MacInsiders Logo

What happens if you do REALLY bad in a course?

Old 08-24-2011 at 07:14 PM   #1
BeAll_EndAll

Liked: 57 Times

What happens if you do REALLY bad in a course?
I decided to take two courses this summer along with having a full time job.

I ended up getting a D in one of the course, which is the lowest mark I've gotten at Mac (my 2nd is B-...). Reason for doing so poorly is because I didnt have any time to study for the course because of work from 7-5, then class at 6...

Anyways, I was wondering if theres a way to upgrade your mark? What happens if I retake the course in normal school in the fall and end up doing way better?

Thanks
Old 08-24-2011 at 07:28 PM   #2
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

It will be the average of the 2 marks.
Old 08-24-2011 at 07:43 PM   #3
katrinabell

Liked: 19 Times

If you're only in second year, you're better to just suck up the fact that you got a bad mark and continue to do well during term. I know tons of people who have grades 1-4 but also have grades 10-12 so its not going to be that harmful overall.

BeAll_EndAll says thanks to katrinabell for this post.
Old 08-24-2011 at 07:57 PM   #4
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

if you repeat a course, both the initial and second attempt will count in your GPA. It's not an average of the two marks nor is it the best of two. Unless you need a particular mark, it would be a waste of money.
Old 08-24-2011 at 08:00 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
Unless you need a particular mark, it would be a waste of money.
Or if you need to re-learn the material for upper level courses.
Old 08-24-2011 at 09:28 PM   #6
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

a low mark will scar you forever at mac.

Put your schooling in high gear and the grade may go to the way-side
Old 08-24-2011 at 09:32 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

[quote=BeAll_EndAll;27 2078What happens if you do REALLY bad in a course?[/quote]

You die! Its painful!

mediagurl likes this.
Old 08-25-2011 at 10:01 AM   #8
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeAll_EndAll View Post
I decided to take two courses this summer along with having a full time job.

I ended up getting a D in one of the course, which is the lowest mark I've gotten at Mac (my 2nd is B-...). Reason for doing so poorly is because I didnt have any time to study for the course because of work from 7-5, then class at 6...

Anyways, I was wondering if theres a way to upgrade your mark? What happens if I retake the course in normal school in the fall and end up doing way better?

Thanks
shoulda used common sense. if you have to go to class at 6 pm then wake up early for work at 7 (depending on how long your commute is), that doesn't leave much time to study.........unless your job is really easy and you can get a lot of your studying done then.

Last edited by tyrant : 08-25-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-25-2011 at 11:42 AM   #9
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedog123123 View Post
a low mark will scar you forever at mac.
Um...how so?
Old 08-25-2011 at 12:10 PM   #10
Chandlerowns

Liked: 67 Times

The way gpa is weighted a low mark does more harm then you would think honestly. I think an important lesson you learn here is that you don't have to do everything in one summer, and it can do more harm then good overall.
Old 08-25-2011 at 01:20 PM   #11
katrinabell

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
Um...how so?
It won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandlerowns View Post
The way gpa is weighted a low mark does more harm then you would think honestly. I think an important lesson you learn here is that you don't have to do everything in one summer, and it can do more harm then good overall.
It really doesn't effect it that much. Even getting a 1 in something will only drop your GPA for the year about 1 point, i.e. a B+ to a B.

Since OP said their next lowest grade is a B-, hypothetical marks could look something like this: "7,8,9,11,7,7,8,10,9, 8" (before the horrible summer grades). The GPA for this would be an 8.4. If they took two classes in the summer, let's assume they got a 7 in one of them and that the horrible mark is a 1, that bring their average down to a 7.6. In the course of 4 years (or more), 1 or 2 bad marks is not going to ruin you.
Old 08-25-2011 at 01:22 PM   #12
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandlerowns View Post

what he said

Not going to explain it but if you think about it you will see why lower marks kill you compare to higher marks when aiming for high average.
Old 08-25-2011 at 01:40 PM   #13
sparks-

Liked: 0 Times

I agree with this! However, take note that if you're considering dropping a course, one 'cancel' on your transcript won't do any harm for applications to professional programs, etc. Of course, having 2-3 or more 'cancel's would be harmful.
Old 08-25-2011 at 03:54 PM   #14
BeAll_EndAll

Liked: 57 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedog123123 View Post
what he said

Not going to explain it but if you think about it you will see why lower marks kill you compare to higher marks when aiming for high average.

So...what happens if I redo the course this fall and get a 12?
Old 08-25-2011 at 04:08 PM   #15
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrinabell View Post
It won't.

It really doesn't effect it that much. Even getting a 1 in something will only drop your GPA for the year about 1 point, i.e. a B+ to a B.

Since OP said their next lowest grade is a B-, hypothetical marks could look something like this: "7,8,9,11,7,7,8,10,9, 8" (before the horrible summer grades). The GPA for this would be an 8.4. If they took two classes in the summer, let's assume they got a 7 in one of them and that the horrible mark is a 1, that bring their average down to a 7.6. In the course of 4 years (or more), 1 or 2 bad marks is not going to ruin you.
so no graduate school for you then? lol jk....kind of.