from Mac bubblegum3 Computers & Tech 35 08-19-2010 01:53 AM
Cliff Jumping in the area lawleypop Athletics & Recreation 23 03-04-2010 04:29 PM
New Laptop Area in Mills! KristaG General Discussion 1 12-14-2007 08:00 PM

Hamilton Area Code?

Old 08-24-2008 at 11:16 PM   #16
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I don't think they would run out of operators, for all we know they are outsourcing to other countries XD
Old 08-24-2008 at 11:20 PM   #17
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

I wouldn't be surprised. Whenever you call tech support for something, like Dell, you always get someone in another country who's time zone is like 5 hours ahead of yours.

Old 08-24-2008 at 11:52 PM   #18
MohitB

Liked: 3 Times

I got my Hamilton number last week, it took me 10 minutes but I found a great 905 number. I barely saw any 289 numbers when the person was showing me the list of numbers.
Old 08-25-2008 at 01:06 AM   #19
Ruggedman

Liked: 0 Times

When i get to hamilton, i will be using a 905 number and i currently live in Oakville.

Will i have to endure long distance charges?
Old 08-25-2008 at 01:17 AM   #20
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I believe so. My family friends that live in Oakville have to pay long distance to call Hamilton.

Edit: Using landlines....
Old 08-25-2008 at 08:07 AM   #21
Sunshine

Liked: Liked 2 Times

I think it depends on where exactly in Oakville you live because I live in Burlington but really close to Burloak and calling Hamilton from my house isn't long distance.
Old 08-25-2008 at 09:58 AM   #22
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggedman View Post
When i get to hamilton, i will be using a 905 number and i currently live in Oakville.

Yes you will. Sorry.

Old 08-25-2008 at 10:14 PM   #23
yevenbother

i recently just got my cell phone, and the number I got was 289, because my home number is 905, and its just a pain...atleast this way my friends r aware of the long distance charges
Old 08-25-2008 at 10:55 PM   #24
scott000

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:

Unfortunately yes. I live in Burlington and had an Oakville number prior to moving into res. In Hamilton my number was long distance. By switching to the Hamilton network, I was able to make local calls in Hamilton AND Burlington. Unfortunately I don't think that'll work for Oakville.
Old 08-25-2008 at 11:00 PM   #25
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:

Hard to say for sure. I have a Hamilton number, and when I'm around Third Line I can call back to Hamilton locally without a problem (Virgin phone, Bell network). Other networks may be different, and even the direction that you were travelling from could affect it - it all depends on what cell towers you're connected to, and how far they are from your local area. Oakville is sort of on the fringe of the Hamilton local area for cell phones...I've made it as far as Winston Churchill before without paying long distance, but not always. Things are a little different when you're moving fast in a car and constantly switching between cell towers.
Old 08-26-2008 at 01:05 AM   #26
cutey130

it is the same thing in toronto everyone's house number is 416 but some ppls cell numbers are 647
Old 08-26-2008 at 01:12 AM   #27
cutey130

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutey130 View Post
it is the same thing in toronto everyone's house number is 416 but some ppls cell numbers are 647
I didnt realize this topic had 3 pages i only read the first one.oops! I wanted to know if i change my phone number 4 hamilton when i go back to toronto do i have to change it again or can i get 2 sim cards put one number with one sim and the other number with the next sim
Old 08-26-2008 at 01:35 AM   #28
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

I *think* that you can just swap between 2 SIMs to switch numbers, but I'm pretty sure that will also mean that you have to pay for two different plans on the same phone at the same time. In other words, if you want to keep your current phone and your current Toronto number for when you move back there, then you'll have to keep paying for that Toronto number on whatever plan you had while you're here. While in Hamilton, you can put in a Hamilton SIM and use a Hamilton number, but since it's a new number it probably has to have a new plan associated with it. So I think you'd be paying twice, in that case - and it probably isn't worth it.

Most people just change their number when they move to Hamilton. Some carriers charge for doing that, some don't - but just know you probably won't get your old number back when you go back to Toronto.
Old 08-26-2008 at 09:43 AM   #29
thatdudeukno

I am reposting this, I found it on HowardForums:

I have a oakville number with starting with 905-616, there are also other numbers taht start with 289 area code. Basically all students in Hamilton Mcmaster that are from toronto have this oakville number and this is how it works and has been working:

1) Incomming calls to your 905-616 or 289 number you will not get charged for whether you are in Hamilton or GTA

2) The only instance you get charged long distance is if you are in Hamilton and Dialing a Toronto Number or you are in Toronto and dialing a Hamilton number.

3) Of course like you normally can, when you are in Hamilton you can call hamilton numbers as it is local, and when in GTA you can call toronto numbers as it is local

I and many many other students have been using an oakville number for years now without any charges when receiving calls in both Toronto and Hamilton.