MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HSR to burlington Ish001 Automotive & Transportation 12 09-09-2011 12:36 PM
Ball hockey leagues in the Hamilton/Burlington area Biochem47 Athletics & Recreation 4 06-19-2011 04:37 PM
how to get from hamilton to burlington GO bus station? killza General Discussion 10 11-14-2010 11:22 AM

From Hamilton to Burlington

Old 08-18-2014 at 09:42 PM   #1
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

From Hamilton to Burlington
Does the student card work with Burlington Transit? I was searching on google maps to go from the Hamilton GO station and take the Burlington #1 Bus or 101. I think I may go to IKEA in burlington, whats the best way to go? Can someone also explain to me how GO bus works? Is it a separate bus that just goes from point A to B or is it kind of like a city bus that has a bunch of stops? I'm really confused with all these different companies
Old 08-19-2014 at 01:50 AM   #2
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Google maps already gives you the best way to go. Looks like that's by taking the 1 or 101 (the express) and walking for 5 minutes.

You can transfer for free from the HSR to the Burlington Bus by just showing your student card like usual, but on the way back you'll have to pay the fare for the burlington bus and then transfer for free onto the HSR again. I suppose you could ask the bus driver on the first HSR bus you take for a paper transfer for the burlington bus, then if you're done within the 2 hr time you can use that to avoid paying the burlington fare on the way back (but i'm not sure if that works, hoping someone else will correct/confirm)

the GO bus is an entirely different system. student cards don't get you on it for free, and it has higher rates. it has stops within each city but it's primarily used to go from one city to another. I'm pretty sure it's cheaper to just take the 1 or 101 in this case.
Old 08-19-2014 at 05:18 AM   #3
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

If you use a PRESTO card (which you totally should be) you can set it to have a student discount at Compass in the student centre. It saves you something like 17% on GO fares. GO is our regional transit system. There are stops at McMaster as well as downtown. If you wanted to get to IKEA you would take the HSR to Main at Dundurn, walk up to King and take the Lakeshore West GO bus. It will cost you a few dollars more than the city buses in total but it's much faster and more comfortable.
Old 08-19-2014 at 04:35 PM   #4
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

It might be best to take 1X or 101 Burlington bus to get to Ikea as it will take you close there. I don't know if the Burlington Transit will accept the McMaster Student Card as it is only meant for HSR buses. In this case, you can use a Presto card to pay for both HSR and Burlington Transit and you pay lower than the regular bus fare. I bus to Burlington all the time to go to work and I use my presto card.

Bus fare for HSR: $2.55, Presto: $2.00
Bus fare for Burlington Transit: $3.25, Presto: $2.70
Old 08-19-2014 at 08:11 PM   #5
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

There is no good and convenient option. Especially on weekends.

GO Transit option is probably faster on weekdays, but it comes at the expense of being more expensive by close to $4. It also is only a valid option on weekdays. You're at the whim of the 1X, which stops at Aldershot GO, actually being there and going East. And don't even think about doing the 1X on the weekend-- because it doesn't run. Nor should you expect to do the 1X after 7pm, either-- it stops running and goes on Plains Road only.

Best bet is probably to get downtown on anything (B-Line is fastest, weekdays only) and take the 101. It skips Aldershot GO. 1X will take a few minutes longer. After 7pm, and on weekends, it will just be the 1 (East).

You will want to ask the HSR driver for a transfer. If you're in and out fast enough, you may be able to avoid the Burlington Transit fare; otherwise, you'll be out $2.70 (PRESTO)/$3.25 (cash).